• Breaking News

    Friday, July 3, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:07 PM PDT

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Urist McCraftyDwarf has Created "Ducim Zon", A Polyethylene Workdwarf Helmet. He Claims it as a family hierloom. This is a Polyethylene Workdwarf Helmet. All craftsdwaftship is of the Highest Quality. On the item is an image of Urist McCraftyDwarf in papyrus.

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 01:18 PM PDT

    [Kruggsmash] Scorchfountain Ep.14: Wonder Gloaming

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 03:04 AM PDT

    Future of the Fortress 2 July 2020: " We still want poorly run forts to have trouble, but forts that are run well should have more isolated/fixable problems, and those should be explained well and feel satisfying."

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 02:59 PM PDT

    Fixing the Breach

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 11:15 AM PDT

    Chantedfins: Episode 4 - Blood Tithe

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 09:29 AM PDT

    This looks right when you just woke up & still drinking coffee

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 04:57 PM PDT

    How to make the game Auto-run

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    Hello Everyone,

    I have an art project in mind but I'm having trouble executing it. I'd like to mount a good-sized TV to my wall with it streaming a game of dwarf fortress 24/7. Preferably, I'd like to follow Random NPC's and swap every few minutes or stay on them if they're doing something interesting — Kinda like a digital ant farm ... however, I haven't figured out the way to get the game to run on its own yet and still produce "gameplay"

    Obviously the game can do it if it can manage all of the other factions / NPCs in the game. Does anyone have any suggestions?

    submitted by /u/33rdbandit
    [link] [comments]

    Fantastic Volcano Map I Want to Share

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 11:58 PM PDT

    Fantastic Volcano Map I Want to Share

    Hello to all humans, dwarves, skulking filth, and tree-hugging hippies!

    I've created a new world (normal world creation, didn't do any fiddling with any settings beyond the "basic" ones like world size, history, etc.) and embarked on a volcano that I thought would be a neat challenge and to have fun with magma earlier in the game with lower risk. I expected rocky, inhospitable terrain but found lush, good farmland surrounding and topping the mountain the volcano is in, with fruit trees and harvestable plants galore. It's a veritable paradise island, though little fresh surface water and, if there is an aquifer, I haven't hit it. It's hard in ways I didn't expect, but drinks won't be problem unless someone gets injured and needs water brought to them; there's PLENTY of ways to get brewed beverages.

    I looked up some problems people had with volcanoes and I simply don't have them. The terrain in the top few layers of the volcano is silt and fantastic farmland. I took off most of the top of the volcano, exposing everything to sunlight, then covered it all to use as my "above ground" farmland and went down one layer for my "true underground" plots. The sides and base of the mountain are COVERED in plants you can pick and fruit trees are just showering their fruit for you to pick up. When I started the map, I literally chopped down every tree because they irritate me, but within a year almost all of the saplings sprang up and I gave up. Now I have gathering zones set up and my dwarves just have extra alcohol variety and more food lol.

    At the base of the mountain to the northeast is a beach with sand for days for any glass making endeavors, though I think you'll be able to have the ocean if you have the default 4x4 map size. I normally drop down to 3x3 because I rarely expand "wide" I normally expand tall. 4x4 maps end with me leaving a huge chunk of the map untouched lol. Oh, and on the "world map," the volcano is literally just an island in the middle of the ocean, "The Island of Naming" it is called lol.

    That little island to the Southwest: The Isle of Naming

    Now the negatives, for some players:

    - I had the shortest history settings. I wondered what might be different, to see how much history can be made and to play as many forts as I can over the next few months (IRL) to see what transpires across the world when I'm taking care of a few forts. Shorter history, fewer events, artifacts, evil, necromancers, etc. I'm going for at least one hundred years, though I don't know if I'll make it of course, who knows what idea might pop into my head before I finish.

    - There is a war between the dwarves and a human civilization you start the game in. You get all the fun associated with that whether you like it or not if you embark on the mainland, but if you pick the volcano area, you don't have any FUN with the human war that's going on :( This might be a positive for some though, no worries about raiding/sieges at all but you'll get your annual dwarven caravan, and of course the odd beastie poppin' in to say hello from time to time (Minotaurs really seem to like the island for me lol). It could still be jolly good fun if you want some of your forts to have a little more peace at the beginning.

    - It's not a large world, I think I picked "pocket" world, or small. Really don't remember, but it's tiny lol, more experienced players probably know just looking at the pic. Smaller world means less activity going on in the world, so it is a little bit less interesting, but it hasn't hampered my enjoyment in the world yet.

    It's not for everybody, but I absolutely love "The Island of Naming," embarking around the volcano/paradise island. If this sounds fun to anyone, and anyone wants me to share the world with them, I'd be happy to do so! I have the files I think you'll need (world history, world map, world sites and pop, and world gen param) but just walk me through it if you need something else, I'm still kind of new to all of this and have never shared a world before.

    Oh and in case it affects anything, I don't use any mods except for a graphics mod (Phoebus 16x if it matters), and I used LNP to install the game, and It's been within the past month, so I think it's the most recent version of LNP/DF, but I honestly can't ever be sure. The folder says 0.47.04, if that's the version number.

    Strike the earth!

    submitted by /u/hwoodb1
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for help/feedback

    Posted: 03 Jul 2020 04:00 AM PDT

    I have been working on an application for parsing and storing Dwarf Fortress Legends files. I have been working on this for a few months now and the first public release is in sight. But now I'm looking for some people (about 5) to test out the application and get feedback on it. I'm looking for people with some of the following criteria:

    • (required) Like looking at legends or its data (similar to Legends Viewer or LegendsBrowser)
    • (required) Use Linux or Windows (MacOS is also allowed but more technical knowledge required for now).
    • (required) A little bit of technical knowledge (CMD/terminal)
    • (required) Have some time in the following month to test it out.
    • (optional) Know how to create a basic webpage (HTML, CSS, JS) or willing to learn. (very minimal/almost no prior knowledge required)
    • (optional) Programmers how know a bit (more) about creating websites (using whatever framework/language they want: React, Angular, Vue, ... or even without a framework)
    • (optional) People that like graphs, plots and other data visualization.

    If you meet these criteria and want to help out, send me a pm on Discord: Ralpha#8433 (will remove this post or post a comment when I have enough people)

    submitted by /u/Ralpha9
    [link] [comments]

    DevLog 2 July 2020: "Hopefully the site has stabilized after the long migration!"

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 03:06 PM PDT

    Necromancer Mayor

    Posted: 02 Jul 2020 05:28 PM PDT

    I recently started playing the game and I have a necromancer as a mayor. What can I do with that to minimize fun?

    submitted by /u/stalerotii
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment