• Breaking News

    Wednesday, September 2, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress I’ve started adding a “hub” to my fortresses and spread out from there instead of just long hallways that start and need at staircases. This is my latest crack at it. IGNORE THE FLOODING WELL!

    Dwarf Fortress I’ve started adding a “hub” to my fortresses and spread out from there instead of just long hallways that start and need at staircases. This is my latest crack at it. IGNORE THE FLOODING WELL!


    I’ve started adding a “hub” to my fortresses and spread out from there instead of just long hallways that start and need at staircases. This is my latest crack at it. IGNORE THE FLOODING WELL!

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 01:12 AM PDT

    This. DAY 1. so much.... fun ��.

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 07:00 AM PDT

    This dwarf says "Wear a mask!"

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 05:44 PM PDT

    Apparently werebadgers are quite serious creatures....

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 04:58 AM PDT

    The Bay 12 Games Report, September 1st, 2020

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:34 PM PDT

    Future of the Fortress 1 September 2020: "There is no difference in the saves from the guts. It just doesn't display the second tile. Currently, there isn't a lot you can do mechanically with the second tile (we had various ideas that didn't go in), so it isn't a big deal."

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:47 PM PDT

    Got my first world age transition!

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 01:53 PM PDT

    So, looks like Toady shot down the recently popular idea that long term memories can't be replaced by short term memories of equal strength. Thoughts?

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 11:13 PM PDT

    "Quote from: Bumber:

    Is it true that long term memories can't be replaced by short term memories of equal strength? This Reddit thread seems to think it's the cause of major stress issues. [Edit: By our own /u/PolymorphicWetware]

    FantasticDorf: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.msg8176941#msg8176941

    That doesn't appear to be how it works (not that there aren't bugs or issues, etc., so the following might not be how it actually works either.) The eight "long term" memory slots are a fairly short-term holding pen in the end, depending on how much happens to the dwarf - it appears they can get overwritten even by weaker short term memories that promote (which can happen after lasting a year in short term.) However, while they are in these eight slots, any long term memory that resurfaces (in the emotions paragraph) has a 1/3 chance at that time of being converted to a core memory, which is when the personalities change. There's no limit on how many core memories can be stored (within reason) and they don't get overwritten. The only time a long term memory can block itself from being overwritten by a short-term memory is if they are exactly the same type of circumstance, then the strong one wins. Core memories don't resurface as often, and aren't as intense.

    For short term memories against themselves, the system is to take an empty slot first, otherwise if you find one with the same grouping you replace it if you are stronger (or equal strength 1/3rd of the time), otherwise if nothing matches, you simply overwrite the weakest (even if you are weaker than it!) So for them it's kind of the opposite, really - a dwarf with a lot of varied circumstances will overwrite strong memories with weaker ones before they get a chance to promote to long term. If anything is causing issues like rain-memory-prevalence it'd be something like this, because it is based more on frequency than strength."

    Thoughts?

    [Edit: This is from the 1 September 2020 FotF reply.]

    submitted by /u/clinodev
    [link] [comments]

    DevLog 1 September 2020: "Dwarf Fortress Talk #26 has been posted. This episode has special guest Brian Bucklew on to talk about Caves of Qud and roguelike/game development more generally."

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:29 PM PDT

    27 Wave!

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 05:22 AM PDT

    Still new, building up nice and slowly.

    first group got another 7 dowfs really good.

    second group 27! I am not ready for this many, And they are mostly herbs, animal trainers and peasants.

    Should I just start chucking them out, or maybe turning them all into fighters to go die somewhere else?

    submitted by /u/Gamesdisk
    [link] [comments]

    "Kobold Forest Retreat"

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    Dwarf Fortress Talk #26

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:16 PM PDT

    Moving Minecarts Full Of Magma For Workshops

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 10:05 PM PDT

    Newbie tries to get into the game...

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    Hello there! First let's say I really like this game! Been watching quite a lot of videos about it (especially Kruggsmash) , read many posts, opinions and i love this game very much! Recently I've installed it myself, was referring the dwarf fortress wiki starting guide, so far so good, i understand the mechanics (at least i think so hah), i built a fort, made rooms, workshops, designated labors, got migrants etc, it's really not that hard after you invest some time in it... But what I'm trying to say here, yes i can build a simple fort by myself now, i can understand how things work but that's it... Watching or reading about people going for their glorious adventures, getting incredible stories it seems so much fun! The question is how can i create those stories, how do i create my own adventures? Do i need to know more of the game mechanics and how to utilize those, do i need better imagination or what... I really love this game i understand it has unlimited possibilities, but just how to get on the way...

    Thanks for your opinions!

    submitted by /u/Pengv1us
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf Fortress fans! Convince me to start playing your game!

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 06:12 AM PDT

    I recently came across the fact that DF is free to play. I'm still not sure if I should get it though because I've heard that the learning curve is quite steep. Give me your best shot at telling me why I should play!

    submitted by /u/yoryt
    [link] [comments]

    So- during embark I encountered something interesting.

    Posted: 01 Sep 2020 07:42 PM PDT

    So- during embark I encountered something interesting.

    I have no clue how this happened or why this happened but I'll let y'all know later. Right now I'm making a fort to give myself a small bastion in the world.
    Edit, I just realized I'm an idiot and didn't share a picture

    https://preview.redd.it/xznjoh5ehnk51.jpg?width=1920&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=caf165ef242a54b8625bd586173545bce30ae620

    submitted by /u/CalciteNerd
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment