• Breaking News

    Thursday, July 2, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress The Giant Waits.

    Dwarf Fortress The Giant Waits.


    The Giant Waits.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:00 AM PDT

    This was left over after dealing with a siege by drowning. Now I want to capture her ali- ...undead and put her on display in a tavern I'll name after her: Shurratlinem Babinkolad, "Stumpface the Friendly Ghoul."

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:39 AM PDT

    I made a tileset: GrislFort

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    I tried only melee squads and no traps VS demon wave.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:46 AM PDT

    I tried only melee squads and no traps VS demon wave.

    I wanted to win against an initial demon wave using only melee dwarves in fair combat. After 28 years of preparation, I decided to try it.
    My composition was 48 intelligent undead (mostly legendary warriors, about a dozen dwarves with legendary + 100 weapon skills, plus high Archery level for better icicle shooting). Adamantine weapons, mostly battle axes. Adamantine breastplates + 3 bronze mail shirts and adamantine helms. Steel/bronze everything else (spend all of my metal) + hoods and cloaks.

    Do you think this is enough?

    Crappy DF footage of the action

    Result: I only killed 7 demons

    One of the demon kills.

    I have a backup save right before opening the underworld. I will try it again, probably with a necromancer to raise dwarves again or to make demons fight each other, but that is kinda cheesy. And I am gonna remove the middle wall. Any other suggestions?

    submitted by /u/Vegust
    [link] [comments]

    BF - Turtling

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    Seems fair enough

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:20 AM PDT

    I think I've figured out the stress spiral - thoughts?

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 01:08 AM PDT

    You know, while thinking about the stress/memory/emotions system, I stumbled across https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Memories and noticed that long term memories are only overwritten by more intense short term memories; equal strength memories cannot overwrite each other.

    This means that if all 8 long term memory slots on a dwarf get filled with negative +1 divider memories, then that dwarf is basically doomed; nothing can possibly fix their long term memories. An infinite stream of positive -1 divider memories won't change their very strong and endless source of stress. That can be a problem if a fresh migrant to your fortress gets rained on, sees goblin corpses, gets attacked, etc. on their way in, and all 8 slots get filled with +1 divider memories before you can even do anything.

    That means the current system essentially turns into a race to fill fresh migrants and children with -1 divider memories before they get filled with +1 divider memories, because those memories can never be flushed out. This is made a little better however by the fact that if a dwarf has multiple short term memories of the same category, only one can become a long term memory. (i.e. seeing 8 goblins die and getting 8 horrified +1 thoughts in a single year will result in only one +1 horrified long term memory. You'd need to see 8 goblins die and get 8 horrified +1 thoughts over 8 years to possibly get 8 horrified +1 long term memories.)

    Still, overall the system seems imbalanced. If you manage to fill a migrant with eight -1 happy long term memories, there's not much that can get to them because nothing can undermine their source of happiness; if a migrant gets five +1 stressful long term memories and three -1 happy ones they'll constantly trend downwards and you'll need a very specially designed fort to keep them up; and if a migrant gets eight +1 stressful long term memories they're a lost cause.

    This also explains why unfulfilled needs don't have the impact people think they do, and therefore why an experimental fort (http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174931.msg8049126#msg8049126) that never satisfied any of its dwarves' needs didn't have problems with stress: no 'unmet need' negative thought can be of intensity +1 and fill up their long term memory forever.

    The fix to all this is probably quite simple: give equal strength memories a small chance to overwrite each other. That way, a dwarf with eight +1 long term memories can still be saved, and a dwarf with eight -1 long term memories can still succumb to stress if your fortress falls apart and turns into a hellhole. What that percentage chance should be is unclear to me - maybe 20 percent? - but it should probably be benchmarked around completely changing a dwarf (from eight +1s to eight -1s or vice versa) over a few years of unrelenting pleasure/torture.

    As for the implications on what you can do right now… it seems like you need to prevent your migrants and children from seeing corpses (or any of the other +1 emotion triggers - see https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Emotion & https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stress) before you can fill up their long term memories with -1 emotions. That means no walking through the rain or battlefields for migrants (get them underground as soon as possible), and that your corpse haulers should only be long term citizens whose long term memories you've inspected to make sure are filled with -1 emotions.

    Anyways, what do you think? Do you think this is right, or is something else responsible for the stress spiral that claims so many dwarves no matter what you do?

    Afterthought edit: Oh hey, maybe this is why dwarves were so hard to stress out in earlier versions of the game, when euphoria from drinking alcohol was a strong happy thought, maybe even with a -1 divisor. They'd fill up on -1 euphoria memories from drinking in their long term memory and then become impervious to stress. That would explain why euphoria no longer shows up on the list of emotions that can affect stress, at https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Emotion - to fix things Toady just removed euphoria's effects.

    submitted by /u/PolymorphicWetware
    [link] [comments]

    I have lost this battle with a forgotten beast. All 200 dwarves and all livestock dead, but! My longest run ever! I even got to the point of conquering other civilizations! I'm really pleased with myself.

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 08:29 PM PDT

    Hey! Look here!

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 06:54 AM PDT

    If you have already signed up, please help make this visible. It sucks to miss out.

    Sign ups for the fifth annual Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament is opened.

    Document hub here.

    What is this? The greatest thing ever! Check the links, it will be worth your time.

    submitted by /u/Morpheus_Darkwater
    [link] [comments]

    Steam Update 2 July 2020: "Guilty lizards and the DF Talk Podcast!"

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:42 AM PDT

    Birds and Trinkets (Steam Edition)

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 09:14 AM PDT

    Just made my first statue ever

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 09:07 AM PDT

    It was a slug made out of salt

    ...

    yeah that mason is getting his own luxuxry room

    submitted by /u/Wolfkralle4
    [link] [comments]

    I've completed the tutorial series of everything that you'll probably need to know for your first year in your fortress. Here's a new one for the advanced series. How to copy and load saved games and back-up saves, and how to recreate an identical world and replay your embark :)

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 07:31 AM PDT

    Dwarf Fortress on Steam

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:45 AM PDT

    I don't know where to post my excitement at all the new content previews for the Steam release. It's small, but just today they revealed some of the new sprites for the birds within the game and they look gorgeous. I love the Bay12 version and have loved it for a long time, but I'm so happy that this game is going to broaden it's fanbase and hopefully get new people into it. Does anyone share this opinion? I'm curious what other fans of the game think of it coming to Steam.

    submitted by /u/breezusofnazareth
    [link] [comments]

    Have to love fire breathing forgotten beasts.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:31 AM PDT

    Tutorial Fortress Part 7 - Flooding

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:47 AM PDT

    Smashed and Bashed Toes

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:48 AM PDT

    Okay, don't quite know if this is the right place to post this, I'd probably post it in fort Friday, but that doesn't seemed to be pinned up any more for whatever reason. So I don't know if anyone else has been plagued by the annoying bugginess of raids corrupting equipment. It was happening for me again in the fort I'm playing on. I was poking around on different DF forums to find a solution and I think I did.

    So once they return from their raid you assign them a uniform with nothing and then once they've taken all their armor off (I wait a little longer just in case) you reassign them their outfit. Very tedious for anyone who likes to micro manage their dwarves weapons and what not, but I tend to just let them use the weapon of their choice anyway. Also, I set them to not carry any food or drinks, but you could probably set them to carry food or drinks again once they get rid of their back back and water skin, like with the armor (I like them not having food/drink anyway because they leave during training more, and end up bumping into family and friends, I guess it might be more trouble for sieges, but not much gets past the trap hall anyway).

    I've only done 3 raids at this point, and I don't know how long it will work for. It may still be corrupting the items, leading up to an inevitable save crash, but at least they'll wear their damn armor in the meantime. Anyway, figured I'd share my maybe solution. Does any one else do this? does this happen to other people? Raiding is so fun, I can't imagine the community has resigned to not doing it. What are your work arounds? And then additionally, I guess, does it even matter what armor my raiding party has? My understanding is that the equipment worn by armies doesn't actually factor into combat effectiveness (yet), is that true? if so, does it work the same way for raiding parties? Could I just be sending them out buck ass naked with nothing but a sword and have them be as likely to emerge victorious as with steal armor and weapons?

    Thanks for any advice/ input y'all have, may your fortresses be forever bountiful.

    submitted by /u/kamihanta
    [link] [comments]

    Understanding Stories And Getting Feedback From The Game

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:06 AM PDT

    I'm an amateur Dwarf Fortress player that picks up the game once a year and then stops. It only occured to me recently that I stop not because I can't understand or learn the game mechanics but rather I don't understand what's going on sometimes due to lack of feedback.

    How do you keep track of your dwarves' hunger, mental state, bleeding? I sometimes can't tell when dwarves have social fights and keeping track of dwarves personalities and backstories to enjoy the story each run tells feels daunting.

    I'm not sure how to word this all properly but essentially:

    How do you interpret things that happen in the game since I find that there is a lack of feedback to react to.

    submitted by /u/T_Jayz
    [link] [comments]

    The "chaste" lover ... embracing a donkey. I have so many questions and the save got corrupted.

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 12:30 AM PDT

    The Bay 12 Games Report, July 1st, 2020

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 07:05 PM PDT

    Splinter, king of The Noiseless Tours

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 11:02 PM PDT

    I am making this to document the obsession our king has with splints. As the dwarves work tirelessly making him the constant stream of splints that he mandates, we can't even use them because he has banned the export of splints and our fortress only contains 18 dwarves. He is also trying to get us to buy all of the splints brought by the traders, and even though it hasn't even been a year since the start of this beautiful fortress the dwarf has the audacity to ask for a royal bedroom with splints on pedestals, for him to admire I suppose. I cannot believe we will have to put up with his splint fetish for the next 50 or so years!

    submitted by /u/yodeling-yodas
    [link] [comments]

    The Elves are at it again

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 03:28 PM PDT

    I got a necromancer in the first migrant wave of my new fort

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 08:18 AM PDT

    This is going to be interesting

    submitted by /u/CaptainButters69
    [link] [comments]

    Intresting....

    Posted: 01 Jul 2020 03:23 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment