• Breaking News

    Tuesday, September 7, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress I was just chilling, building the foundation of my new settlement, then after the first Spring, he came in the first wave of migrants. "Mother, forgive me...".

    Dwarf Fortress I was just chilling, building the foundation of my new settlement, then after the first Spring, he came in the first wave of migrants. "Mother, forgive me...".


    I was just chilling, building the foundation of my new settlement, then after the first Spring, he came in the first wave of migrants. "Mother, forgive me...".

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 05:18 AM PDT

    This game creates such crazy lore when you look in legends mode

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 09:33 PM PDT

    I'm a newb and never really fooled around with anything other than fortress mode, but with a little help from DFhack I can see what's going on in my world as it's happening. I ended up playing as a dying civilization, but had no idea why - that had never happened to me before. Turns out a Mountain Titan by the name of Eslo Goldumbras (the Twig of Crows) had been going out for hundreds of years, killing almost exclusively dwarves. He was responsible for all of the world's dwarven fortresses but one falling, and that last one wasn't much better off. It was constantly assaulted by night trolls, and it's now controlled by a group of elves.

    Eslo inevitably visits my fortress and gets struck down by a hammer-dwarf. Having slayed the beast that had killed so many of his kind and brought them to the brink of extinction, he named his hammer "The Age of Burials". Holy shit. That fits so well considering that he killed the creature that nearly destroyed the dwarven race - an age of burials if I ever heard one.

    It still blows me away how much detail this game has. Everyone is tracked. Hell, a were-bear attacked me just a few minutes ago and I spent some time reading up about her in Legends mode. She got married, had kids, became obsessed with her own mortality, defaced a shrine, got cursed, and then fled. A few decades later, all her kids died while wandering the land because they encountered 18 giant elephants. She killed and devoured an elf who had been leading a bunch of attacks on a human settlement, and the attacks stopped getting such glowing commentary about how masterful their tactics were. Eventually, the attacks stopped. This girl shaped history.

    This game is absolutely amazing. I cannot get over how the world is filled with stories if you just dig a little and connect a few dots.

    edit: cripes, thanks for the awards! I thought I was just sharing a story.

    submitted by /u/PlankLengthIsNull
    [link] [comments]

    First time i've ever had a dwarf died of old age, i didn't even think it was possible.

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 11:09 AM PDT

    Urist McDumbass

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 10:36 AM PDT

    Two dwarves try to recover a corpse, there were no survivors. It started with flooding what was going to be the entrance to the Fort. Ok, fine, I'll just pump the water out later and finish then. So i build a temporary floor bridge one z level up. For reasons unknown, a dwarf is dead under the bridge with blood on every wall lining the basin (I'm assuming alligators). That's not all, after the corpse is found, two brave (idiotic) Heroes (Dumbasses) jump in to recover the body, But they cant get back up due to water flowing from the aquifer. I order a miner to dig a path seen to the right (not before taking his time storing food) but the two keep trying the same path ignoring the freshly made one. I tried messing with paths and forbidden zones, they both promptly drowned. From now on I will make a special graveyard for dwarves like this ---(k-d)

    submitted by /u/Crazy_Hollow
    [link] [comments]

    Combat is stupid

    Posted: 07 Sep 2021 12:51 AM PDT

    So I've just had a human with all arms and legs broken beat a dwarf to death.

    And I'm tired of animals and creatures with serious spinal injuries, missing limbs and fatal conditions fighting as though nothing is wrong.

    But you can kill anything if you can damage its feet and it falls over.

    Rant over, but this has been annoying me.

    submitted by /u/NZSloth
    [link] [comments]

    TIL How to Fix a Conquering Administrator

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 08:15 PM PDT

    I retired a fortress and saw it immediately overrun by a thousand goblins. So with my next fortress, I reconquered and occupied it. I retired my current fortress and reclaimed the orignal one. I found 750 goblins and dwarves living in sin.

    But I had a single noble, the forced administrator. Only he can't appoint anyone else! I had to trade blind, I couldn't peruse my stocks, but worse yet... no military! That seems like a basic requirement for a martial governor.

    I tried editing the raws in both the save and default locations, but they had no effect. The noble information seems to be stored in the dat files per civilization instance. This FPS-slaying map has a perfect set up for obsidian farming and I'm not letting go.

    So I dive into DFHack's lua API. Where's this administrator?

    units = df.global.world.units.active numUnits = #units print( dfhack.units.getVisibleName( units[i] ) ) 

    My guy turns out to be unit 506:

    for i=0, numUnits-1 do local noble_positions = dfhack.units.getNoblePositions( units[i] ) if noble_positions ~= nil then print( i .. " " ); print( noble_positions ) end end 

    The noble positions table is supposed to have (historical) entity, assignment, and position entries...

    for index, data in ipairs(noble_positions) do print(index) for key, value in pairs(data) do print('\t', key, value) end end 

    Standard lua allows us to spy on say... the dfhack table, as well! This utility function allows us to snoop around more easily:

    function desc( thing ) for key, value in pairs(thing) do print('\t', key, value) end end 

    NoblePositions table contains a position of type entity_position and assignment is an entity_position_assignment.

    desc( dfhack.units.getNoblePositions( units[506] )[1] ) 

    In the entity_position table, it shows "code FORCED_ADMINISTRATOR" as well as empty appointed_by vector:

    desc( dfhack.units.getNoblePositions( units[506] )[1].position ) 

    That table contains a list of named booleans for what the noble is responsible for! I was able to set the ones I wanted and it even persisted across a load... I am able to set the bookkeeper's precision now!! But wait... I still can't create squads on the military screen.

    desc( dfhack.units.getNoblePositions( units[506] )[1].position.responsibilities ) 

    To add a military, I have to find the MILITIA_COMMANDER's noble position entry and add the FORCED_ADMINISTRATOR to his APPOINTED_BY list. But dfhack doesn't expose that directly?! I couldn't find it, anyway.

    The entity_position table has a squad string array... 2 entries, both empty, and an entry for squad_size, so I'm guessing the two strings are singular and plural guard names. Maybe I can give the administrator those red dudes from Return of the Jedi?

    dfhack.units.getNoblePositions( units[506] )[1].position.squad_size = 10 dfhack.units.getNoblePositions( units[506] )[1].position.squad[0] = "conquistador" dfhack.units.getNoblePositions( units[506] )[1].position.squad[1] = "conquistadors" 

    Aw, yeah baby! The HammerLords are back! Now I need to figure out how to create more squads, so I can put those 500 shiftless goblins on the march.

    Again, the right way to fix this would be to simply allow the working nobles to be appointed by the administrator. It should be an easy fix in the raws, if you're not in the middle of a campaign. I put in a bug report, but I've found so many other bugs... yeah well.

    Anyways, I honestly didn't know if this was going to end my campaign. Now I know why I fear the night. I hope this adventure helps someone get around a show-stopper of theirs.

    submitted by /u/HawkslayerHawkslayer
    [link] [comments]

    That boy ain't right.

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 03:51 PM PDT

    LinuxDwarfPack 0.47.05-r3 (DFHack r3)

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 02:03 PM PDT

    Simple pack for Linux that includes:

    * DwarfFortress 0.47.05

    * DFHack 0.47.05-r3 + TwbT + kloker

    * Dwarf Therapist v41.2.2

    * Legends Browser v1.19.2

    * Announcement Window v1.3.0

    * SoundSense-RS v1.5.1

    * compatible DFGraphics tilesets: Spacefox, Ironhand, Phoebus, Vettlingr, Meph ...

    Ubuntu/Debian and tar.bz2 packages available here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=7393

    deb, rpm, arch and AppImage versions also available here: https://github.com/McArcady/lnp-forge/releases/tag/0.47.05-r3

    For feedback or support, see: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=157712.0

    submitted by /u/McArcady
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf Fortress == The Sims+

    Posted: 06 Sep 2021 05:30 PM PDT

    We are playing the sims the way it was meant to be played lol.

    [Edit:] FYI I love this fucking game people. I told my gf its alot like sims and she said when the tileset releases and its not a graphical mess. She wpuld be interested. So chill on the hate

    submitted by /u/Public-Dimension-956
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment