• Breaking News

    Monday, June 21, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 07:22 AM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    My adventure mode character, Lord Icar the Doomed, a necromancer who had his nose ripped off by a night creature

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 07:20 AM PDT

    I've done it again. I forgot to turn autosaves on and lost 8 hours of an awesome fort to a random crash.

    Posted: 20 Jun 2021 10:50 PM PDT

    A werebull attacked and I expelled the only dwarf who got bitten and the game just crashed. :(

    The blame is fully on myself for not turning autosaves on when downloading a fresh starter pack but it still sucks.

    It was probably one of the best forts I've had in a long time.

    F in the chat

    submitted by /u/ghostwilliz
    [link] [comments]

    My first successful Ballista use against a 7 headed hydra... well sort of..

    Posted: 20 Jun 2021 02:58 PM PDT

    The Bronze Embark ("borrowed" Embark idea and my first Fortress to make it to year 3)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 03:18 AM PDT

    Disclosure: I did play a few embarks in 2018ish but never really got "into" the game... until now.

    I wanted to start with Magma because I wanted an Steel industry and not f around with coal or wood burning. "VOLCANO!, duh" I thought to myself and got to world generation roulette. Got one with decent metals and flux. Long story short: My miner took a lava bath, the rest "got crabs" because I had yet to learn that only filtered lava is good lava.

    So the Vulcano start was scrapped.

    Next idea: just dig to the lava sea and start there. So far so good , but how do I get the caravans down there? Made a test run and found out that "digging 3 ramps, going down a layer and repeat" make a viable cart ramp and it is not so painful to set up with the record macro.

    Next challenge: how do i dig that ramp in a reasonable time? Looking for Embark ideas I came to an older forum post I think (can't remember which one) that had an interesting idea: Start with metalsmithing right away.

    So that's what I did. I removed all the tools and got bituminos coal, cassiterite ore and native copper (4 tetrahedrite to get at least one silver warhammer right away) and the following dwarves:

    1. Hammerdwarf (with teacher)
    2. Axedwarf(with student)
    3. "Wooddwarf" Carpenter, woodcutter, Furnance operator
    4. "Farmdwarf" Herbalist, Cook, Brewer, Butcher, Tanner
    5. "Stonedwarf" Mason,Stonecrafter, Architect
    6. "Weaponsdwarf" Weaponsmith, Armorer,
    7. "Metaldwarf" Blacksmithing, Metalcrafting, Glassmaking

    (In hindsight Glassmaking is not that important before a better glassmaker comes)

    First I got the basic workshops set up (Butcher/Tanner on the surface) 1 z level down: Smelter, Furnace, Forge, kitchen and still.

    Butchering the pack animals + starting chickens keeps everyone fed for some time. Foraged fruit keeps the still busy.

    Next: 2 sets of bronze armor, one Bronze axe, one silver warhammer and 5 copper/bronze picks. Every civilian gets to digging the ramp to the lava sea. The military boys train on the surface right away.

    (in hindsight I had waaay too much metal ore with me. had to move 10+ bins or metal/coal bars down to the proper storage)

    The deepest cave layer was later breached into and a good portion walled off for a farm area. Pasture remained on one of the top soil layers. Chicken army lays so many eggs I don't even need to butcher animals. Butcher/Tanner was moved a higher layer of the cave with fortifications as "windows" for the miasma to dissapate. Same with a big refuse/corpse room.

    That's basically the start. I am sure it can be made more efficient next time buit for now I am happy with this start. 110 Dwarfs at the moment and no Tantrums or other dramas "yet".

    There were some surprizes: my civ was apparently wiped out and my axe dwarf negotiated himself king at the time the first migrants came. Luckily the Hammerdwarf learned to be a teacher by then and could start training the next recruit.

    Some screenshots of the fort https://imgur.com/a/UWmW6KX

    submitted by /u/vaiperu
    [link] [comments]

    Riskiest Thing I've Tried So Far

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 01:40 AM PDT

    So that's an adult baby, interesting

    Posted: 20 Jun 2021 01:48 PM PDT

    What are your typical first priorities with a new fort?

    Posted: 21 Jun 2021 01:18 AM PDT

    As above, I guess my question is do you focus on carving out just what you need 1 level down or dig a staircase 10 levels deep and focus on the grand plan ASAP?

    submitted by /u/DavdakStalkingwolf
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment