• Breaking News

    Monday, June 14, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 07:22 AM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I present a lore-friendly name for Dwarfbucks…

    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 09:01 AM PDT

    Hi all,

    I am a big fan of the codified dwarven language project (CDL) by Solitarian on the Bay12 Forums. It always bothered me that the only word we had for currency was Dwarfbucks, which sounds a bit too jarring for a big roleplayer like me. Instead, inspired by the CDL, I decided to come up with a name that has a real dwarven sound to it.

    The ancient name would be: Zatthudduthal (pronounced zat-thud-uth-al).

    A shorter version, perhaps eroded over time for ease of use, is Zatthal (pronounced Zat-thal).

    Finally, the most eroded form would be Zathal (pronounced Zath-al).

    The etymology is Zatthud (Judge) and Duthal (worth) for that is what a currency does - ascribes a judgement of worth to an object.

    Let me know what you all think! I hope those of you out there like me, the role players, will be pleased to finally have a word that doesn't sound like a lazy rip-off of the American currency.

    Merry mining, fine folks!

    submitted by /u/JoDo_n_JubJub
    [link] [comments]

    Diary of a Dwarf, Day 2: I have entered the forest, it is odly peaceful, I am gonna rest at the river side and eat some fish and drink beer, I can see a pack of wolves at 80 feet from me, I think they have not seen me.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 07:26 PM PDT

    My latest video is on Corpse and Refuse Piles, and Garbage Dumps! A new short format I call a μLesson (micro lesson).

    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 05:05 AM PDT

    I found a cave!!! it looks so scary! it has tones of dense moss, spiderwebs and dead cave birds!

    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 09:12 AM PDT

    Not sure how to claim beast teeth for crafts

    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 06:25 AM PDT

    Had a Hydra attack my current fort, second beast so far. Sent out my axedwarf squadron and they chopped it good. One of them landed a strike onto its teeth sending them flying in all directions and theyre currently sitting just outside of the walled perimeter/moat. I have an order set up through my manager to construct teeth/ivory amulets and a refuse pile (for teeth) next to the craftsdwarves workshops but they dont seem to be placing the teeth in the stockpile or even grabbing them for crafts. Am I missing something?

    submitted by /u/PoopMootDootToot
    [link] [comments]

    Bridge Megaproject: Stonesense pictures of the bridge I spent the last couple weeks on

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 08:12 PM PDT

    Green flickering lines on startup. game unplayable. all help appreciated!

    Posted: 14 Jun 2021 10:25 AM PDT

    So I know that loosing is fun but...

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 07:17 PM PDT

    So I know that loosing is fun but...

    https://preview.redd.it/4iz2iitq45571.png?width=1053&format=png&auto=webp&s=aa2b82584eaebad19413493343a56113ab8006bd

    This is the third siege of this fortress. I went from 153 citizens -> 57. only 7 left aren't children. After my 4 militia squads died, I scraped up a horde of farmers to kill the last trolls. This fortress is greatly devastated, but STILL STANDING

    submitted by /u/coolestardude
    [link] [comments]

    Talk about overeating.

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 02:36 PM PDT

    A Weekend of DF and other DF like Games – The Newbie Experience

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 04:16 PM PDT

    A Weekend of DF and other DF like Games – The Newbie Experience

    I wanted to bring some fresh and clean eyes to the DF experience this weekend. I wanted to say first how I love and excited to play DF. I enjoy the immense storyline and the ability to do almost anything. I spent I say years thinking about this game and how it would be, but all the time was thinking ASCII really? Well, now that I stopped reading the game details, and venting, let me get to the meat of what I think.

    First, after spending 2-4 hours trying to decide on ASCII or LNP and getting advice from you all here in the group, I went with ASCII. I did ASCII because I wanted to experience the game raw and vanilla. I spent some time with DF and I can say I spent Fri/sat all day on the game, Videos, forums, WIKI, then playing because I wanted to learn. Then decided to take a break. I had issues with stairs, keeping gnomes alive, thirst set in, unable to make workshops, and half the time I could not figure out what menu to use. Now even all, it still intrigues me.

    I can say without a doubt that ASCII is not for me I just cannot keep things straight. I even grew up in the age of ASCII games from 1979 until the present, but right now It's not for me but very excited about the Steam release. Now, I do not need a very advanced 3D graphic game like Going Medieval, which I tried over this week, and was turned off because it was, let us say it "not DF" lol.

    I can tell you based on my playstyle is too aggressive, I need to focus more on the basics (Food, Shelter, and Dig) Dig is what I do later then I find out I do not have stone lol then Gnomes start dropping. Now, I have also played today, Gnomoria and Ingnomia which is like a DF game, and enjoyed them.

    I hope to get the LNP a try tonight because I want to really get into the whole DF experience without ASCII 😊. What tilesets should I use? Is the spreadsheet really needed to keep track of gnomes? Also, what does the whole DFhack thing about?

    I will now focus on LNP and try and learn the game in hopes it will also help me when the release comes out. If it's anything like "Gnomoria" but on crack, I'll be excited.

    submitted by /u/Ravenx2020
    [link] [comments]

    Last night I finished customizing my favorite tileset! I took the best parts of Tergel (text) and Lonesome (colored backgrounds). Thanks to everyone who helped me a couple days ago deciding if I should play vanilla or DF hack, I decided for vanilla with a couple utilities + custom tileset!

    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 08:17 AM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment