• Breaking News

    Saturday, January 29, 2022

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 04:09 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 04:08 PM PST

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I have never seen anything like this before! A giant just attacked my fortress carrying 24 Artifacts, 15 of em legendary weapons (including 5 out of steel).

    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 04:47 PM PST

    Goddamn zombies, for anyone tuned in last night, the zombies have returned with a vengeance, 150 of them, with 2 necromancers to boot.

    Posted: 29 Jan 2022 12:47 AM PST

    First time successfully playing dwarf fortress. I already hate elves.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 11:57 AM PST

    Now, some of this may be my fault since I'm still learning the game, but still. (Edit, as I was writing this I realized it was my fault, tried to sell them wooden items)

    I have a small fortress in a peaceful swamp region with about 13 dwarves working in it. I've spent the entire first year alone since I picked a small civilization and chose an area removed from most other groups. Couldnt find iron for the life of me, so I just decided to produce a bunch of trade goods to sell for iron once a caravan showed up. Eventually, in the 3rd year one showed up, a bunch of elves. I was disappointed that they weren't selling anything metal, but I needed new socks for my dwarves so deicded to try and trade with them. offered them a shit ton of stuff, like 1400 value for some socks and other small stuff. They wouldn't buy from me, and then insulted me. It was at that moment, I snapped and had my dwarves murder every last one of the knife-eared pricks. Got my fucking socks. Fucking elves... 'Ate elves...

    Edit: They were the first thing I killed in the game ever. I paused it and angrily looked up the military guide so I could learn how to end the bastard twinks.

    submitted by /u/Ready-Bite8673
    [link] [comments]

    What od you get when you Embark at Woodland Forested Temperate place near a mountain with a river? That's right! You get a frozen river with no trees and a whole civilization of Kobolds with Spiders and Snakes under your Wagon! Still learning the game, smelting iron for barrels. Losing is fun!

    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 05:35 PM PST

    The deadliest of displays. Everyone would be horrified if their monitor took humanoid form.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 01:39 PM PST

    This is what happens when Mining Demonstrations are your fort's preferred form of entertainment.

    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 05:48 PM PST

    After bouncing off several times, I've finally played a fortress long enough for it to be annihilated! Yay!

    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 06:03 AM PST

    Over the years I've tried to get into DF probably three or four times? But always bounced off pretty early into the game, despite trying to follow tutorials from the wiki, PeredexisErrant, Nookrium, Quill18 etc. I'd always just stop playing before the fort got anywhere interesting.

    In the time since I last tried, I got into Caves of Qud, which gave me some experience in ascii-style grid-based games, and then when Quill started his recent Seven Pillars fort, it convinced me to give it another go.

    This time, my fortress got a lot further - I survived for over 2 years, created three artifacts, several temples, a couple of guildhalls, etc.

    During my liaison with the Mountainhomes in the first year, I misunderstood how the request system worked, so my year 2 caravan came with 25 iron bolts and the rest of their stock was entirely meat, with no other resources, which was my first problem. Then about 2 months into the year 252 I realised I hadn't done anything with my military, so I quickly assigned a couple of dwarves to a squad and started making equipment for them. I'd managed to scrape together a couple of crossbows and about 1.5 suits of leather armour between the two of them when I was invaded by a neighbouring goblin civ, who wiped out the fortress.

    Overall, I absolutely loved it and can't wait to start another fort let the Funtm continue!

    submitted by /u/QuantumBJump
    [link] [comments]

    After 20 in-game years of hardship and a bit of DFhacking, I present to you Icecaverns and the underwater stairwell!

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 05:24 PM PST

    A Keybind

    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 06:24 PM PST

    Today on fellow's stream I have shared a convenient Keybind I would like to share with you all.

    You only need to hold SHIFT and use mousewheel to change the z-level perspective.

    During the game, press ESC, go to Key Bind -> General. There you can find what changes your z-level, you can Add binding (on the right), hold SHIFT and move a wheel in your desired direction. No need to smash the keys for z change anymore.

    submitted by /u/Roxterat
    [link] [comments]

    Gemset has several missing animal people textures (the ones with the red plus).

    Posted: 28 Jan 2022 07:33 PM PST

    BF- Chapter 9: Evil

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 12:29 PM PST

    For the first time since I've started playing, I have been visited by a dragon.

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 02:03 PM PST

    How fucked am I? I have 20 skilled warriors vs 82 armed corpses, also sorry for bad quality pic

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 07:30 PM PST

    Always remember that fishing takes barrels that could be used for alcohol

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 07:47 AM PST

    After taking a break from managing the day to day aspects of my fortress to set up an Adamantine supply line I noticed that I kept getting the message

    (dwarf) cancels drink, well dry

    At this time I had set up both an aquafer powered well and a still + farm set up, I found it a bit odd that my dwarves were using the well, but I figured that it wouldn't be a big problem.

    Then the tantrums started, basically a lack of alcohol led to my dwarves drinking from the underground well, most of my dwarves were happy enough that they could survive on water, but then the well emptied due to not being able to handle the extra effort. My fortress had an extra water source up at the surface, but frequent raids from animal men had left the above ground riddled with (animal man) corpses. By the time I noticed the issue most of my dwarves had started getting stressed from constant exposure to corpses.

    So I tried to discover the reason why my fortress had ran out of alcohol, I narrowed it down to a lack of barrels, I had built a lot of them and I figured that nothing in my fortress would spend them fast enough to outpace the alcohol production, then I realized my mistake.

    On a small scale fishing is a good food source and an easy way to remove idle dwarves, but I had foolishly permitted all the dwarves in my fortress to go fishing during their spare time. and fishing needs barrels, and by the time I discovered my problem all the barrels my fortress ever produced were filled with fish.

    I managed to restart barrel production and limit fishing, and then my carpenter's workshop was toppled by an angry dwarf, after I had finished rebuilding that my plump helmet farm was toppled, limiting my ability to produce alcohol even further.

    submitted by /u/Animus_Infernus
    [link] [comments]

    Just recorded an arrangement of the menu theme on steel pans

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 11:47 AM PST

    Steam Community Update 27 January 2022: World Chronicle

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 09:26 AM PST

    Steellace Museum

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 05:52 PM PST

    Learning Dwarf Fortress with my board game designing community via Twitch has been a blast. Getting a bit stuck here or there and could definitely do with a few players in this group popping on to lend a hand, if poss. Also, this book, Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress has been a god send!

    Posted: 27 Jan 2022 08:42 AM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment