• Breaking News

    Friday, November 15, 2019

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 04:06 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 04:06 PM PST

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Some fancy dorms

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 04:13 AM PST

    BF - Pantheon part 1

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 06:31 AM PST

    UCSC is streaming Toady right now

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 10:12 AM PST

    What are your toughts on this barrack desing ? // light green: beds // light blue : doors // dark purple : chests // dark blue : weapon racks // dark yellow : armor stands // magenta/fuxia : archery targets // white : designated training area dummys // grayish orange,red,purple,green : training area

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 11:16 AM PST

    My favorite art ever!

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 12:08 AM PST

    Now I know why those human caravans never show up.

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 08:34 AM PST

    That seems a bit contradictory...

    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 03:28 PM PST

    FuXXing elves....

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 12:07 PM PST

    So i wanted To unretire a fortress but couldt for some reason... i was pretty pissed but you know what was worse? I later checked it from the world info screen and... THE ELVEN FORTRESS OF STRONGWANDERS 2000~inhabitants

    ... ... ...

    thisisfine.jpg

    Nedless to say, I was felling pretty FUN...

    submitted by /u/Unos-barbapapos
    [link] [comments]

    A adamantium gear equiped warhammer dwarf i made whit a pixel art app in school.

    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 03:46 PM PST

    Problem with farms

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 10:39 AM PST

    Hello! how are you guys? So, I've started playing dwarf fortress last year, although just this year I've really dedicated some time to it. Well, I am on my fifth fortress now and I'm facing the same problem I've faced in all the other fortress: I am running out of seeds. I know that there are some problems related to seeds in barrels or bins, or in deposits too far from the farms. I have forbidden seeds on all the deposits except the one on the farm area. Besides that, I set this deposit to 0 barrels and 0 bins. Also, on the "kitchen" screen I've set that seeds cannot be cooked. Despite all that, I'm running out of seeds. Worst, without plump helmets I will soon run out of booze, which can cause some interesting fun on my fortress. I was planning on going out and harvesting some plants to buy some time but a necromancer decided it was a good time to visit my fortress, so surface is not really a thing right now. Does anyone knows what is happening and how can I solve that?

    Note: English is not my first language, so sorry for any mistakes. And thanks :)

    submitted by /u/Alakny
    [link] [comments]

    I can't believe I'm actually doing okay

    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 09:16 PM PST

    This is my second attempt to get into dwarf fortress and I'm actually getting somewhere! It seemed like an insurmountable challenge but I'm actually pulling it off! I've survived a year, and only lost one dwarf to a strange mood (didn't know what that was at the time). I made up for that by properly facilitating another mood (done by the wife of the dwarf who was lost, ironically).

    However, I have one question that wiki searching can't seem to help me with. My fortress is underground (naturally) so I built a 3-wide entrance ramp for traders. Unfortunately, I broke it when trying to construct other things, and I failed to properly repair it. The easiest solution would be to fill the tiles back up and re-dig them. Is there a way I can do that?

    submitted by /u/SlashyMcStabbington
    [link] [comments]

    Well, I didn't want to go to the surface anyway

    Posted: 15 Nov 2019 11:31 AM PST

    "Rational" fortress design

    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 01:02 PM PST

    Disclaimer: As realism in a world simulator dealing with dwarves, dragons and mythical, nigh immortal beasts is questionable, I opted to use the word rational. As rationality with anything concerning dwarves is questionable, I put the word in quotation marks.

    It seems that almost everyone is building fortresses in one or just a few layers or around a central pillar functioning as a highway between floors, much like in human buildings. This makes sense from the players perspective, but does it from a dwarven perspective?

    Considering that dwarves are mainly a subterran culture, their mindset should also differ greatly from ours. Also, the game mechanics already support many multi-layer aspects, for example ore veins that can continue up or down between layers (I think?). Fluid dynamics allow water to move up or down realistically. Noise is carried up and down as well as laterally.

    Has anyone considered creating an unorthodox fortress, building along veins and following other natural shapes (surface? Biomes? Soft vs. hard rock - easy digging vs. good for engraving?), expanding one-layer 'floors' up and down (in the form of storage rooms, bedtrooms, offices ect.) in addition to sticking to one layer per floor? Creating complex mazes, that connect chaotically where-ever convenient / necessary? Tunnels, that travel up and down as necessitated by existing designs? Long winding tunnels leading to different parts of the fortress instead of building everything next to each others to minimize walking distance? Creating family, migrant wave or tribe sized self-sustaining units loosely connected to each other?

    I'm not sure how a dwarven culture would affect these designs. They are a very organized bunch, and often depicted preferring straight, grandiose and geometrical shapes. But when you are carving something out, it doesn't make a difference if the rooms you are carving fit in the smallest area possible, or if they are hexagonal instead of square - again we come to odds with the game mechanics.

    What about individual projects? Secret tunnels to the outside world? Hidden doors leading to some distant animal trap straight from a trappers inconveniently located bedroom? So many security breaches, but hey - to a seasoned player the outside threats can feel all too easy to solve! As a side note, it would be fantastic if the game mechanics would be altered so that sometimes dwarves would start this kind of secret projects out of their own initiative, without the players knowledge, and would be revealed only if reported to an authority within the fortress. "How the HELL did that forgotten beast appear in the middle of the tavern?!"

    submitted by /u/Ernomouse
    [link] [comments]

    In memory of blah blah, slain by the blah blah, friend of WHAT!?

    Posted: 14 Nov 2019 11:35 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment