• Breaking News

    Monday, January 18, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 06:22 AM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Accidentally made a troglodyte breeding program

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 05:01 AM PST

    My attempt at an archery training range was going well. I made a pit 2 Z-levels deep (edit: with smooth walls and fortifications around the top) and placed my cages full of hapless troglodytes. A drawbridge seals the pit from the fortress, and with the pull of a lever it can be cleaned out and precious ammunition can be retrieved. A second lever is hooked to the cages to safely release the practice targets prisoners.

    However...I unwittingly drafted several of the most depression prone dwarves in the fortress into my marksdwarf squads. After peppering the troglodytes with bone bolts for a while 4 of my dwarves were beginning to suffer the effects of their atrocities.

    I decided to shut down the archery training until I could be bothered to weed out the weaklings from the squads. Sealed off both the shooting gallery and the pit where several trogs were still wandering around.

    Then I get this lovely announcement... informing me that one of the troglodytes has given birth. I checked the pit and sure enough there's a baby troglodyte in there now, along with the adults that were there before.

    I suppose I've got a slow way to replenish my stock of prisoners now. Which is good because the forgotten beast in my caverns has kind of cut off my supply of military training dummies.

    submitted by /u/Wolvenna
    [link] [comments]

    My 15-year-old son is doing his first experience with Dwarf Fortress as a livestream now

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 10:40 AM PST

    Hello everyone. Join me for brief a toast.. **lifts drink**

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 07:56 AM PST

    To all the lost world gens that never quite made it to the end.

    Sure, you seemed interesting, as most world gens do, but you were clearly a special one. That is why I would wait several hours, if necessary, just to see what you could become. Your unique mysteries and legends may be lost forever but certainly not forgotten.

    To that, we honor you.

    Cheers.

    submitted by /u/Count_Triple
    [link] [comments]

    Cat Tallow Roast with Fish Tallow, Dog Tallow, and Turkey Tallow, served alongside Beer Roast containing Cherry Wine and Yak Meat. :) I hadn't drawn Dwarf Fortress Food before. SO MUCH MINCING. Also the cat face is made from raisins because it needed to be more cursed.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 04:52 PM PST

    DevLog 17 January 2021: "Next up... the promised interim release 0.47.05 for the old version, sometime in the next week or two."

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 11:08 PM PST

    Twitch Plays Dwarf Fortress!

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 11:23 AM PST

    Hey I'm beta testing this, if you guys have suggestions about it, let me know. Feel free to jump in chat and check out the commands. I've written a dfhack plugin so I can toggle you guys being able to get to the options menu and chat commands are turned into keystrokes with python.

    If there's interest in it here, I can set up another pc and 24-7 it, too.

    I can do fortress mode too I suppose, but I was scared about designating the entire map and people just digging holes.

    Also let me know about the visuals. Personally I'm a curses16x16 guy but I know some people really love their tile sets and the lazy newb pack.

    http://www.twitch.tv/risingsunz

    edit: thanks to everyone including kruggsmash who hopped in the chat! what I'll probably do is set up some regex or aliases for commands so you can type "jump" instead of just "j" or keystroke combinations like "uuuuu" to move up 5 paces

    submitted by /u/sundabun
    [link] [comments]

    The more I see of Steam, the more I feel like I would be relearning the game 100%, maybe even too complicated (yes, irony)

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 12:30 PM PST

    I can say in honesty that I'm a DF vet, as much an expert as anyone can relatively be. The more I see of the Steam release, the more I get the sense that the interface is being redesigned to the point that it will be completely alien to me. Admittedly, a portion of that comes down to muscle memory, but still.

    I think a lot of old players may be surprised that they are unable to immediately navigate the new interface based on experience with the old. I'm still buying of course, but keeping in mind that I'll need a grace period learn the controls again.

    submitted by /u/Immortal-D
    [link] [comments]

    Ah yes, the cubes are made of cubes.

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 09:22 AM PST

    Just thought that everyone should know that my girlfriend just renamed DF to Gnome Home.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:00 PM PST

    I'm in favor, honestly.

    submitted by /u/wildechem
    [link] [comments]

    Adventurecraft Mod Update

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 11:23 PM PST

    It's been a while since I've really mucked about with a mod update at all, I eventually got the time and energy to tinker with something for once. I decided to revive a minor idea I had messed around with for an unreleased mod, and managed to salvage it for Adventurecraft instead. The unreleased mod idea would've heavily altered the landscape to be bleaker and heavily infested with alien growth, but the minor feature that I retained interest in was the idea of early gunpowder weapons, and reactions for the required process to make gunpowder.

    Link to the mod is here: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14758

    Summary of changes:

    1. Added primitive gunpowder weapons, mainly fire lances and hand cannons. These require explicit assembly in fort mode, and can be made in adventure mode too.

    2. Relevant reactions for gunpowder production added to fortress mode. You can grind up saltpeter and brimstone directly, then use them together with charcoal or refined coal to make gunpowder, all using milling at a quern or millstone.

    3. Alternative reactions for producing sulfur at a kiln, using galena or pyrite as sulfide minerals.

    4. Alternative reaction for producing saltpeter at a farmer's workshop, using any plant you can turn into flour or thread, plus potash. This method is based off the method of making niter beds.

    5. Added a reaction for producing potash from sylvite, adding another option for the potash needed for the niter bed reaction.

    6. Added fort-mode recipes for producing fire lances and hand cannons, as well as powder and shot, both metal and stone.

    7. Added gun barrels to dwarven tool selection so they can produce and embark with them. The weapons and ammo will still need to be assembled on-site, so they will likely not count as native weapons.

    8. Added fire lances, shot, and gun barrels to the human and goblin civs.

    9. Added adventure mode reactions for making charcoal and ash from logs.

    10. Changed adventure mode smithing to use charcoal instead of logs.

    11. Saltpeter production and gunpowder for adventure mode. Recipe is a bit simplified since there's basically no viable option for sulfur innawoods.

    12. Added relevant reactions to make gun barrels, fire lances, hand cannons, and ammo in adventure mode.

    13. Buffed shear value of lead a bit, to perform closer to bismuth when used for gunpowder weapons.

    14. Misc fix to tool use for baking bread.

    submitted by /u/Chaosvolt
    [link] [comments]

    Beak dog.

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 01:04 PM PST

    Finally got t destress my "princess"

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 07:57 PM PST

    So fort to preface this:

    I'm currently playing squamous' mod The Long Night, it's a great mod, even if you're not that familiar with the base game, it's a post-apocalyptic setting, with a lot of the raws "trimmed" to contain pretty basic yet distinct stuff, though for the civilizations and the living creatures it's the complete opposite, with a lot of different playable races and a lot of fascinating creatures to ranch.

    Anyways, my current settlement consist of a group of "nobles", basically telepathic asians descended from the aristocracy of china, japan, vietnam, etc...

    I limited te population CAP to 20, to kind of get into a settler's constructing a new village vibe, so while my construction projects are going quite slow, I make sure to focus on important projects and to make sure that my villagers are happy.

    That said, one big thing I haven't done yet are the farms, as we can manage to get food by foraging and fishing, however, there are only mushrooms to be gathered, which don't allow for fermenting into alcohol, but because I have a river providing fresh water I don't really think about it too much.

    Now on to 'princess': She's a girl with depressive tendencies, I know because she's broken into melancholy quite a few times.

    I decide to see her preferences for food and drink, as we could perhaps cook some of her favorite dishes to cheer her up. However she's only fond of fruit™ beer and berries™, these are products of what are essentially "good"-aligned plants, and us in a remote island have no means of even trading for them, thus I can only assume that during her childhood she was pampered a bit, like a princess, hence the nickname.

    So she's getting depressed and we can't cheer her up with some cooking to remind her of home, so I make up a squad, no uniform, so she can practice some martial arts in the makeshift training room we have in the second room of the temple, I also throw in any other noble that has been unfocused in the past few days.

    Jump to a few months later, as I'm finishing up the construction of my barn I go check on her to see how she's doing, and to my surprise, she's doing alright! No more stress!

    So yeah, I want to thank squamous for the fun mod and SalfordSal for her research into dwarven psychology and how using military squads to reduce stress is very effective.

    submitted by /u/Redman9012
    [link] [comments]

    Lost Player

    Posted: 18 Jan 2021 03:45 AM PST

    Sorry guys, I'm back after a LONG time and... I'm having some difficulties in finding my way back into the game. There are so many new things that I don't know where to start again.

    Guilds? Temples?

    Can someone redirect me to maybe a not-too-long tutorial on those things, and maybe on the game in general so that I can re-learn how to play?

    submitted by /u/Lordubik88
    [link] [comments]

    Trying to come up with some cavern creatures I could mod in to spice things up a bit. Any ideas?

    Posted: 17 Jan 2021 06:14 PM PST

    I'm mostly thinking benign critters that the dwarves could tame and get some use out of, possibly providing subterranean alternatives to animals like sheep, etc, that yield less valuable resources as a tradeoff for avoiding surface ventures.

    So far, I've modded a buglike thing that's a grazer which can be milked for honey, which can then be brewed into dwarven mead. Best not think of what that honey really is for too long.

    submitted by /u/grimiest_w
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment