• Breaking News

    Monday, December 14, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 04:08 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf Fortress is in the top 10 wishlisted games on Steam again, yay!

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 02:14 AM PST

    Steam News - Coffins, Bronze Colossus and Giant gore bits

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 07:01 PM PST

    Theory: In Liu of a literal family line dwarves build unofficial clans and claim ancestors through it. These are all first-gen dwarfs with no relation to one another, but claim a common ancestor who is the same age. Maybe she is the clan leader

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 09:26 AM PST

    If you are bored of steel and bronze try out my alternate metals generator

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 09:17 AM PST

    My site will let you generate new metals and their associated ores. You can then download the necessary raw files to play with the new metals. Just drop them into your raw/objects folder and gen a new world.

    The metals will have properties similar to real world metals although they can achieve strengths that approach the special metals in DF.

    The generator will make alloys and even some advanced metals that require unusual ingredients like borax or chromite.

    submitted by /u/UpsetChemist
    [link] [comments]

    Well this was a brutal end to a wonderful fortress. My moat did very little to keep them out

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 03:25 AM PST

    The thing that really keeps me from being successful at Dwarf Fortress

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 10:55 AM PST

    I've figured out why I never get anywhere in this game, and I'm not sure how to deal with it. I noticed that I currently have, between three different folders, a total of nine different fortresses on nine different worlds, all sitting unplayed for the same reason; it didn't feel like a good foundation to keep building upon.

    I always start with great optimism, big ideas, new things I want to explore, etc. etc. I'm sure you all know the feeling. But as a fort starts to reach year 8-12 I simply cannot maintain that enthusiasm any more. I just look at my fort and can see only the things that didn't work out, or things that ended up being more trouble than they're worth, or lines of endeavor that I had to abandon due to a glitch or unforeseen circumstance. I see a fortress that is 80% functional and I find that I am either spending all my time trying to correct all the nagging little issues that bother me (and make no real progress) or I just make them 2nd priority and forge ahead with my plans anyway. When I do this it just means my dwarfs start getting unhappy and I have to stop and go back to the former mode.

    Thanks to this, the siren's song of a new world always wins in the end. I just get more and more frustrated at all the problems that pile up because if I dedicate myself to fixing them, I usually end up stuck there making no progress for ten months, and at the end of it I never feel satisfied with what I've done.

    Am I the only person stuck in this cycle?

    submitted by /u/Twuntz
    [link] [comments]

    An artefact dumpster

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 10:21 AM PST

    Note : English is not my first language.

    I just started a new game and I was looking around when I spotted several objects on the snow.

    They are all artefacts. I looked on Legends Viewer and it appears there is a kobold's cave near this location and this kobold civilization stole dwarven artifacts and just dump them on the ground here.

    Among these artifacts there is the "Skull of Dust" a slab containing "the secrets of life and death" created by our goddess of death. I think my next objective will be to build a temple with this slab.

    But the best one is probably Atekusan "Boremurders" :

    *" This is a chicken bone grate. All craftmanship is of the highest quality. It is studded with lay pewter. On the item is an image of a half moon in pineapple opal."*

    submitted by /u/Alan_Lovelace
    [link] [comments]

    DevLog 13 December 2020: "I've continued on with the look-hover/character-building-item sheet stuff and also caught up on some more graphics. Patrick drews some coffins, which are of course very important to keep the ghost population down"

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 05:23 PM PST

    Of Moats and Elves

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 02:50 AM PST

    So here is how I accidentally committed a terrible war crime against a peaceful nation. At least they were (mostly) elves.

    I've been getting into more creative trap designs recently, and came across the 'Dorf Ideas' page on the wiki. The easiest ones involving draw bridges. For example: Too many cats? No problem! Simply place your beloved felines on the bridge, flip the lever, and watch them fly either off-screen or into a puddle of new, harvestable, cat tallow for your soap. On the more practical end- moats!
    There we are, building a big 3-level deep canyon that is to be filled with water as soon as invaders set foot into it. Three bridges, two that raise up to contain the drowning enemies, and another to actually let the water from the river in.
    Simple, right? Well, we decided to test it at the worst possible time.

    An elven caravan was just leaving the fortress when the lever was pulled. They were in the middle of cocking canyon. Even worse at that point our Mayor had decided to have a really close gander at the entrance bridge.
    So it went like this - Elves in the canyon, a dwarven mayor screaming overhead and splatting on the opposite wall, and the canyon slowly, but surely filling with water. At this point if the levers are pulled the fortress too would be a watery death trap.
    I watch in horror and dismay as the elves, pack animals, and a battered grumbling mayor are washed down into the massive drain we built that splashes down into the caverns.

    It... worked! Highly recommended!

    submitted by /u/DizzyGrimly
    [link] [comments]

    Slaptundras

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 08:08 AM PST

    Algedt, "Mergedscrews". It is an steel mechanism. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of plastic and decorated with engraved threading. This facility decided to display them rather then use them for a trap.

    Posted: 14 Dec 2020 12:31 PM PST

    Splatterface II, Round 1 Bout 5: Thogsloc vs. Ladlor

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 03:00 PM PST

    A dancer and a necromancer?? I am terrified!

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 05:24 PM PST

    Had """vampire"" incident in my fort. (full story in comments.)

    Posted: 13 Dec 2020 04:44 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment