• Breaking News

    Thursday, January 21, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress (Story) They're just not going to let him live that down...

    Dwarf Fortress (Story) They're just not going to let him live that down...


    (Story) They're just not going to let him live that down...

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 06:07 AM PST

    So, at the recommendation of a few fine people on this forum, I've started a game at the beginning of history. It's indeed very interesting, as nothing seems to have been written yet, the landscape is pretty much fresh off of the tree, and there's a noticeable dearth of vampires and werewolves. (So far. I'm not sure I trust these guys around temple statues.)

    I'm on maybe year eleven now. Years 3, 4, and 6 had us attacked by a couple of cyclopses and a minotaur, which my well trained military cut down, so it hasn't been uneventful. However, all of my great artists are focused on something completely different, which I wish I'd taken note of when it happened. Back in midsummer, year seven, we had this dorf nerd named Inod Hopepaddles. Still have him, technically. He apparently "collided with an obstacle" and "fell", according to myriad pieces of artwork to follow.

    We have engravings, sewn images, you name it, of this specific dwarf freeze-framed bumping into something on a hill and falling down. It was apparently a hell of a thing to see, as there have been maybe a couple of statues made of the minotaur getting cut down, but literally dozens of embellishments on Strange Mood crafts about exactly this moment.

    It's funny enough that the center of the fortress's artwork is of this dork bumping into something and falling, but recently a stone-carver got possessed by some otherworldly creative spirit. (I know, possessions don't grant experience, but the artifact is usually pretty nice.) He spent a few days running around the fortress grabbing all this stone and leather and cut gems, and I have to admit I was pretty excited to see what it was. The product is now in a grand guildhall, carrying most of the weight of it.

    Normally pretty much anything goes with a possessed dwarf, but what did this one want to memorialize? Which historical event was obsessed over by this spirit? This phantasm created a masterful artifact statue of none other than Inod, again, bumping into an obstacle and falling down. He's not just a laughing stock for it, he's apparently the dwarven Mona Lisa. It's literally the most valuable thing in my entire fort by a long shot, and it memorializes this guy being a complete cluster-Urist.

    So, a thousand years from now in this world, some dwarven archaeologist is going to be digging through ancient ruins and is going to come across all of this awe-inspiring cave-graffiti about the doubtless legendary Inod Hopepaddles, falling down, in what must be the most comical way possible. I'm half expecting my writers to jot down some six-act epic about Inod Hopepaddles colliding with an obstacle and falling down. Is it possible for a religion to be founded on a historical event? Because I feel like we're moving in that direction. I've got these depictions everywhere. The dorf children are probably singing nursery rhymes about it.

    submitted by /u/FireworkEater
    [link] [comments]

    Stealing in Adventure mode should be overhauled.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 09:51 AM PST

    I recently tried the old version of Dwarf Fortress adventure mode (like literally the first version) and noticed something. Every obtainable items (like bags) inside a house are marked with a dollar sign meaning obtaining it accounts to stealing. One other thing I noticed that guards will actually try to stop and even jill you for stealing. Pretty concepts compared to the new version where stealing only accounts to taking this in stores not in ordinary houses. Plus there seems to be no punishment to stealing besides you not being able to sleep at that particular place. Why was it removed in the first place? Did it make adventure mode hard or maybe there was some form of exploit? Will they be every re adding the old stealing again?

    Edit: To add to this, I also wanted to see the world to be a bit lively again. When wandering around the wilds you will only see an occasional bird or animal or too. But in the original version you would see a vast amounts of insects around in the wild such as butterflies, moths, bees, and flies. It also seems like that before miasma there would be flies around which would rot the food. Wish that would be reimplemented.

    submitted by /u/Grirtz
    [link] [comments]

    I was making my first fortress, things were going pretty well after I spent a lot of time figuring stuff out. Suddenly, I get warned of this fire breathing creature who runs through the area turning it to ash. The 8 members of my military died and the game lagged out real bad, good time though.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 11:13 AM PST

    Here's Adil the bowyer praying to the god of SUICIDE on top of a stone sarcophagus.

    Posted: 21 Jan 2021 11:32 AM PST

    So I'm building my first dodge pitfall trap. Wonder if the screams of the falling invaders will traumatize sleeping dwarves.

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 08:46 PM PST

    Surprise from an old fort!!!

    Posted: 20 Jan 2021 01:29 PM PST

    I recently abandoned a fort because of some lack of planning/understanding on my part that led to mass dehydration deaths. I start up a new fort in the world and today and a few of my dwarves started getting horrified. I checked them out and they were reliving memories of the deaths of the others from the old fort and their own dehydrated near-death experiences. They're some of the remaining colonists from my old site! That's pretty amazing.

    submitted by /u/brumby79
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment