• Breaking News

    Monday, October 7, 2019

    Dwarf Fortress Extracting venom from weapons and applying them to your own in adventure mode

    Dwarf Fortress Extracting venom from weapons and applying them to your own in adventure mode


    Extracting venom from weapons and applying them to your own in adventure mode

    Posted: 07 Oct 2019 08:12 AM PDT

    I've tried looking up methods of poisoning weapons but they usually involved forgotten beasts or fortress mode. This method was discovered when I found a pool of venom randomly while stabbing things with poisoned darts. I then messed around with those pools which led to this.

    This requires 3 things. You need a water source, a weapon with venom already on it (usually from subterranean animal people), and an animal or companion.

    Take the venomous weapon, in my case it was a tower-cap blow dart with a helmet snake venom covering, and put it in your hand. Enter the water with it, and you will see a pool of venom form in the water tile. Normally, you can fill containers with an infinite amount of venom from a pool, but since it's in water it becomes laced with water, which is useless. In order to move it onto a land tile and purify it, you must move back and forth between the land and water tile until a pool of venom forms on the land tile because of the spatter spreading mechanic. This method of dwarven distillation concentrates the dilute venom in the water into a potent pool on land where you can either grab it with your hands or fill a water skin.

    There are three methods of using this against your enemies. You may rub it on your teeth for biting, on your hands for scratching, or put it on a weapon. To get it on your teeth and hands, you must strip naked (or the venom will only covers your clothes) and throw venom on a wall until a line of venom pools are created. Then you crouch (doesn't work with standing) with (s) and crawl across from pool to pool multiple times until the spattering and smears turn into coverings. A single pool will not work, you must crawl from one pool to another only, multiple times. I tested this with four pools. By pressing (e) you can see your body parts are now covered with venom, including the teeth and fingers. Biting something will transfer the venom into the enemy, you can see this by pressing (l) on the enemy and seeing if it transferred onto the body part you bit. The same applies to scratching. I tested this on a cave crocodile and the bitten and scratched body parts swelled up with blood, so I assume it worked. To poison a weapon, you throw the venom at your companion or animal and smack him bluntly (edge might cause blood spattering instead) on the part it landed on with your weapon. I tested this by throwing helmet snake venom at my gorlak companion and hitting him with the pommel of my large copper dagger until a covering of venom formed on the weapon. This might require multiple fresh venom coverings since I'm not sure if a full covering can form from hitting a spattering or smear multiple times. I then slashed the same cave crocodile, ran away, and waited until the part swelled up from the venom. If the weapon embeds, it ruins the venom covering instantly since it replaces it with a blood covering. However it's usually good for a few slashes, and not every attack is guaranteed to apply the venom.

    Have FUN.

    P.S I also found out if your hands are full you actually CAN (g)rab venom directly from the water since it sends it to the backpack. If you try grabbing it with empty hands it doesn't appear in your hands for some reason. And if you try putting (i)t in a water skin it becomes laced water. So in case the back and forth method doesn't work (which it doesn't sometimes) try this instead.

    submitted by /u/Mobilescrub
    [link] [comments]

    I couldn't find a minimalistic DF wallpaper that I liked for my new dual monitor setup, so I made one!

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 07:13 PM PDT

    Came back to a fort in progress and found I'd left myself some notes about my plans for expansion.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 12:09 PM PDT

    Thirty. Three. Days. Of. Dwarf: Day 7 (2019-10-07, 20:00EDT)

    Posted: 07 Oct 2019 08:05 AM PDT

    ---------------------------------------- !!EVENT NAVIGATION BAR!! ----------------------------------------

    <= Previous Day (Day 6)

    Series Start (Day 1)

    Next Day (Day 8) =>

    Want to get reminders? Sign up to the event for a reminder, or follow me on Twitter @Nirruden!

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    What in the name of the glowing pits is this about?

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    It is time to return to our roots, and so we shall.

    Thirty. Three. Days. Of. Dwarf.

    Starting on 10/1 and proceeding through the Extra Life 2019 Game Day event on 11/2, I'm going to stream and teach what I know.

    Every. Single. Day.

    ----------------------------------------But why?----------------------------------------

    I like to do things when there's more than one reason to do them:

    • I like to teach, or at least I have in the past.
    • People (crazy people, apparently) like my stream, when I do it.
    • People are always complaining that Dwarf Fortress is hard to learn. (Not really, but let's show it.)
    • It's for charity. I get to collect money for the very same hospital that once helped me as a child.
    • It raises the profile of Dwarf Fortress, a game I regard as a seminal work and personally enjoy.

    ----------------------------------------So how's this going to work?----------------------------------------

    Basically, I'll stream in the evenings most days for an hour or two. On Saturdays and Sundays, we'll generally run a little longer, but I'm going to stream every day if it means I have to get up at 3am to do it.

    On 11/2, we're going to culminate with a 24-hour long livestream, as part of the Extra Life charity event.

    I don't use Facebook, etc. and people may want to donate to Extra Life 2019, even if they're not supporting my efforts directly. Feel free to share my donations link, or to direct people to the charity's main page.

    ----------------------------------------So what's in it for viewers?----------------------------------------

    Well, aside from helping to support my local children's hospital (good vibes, ho!) I'll be pushing out tutorial game(s) live on stream as part of the event. Your donations are a spur in that direction applied to my backside. You can even attend the event with me, since I'll be broadcasting live on my stream the whole time!

    ...but if that's not enough for you?

    • I'm going to get a callout working for donations so everyone can see your generosity!

    Anonymous or not, if I can make it work, everyone will know you're supporting kids that need it.

    • Donate $10 or more and you may request to have a dwarf named in current and future forts!

    If you're not naming him something awful, it'll even happen. You're welcome to request a trade for the dwarf, if I have one suitable to match it! If we run more than one fort, donator dwarves will show up in all forts after the one where you donated!

    • For $25 or more, you can reserve one of the starting seven instead of a.. <.< >.> ...migrant.

    If none are available, I'll have to use a migrant. (I won't be advising when the window closes. We call this 'Early cat catches the dwarf'. Move fast, some have already been claimed.) As above, if you donate on the first fort of our event, we'll put that same dwarf into the starting seven every fort thereafter!

    • For a donation of $100, I'll let you flip the script for a bit.

    Want me to embark on a reanimating evil biome with a necromancer next door? It's your call. I'll save the current stream fort, and start a new one on the spot with settings as close to your request as I can manage on the fly, and run with it until it dies or I do. If someone else flips the script on you before I finish, you can either donate again to flip if back or wait for their fort to exhaust before I resume yours. Your choice. (We call this one 'Last dwarf gets the sock.')

    • Feeling your oats? If you're willing to drop $500, I'll let you flip the whole table and pick the game I'm playing!

    Some limits on this are required for sanity's sake.

    If you're really thinking you'd like to do this, send me a message and we'll work out the details beforehand! At some point, I'll get back to the stream fort, but for a truly generous donation, I'm 100% willing to give up some time and show off anything you'd like, live and on the spot. You can find a link to my Steam profile (which contains a list of potential games I could probably get set up for streaming) here if you're considering this. (And if it's something we can do multiplayer, we can even try that too, which would be a stream first.)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Wait....Thirty days of tutorials for Dwarf Fortress as part of a charity drive?

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thirty-three days, actually. It was the wife's idea - she suggested that you folks might like to get a newer version of my original tutorial, and that this might be a good avenue to combine hardcore Dwarf Fortress fanatics, who are already a generous and supporting community, with a charitable cause to support. I didn't have much luck finding a flaw in her reasoning, so I bit the bullet and advertised it at work, too, despite my trepidation regarding drawing personal attention there.

    ---------------------------------------- New and Uncertain Players: ----------------------------------------

    We'll be putting the newest version of the starter pack and Dwarf Fortress through its paces as we (attempt to) start a new tutorial series for v 0.44.12. (Note: If there's an update and it seems relatively bug free, I'll try for the newer version, but I'm aiming this at newer players, so trying to ride the cutting edge isn't really in the cards.)

    Past demonstrations (From v.34 to present) have included glaciers, deserts, sites with necromancer towers adjacent, as well as discussion on how to influence worldgen to get what you want. Our first one will be a more sedate embark, designed and chosen for relatively newer players, and we'll start with worldgen as though we're looking at a fresh install.

    Goal:

    My goal for "Tutorial Night" is to walk new players through an embark using the DF Starter Pack. (Explicit thanks to /u/PeridexisErrant who I admire for his dedication, which is studded with perseverance and ringed with bands of my gratitude! Without his efforts, a tutorial for installing and configuring everything for the game and its add-ons would be a sizable task unto itself. I've devoted multiple-hours of stream to demonstrating it 'the hard way'!)

    Along the way, I'll provide examples of the setup and tools I use to play Dwarf Fortress, as a guidepost for new players.

    What I'm really trying to do is give new players a reference point they can come back to on how to set up a world, embark on a site, and stand a reasonable chance of employing a fairly basic and standard design to build a workable fortress wherever they may need to start one.

    Stream Info:

    The channel rules are simple: Respect Wheaton's Law and you'll be fine. Just don't expect the content of the broadcast to be 100% suitable for children; Sorry, kids. I'm much too low-brow for a guaranteed clean broadcast. Get your parents' permission, etc etc.

    If you have questions you might like answered with a demonstration, and not simply a quick post in the weekly questions thread, I'm your guy. I'll do my best to demonstrate just about anything you can think up - aquifers, megaprojects and magma pistons aside. (Minecarts may get covered, but don't expect anything computational or timer based - I'm a casual player, not a dwarven mechanical engineer.)

    You can view the stream here, as well as on the donations page for Extra Life.

    Later Goals:

    At some point in this fortress, I'll walk players through my 'most commonly used' tools in DFHack and in the utilities that come packaged in the DF Starter Pack and how I use them to construct a simple, basic, and tightly run fortress that can support as many dwarves as my PC can haul, defend itself against all comers, and handle just about anything. I also will demonstrate Quickfort at some point for those who've never taken advantage of it!

    We'll certainly touch on Dwarf Therapist, and discuss how I use it to control the behavior and organization of my ants dwarves, including a demonstration of custom professions in action. Sound will be provided by Soundsense so that you're not listening to me play in silence during any lulls, and the off-topic interaction between the audience and myself tends toward the lively (and often ribald).

    New players, your questions (no matter how 'silly' you may think they are) are 100% welcome, as they're the whole point to the broadcast! Join us and ask them!

    If you can't make it (or are not willing to brave my often vulgar displays of unsuitability) and still have questions you can't seem to figure out, post them in the DF Bi-Weekly Questions Thread for this week and I'll do my best to help you overcome your obstacles, if the expert players haven't gotten there first!

    (Obligatory: Yesss... Join usss... Join the Dark Side... We have cookies!)

    ---------------------------------------- More advanced players: ----------------------------------------

    On that note, experienced players who want to follow along are certainly welcome (and often manage to teach me a thing or two, directly or not) but the main thrust of the stream will be to help new players get over the introductory hump to start playing at a deeper level, so you may find yourself paying less attention to the pace of the stream and more attention to your fellow audience members. I do love having a few veterans show up, though, because my fortress designs always get better when I'm shown a method I've never used!

    ----------------------------------------Parting Words---------------------------------------

    Please don't go. The children need you.

    Please donate if you are able.

    On behalf of Riley and Extra Life: Thank you, in advance, for your generosity!

    ----------------------------------------Progress Readout----------------------------------------

    1. Day 6 complete, signposts added to Day 7 landing page for prior day.
    2. Day 6 landing page updated to link to series/next day. Complete.
    3. Thirty-Three Days of Dwarf: Day 7. Pending Day 7 completion. - 20:00EDT.
    4. Day 7 Youtube Upload. Pending completion of Day 7.
    submitted by /u/Nameless_Archon
    [link] [comments]

    I always feel like the villain!

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 11:56 PM PDT

    I started a new adventurer in hopes to become a great hero and destroy all those nasty clowns. Throughout my endeavours, I found some decent gear, even a nice iron two handed sword which I could wield in one hand. I practiced my skills on some ferocious carp and grinded up my stats. I was finally ready to take care of some of those nasty bandits everyone around here is so afraid of.

    The only problem was, when I showed up to their camp, they welcomed me. The talked about the weather and immediately began to yield and cry when I attacked them. I chopped through the ranks of frail bandits, I made my wait to the wirey chieftain who was already running by the time I made it to him. I managed to strike him down with a single thrown large copper dagger. I didn't feel very heroic.

    I decided that maybe these were just some weak bandits so I informed the town's folk and moved on to those pesky criminals. These criminal turned out to be a small family who as far as I could see weren't doing any thing wrong. For the same.kf heroism, I struck them down. This caused the whole town to run and hide.

    I finally decided to go and take out one of those dark fortresses, there would surely be stocked full of blood thirsty warriors willing to cross blades with me until they meet their bitter death.

    Wrong again, they were also a bunch of crying babies.

    I can't wait for the villain update. Until then, I'll be killing night creatures and forgotten beasts to avoid feeling so guilty haha.

    submitted by /u/ghostwilliz
    [link] [comments]

    Meph stops by to chat with us in Episode 16 of the Dwarf Fortress Roundtable Podcast

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 09:24 PM PDT

    [44.12] Horror Pack - Infected Addon Update

    Posted: 07 Oct 2019 02:59 AM PDT

    Say, Elf, where'd you find these? [spoilers]

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 07:12 PM PDT

    Exploring a Mountain Hall I found a room with a dozen Barons/Baronesses in it. In fact a majority of the site seems to be Barons.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 04:26 PM PDT

    Well I should hope so.

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 05:16 PM PDT

    Streaming for the next 5 - 7 hours, Vod in comments when offline.

    Posted: 07 Oct 2019 11:02 AM PDT

    Brand new player looking for some help

    Posted: 07 Oct 2019 01:10 AM PDT

    Hey brand new player here... I'm looking for someone to help me out to understand the game better and guide me while making a fortress I tend to be a kinetic learner so watching YouTube videos to learn has been absolutely hell I've managed to make small forts to far but have no idea about what to do past getting a small farm set up and a bedroom.

    submitted by /u/nannaannnaaa
    [link] [comments]

    [Story] Memory of my second goblin invasion

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 10:01 PM PDT

    Hah! I barely survived the first one.

    My only squad got totally slaughtered and the surviving goblins were killed by civilians, after managing some more murders in the farms. My expedition leader died in the incident, and I lost my weaponsmith to madness, because he got a mood in the worse time.

    Gruesome days, but I was getting all back to normal, arming two more squads and even making some improvements. Selling expensive crafts, importing needed things, setting up a hospital, digging pretty rooms for the administrators, and engraving walls with a very skilled engraver.

    "Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of Jeha Brunchstills the human and Dreampaints the giant dingo, by 'Engraver' Noramlokum. Dreampaints is striking down Jeha Brunchstills. The artwork relates to the killing of the human Jeha Brunchstills by the giant dingo Dreampaints in The Grooved Hills in 144."

    He became a master making this image over and over in my walls. It was his favorite, and he made beautiful renditions of it. I wondered why he was obsessed with that moment. Maybe it was because we were settling a region where our faction had little recorded history, so the program had little events in the Grooved Hill to pick up for engravings. But I am a sentimental player, so I thought another explanation.

    He knew, he left a message for his fellow dwarves.

    I checked the human in legends: Jeha was a beast huntress with a short career, she managed to escape from another giant dingo, and got killed by Dreampaints in that fatal year of 144. Her kingdom is almost gone now, a single city at war with several elven factions.

    When I got to the game the weaponsmith was dehydrated and still screaming about spider silk for his absurd project.

    Dwarf Fortress has this ability to tell me "Ok, enough stories for tonight laddie". Last night I closed the game with the announcement of the second goblin invasion in my short dwarven carreer. Time to sleep, indeed. I left the thing for another night.

    Today I opened the game and put music on youtube: rap or trap for doing badass violent stuff in videogames.

    Before the battle, something awesome happened. A hillock was founded near my fortress, my first one. The second site fouded in this region, so far from the Moutainhome. The hopeful green letters of this achievement and the looming forces of darkness were on the same screen.

    I had a reason to fight. Time to do business.

    I burrowed the civilians and closed my drawbridges. I had no finished traps. I stationed my two new and badly armed squads in the entrance, ready to lower the bridges, let some goblins in, trap them, and kill them little by little.

    But it was total chaos. The fight broke out on and below the highest drawbridge. The troops seemed to fall down when the goblins managed to shoot them from above, and in battle they were falling like flies. I wasn't reading the combat reports, it was too much and I just wanted to see the end of this.

    I was only counting the living in the military screen and invaders in the units screen. Hoping to turn over this macabre scoreboard.

    Soon my five remaining soldiers were the ones resting in the beds of a poorly equipped hospital.

    Not even half an hour and I was already against the ropes. I opened the tavern bridge. Hoping that the visiting warriors there could manage to kill some invaders. Some arrows came from the tavern, but the goblins killed all the unlucky mercenaries. ¡Tough sons of Soshos!

    I had no fighting dwarf, elf or man remaining. I closed the tavern bridge, recruited ten civilians, and sent them to kill the trapped enemy troops: a troll and some goblins. All the poor bastards got killed.

    Ustir's cold piss. ¿Was this the limit of my skill? ¿Was it time to open a new game somewhere else?

    F\king no.*

    I cut the rap. Time for real music, Argentine rock worthy of this highland spirit. (Listening to the song is mandatory to continue reading).

    By the left, quick march! Crua chan!

    Fellow dwarves of The Banner of Bowels! The goblins think we cannot fight anymore. Let's wise'em up, lads!

    There are no civilians in our fortress!

    We will continue the fight in any way we can. If we do not have weapons and troops, the artisans will fight with fists and teeth. Let's be free, the rest doesn't matter at all. Death is better than being slaves of the green bastards. We swear to not let the weapons down until we see our people free, or die fighting like worthy sons of Armok.

    I recruited 30 and sent them to battle. Miners, stoneworkers, bonecrafters, mechanics, cooks, the doctor, marched down the bloody halls. The goblins and the mighty troll died after more dwarven deaths.

    The walls of the tavern were soaked with blood of many sentient creatures, the entrances to the fort were crammed with mangled bodies. I lowered the drawbridge of the tavern. The dwarves ran uphill to the last goblins. Soaked in blood, sweat and tears. Screaming for freedom, fury and fear.

    Fe fi fo fum! I smell the blood of a goblin man!

    Fe fi fo fum! Come on slaver, here we come!

    They punched and clawed, like beasts more savage than their enemies, and the marksgoblins got killed.

    We chase them over the hills

    We were frothening at the mouth

    The argentine rock was swelling.

    You did it you beautiful bearded crazy desperate bastards! We survived the second invasion!

    And then it hit me.

    Feeling bad and feeling poor.

    There we died and there we stayed.

    I understood the engraver's message.

    Juno barely escaped from her fight with the giant dingo, but she carried on. The dingos were the enemies of her kingdom. She did not surrender; when she faced her foe again, she went to the carnage, and died defending his fellow humans from the beasts. This fight is not about winning, or surviving. It is about facing the enemy and moving forward every time. For sentient beings, dignity is more than life. These engravings were no images of death, they were images of freedom till the last breath.

    We will rebuild this fortress, mightier than ever. And no matter how many times the forces of evil attack us, we will fight, no matter how unequal the battle, how desperate our victory, how gruesome our defeat.

    For the Banner of Bowels still waves!

    For freedom! For glory! For Juno!

    I tear up a little. Man, this game is epic.

    submitted by /u/CapitanKomamura
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarven Poetry: The Road

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 06:00 PM PDT

    Dwarven Poetry: The Road

    https://i.redd.it/0a1q52wrp0r31.jpg

    The cart is full, the horses fed,

    The open valley lies ahead,

    Fear not the road that we shall tread,

    One last glance back at the homestead!

    The sun drops low, the shadows grow with dread,

    The dark plays tricks, monsters or sticks misled,

    The will-o-the-wisp and night troll stop dead,

    If companions stay near your camping bed,

    Alone you fear bloodshed,

    The group all fear shall shed,

    Fear not the road we tread,

    Let travels be dispread.

    submitted by /u/PoeticUrist
    [link] [comments]

    Hyper-Religious Dwarves

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 08:02 PM PDT

    TL;DR: Organized religion is ruining my fortress, what do?

    So I've run into a problem with pretty much every fortress I've run on DF2014 and up: dwarves who obsessively worship/pray/meditate.

    I try to keep my fortresses running smoothly and cater to their demands. Plenty of food, drink, goblets, decent beds (I say the ones with splinters "menace with spikes of wood"), a dining hall, rain protection, and pretty much everything they need to be happy.

    But then some of them start whining about "not being able to pray" and tantrums start. So, I designate a large, open area as a non-denominational temple with a few boxes of instruments so they can keep themselves entertained and satisfy their religious needs.

    That's when my productivity takes a massive hit.

    "Hey Urist McBroker, come trade with these humans."

    "Nope. Meditating about trade." Wait what?

    Three days later, "Come on, trade with them."

    "Nope. Praying to Dorf Jesus."

    Few days later, "Why aren't you at the depot?"

    "Worshiping a demon I heard about yesterday."

    A week later, "Come on, they won't be here for long. I think one of them is practicing archery on your pet chicken."

    "Meditating about thick woolen socks."

    "HEY THEY'RE GOING TO LEAVE SOON."

    "Is that you, Goldenpost the Army of Inks? No? Then leave me alone. Praying here."

    "ARE YOU DEAF?"

    "Go away, I'm eating."

    "Will you trade with them after you eat?"

    "No, then I have to meditate on plump helmets."

    "FINE I'LL HAVE THE BUTCHER TRADE WITH THEM!"

    "He's meditating on mountains."

    "GOOD JOB THEY JUST LEFT."

    "Praise the Flying Pig Cheese Monster."

    Big order of tunics for the Count's Legend of Zelda cosplay event. Where's my clothier? Spending three straight months in the temple.

    Goblins are playing Pin-The-Tail-On-The-Woodcutter and half of my military is busy praying to a statue of a weregoat.

    Big harvest of gems and my gem setter is meditating on treasure for weeks on end.

    And it seems that some dwarves are predisposed to long bouts of uninterruptible temple time. If I task some, they quickly finish up what they're doing and go work. Others will ignore orders and only pause their worship to eat, drink, or sleep, then go straight back to praying.

    I'm on the verge of making a list of my dwarves that spend too much time at the temple and mass-exiling them to a nearby hillock that gets raided practically once a season.

    So, I can shut down the temple, wait until everyone finishes their prayer time (which for some, could take months), and deal with the angst from the religious crowd. Or, I can exile (or atom smash) the religious nuts who do nothing but pray. Or I can just make everyone who does unreasonably long soul-searching an eternal hauling slave and hope that things don't pile up too much. I could also take a completely different direction, open a functional tavern, and hope that the religious nuts drink themselves to death.

    What should I do?

    submitted by /u/WintersTempest
    [link] [comments]

    Should i buy this game

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 05:12 PM PDT

    I like games like rimworld and colony management games and it looks like fun but I just wanted some opinions about it

    submitted by /u/Alpinemachine
    [link] [comments]

    Ocean Fort

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 04:35 PM PDT

    So, after watching Kruggsmash's Short Fort focused on a water fort, I decided to do something similar, though more focused in underground activities with various above ocean and in ocean projects. i also increased the size of my map to include a larger portion of the ocean (for more fun, of course).

    The first year was methodically planed and prepped for the winter freeze. My main focus for the first year was to create supports for a small sectioned bridge, along with a simple walled off stair well entrance that lead to the ocean floor, so that my dwarfs could begin larger projects and prepping for next winter's freeze.

    I was successful in this endeavor, and brought my dwarfs off the ice and kept them busy with other things and waited until the ice thawed.

    2 hours later, my computer is still trying to process most of the ocean instantly thawing (I think it just gave up)...

    submitted by /u/Emerald_Pancakes
    [link] [comments]

    Losing Is Fun - Troglodytes

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 03:06 PM PDT

    What the hell is wrong with my Fortress/Dwarves... xD

    Posted: 06 Oct 2019 01:04 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment