• Breaking News

    Thursday, September 3, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress I was intrigued by this poetic form used by one of my dwarves, so I tried my hand at it making one following it's rules as closely as I can.

    Dwarf Fortress I was intrigued by this poetic form used by one of my dwarves, so I tried my hand at it making one following it's rules as closely as I can.


    I was intrigued by this poetic form used by one of my dwarves, so I tried my hand at it making one following it's rules as closely as I can.

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:27 AM PDT

    D&Dwarf Fortress creatures - Drunian

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 09:03 AM PDT

    Just look at this absolute legend of a smith

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 02:31 PM PDT

    Just a relaxing morning building a riverside cabin when suddenly I smell a clown. In comes this lady who very quickly ends my playthrough. Log included so you can see how I was just waking up. Time to reclaim my old house and defeat the evil!

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 04:12 AM PDT

    (chuckles) We're in danger

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 12:24 AM PDT

    Gary's Dwarf Fortress Tutiorial - Farms and Layout [German]

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 08:15 AM PDT

    Legends Mode is where the stories live! Here's my next tutorial on how to access and export legends data, and then import it and find the stories using the Legends Viewer from the Starter Pack

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 12:53 AM PDT

    Elf kingdom with Goblin Druid

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 08:03 AM PDT

    The chaotic and disorganized halls of my fort. Any one else make forts like this? I have a lot more Z levels but I can't post a gallery here.

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 12:52 PM PDT

    Just got a berserk dwarf without any way of dealing with him

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 12:33 PM PDT

    I started up a new fortress and got a strange mood relatively quickly and just left him to do his thing, but he went beserk because I forgot to give him animal bones in prime numbered lengths or whatever he requested. Now I have an insane dwarf and no military, and no cage traps without going into the same room as him

    Game is paused, what should I do?

    submitted by /u/GarfieldFutanari
    [link] [comments]

    Streaming Dwarf Fortress :). It's time for the Tiny Tower to go out with a bang, so let's go and visit the circus and play with some clowns haha! SPOILERS EXPECTED (VOD will be linked in the comments once the stream is over)

    Posted: 03 Sep 2020 12:01 PM PDT

    For those of you who had a fortress abruptly tear itself apart in a bloody massacre and weren't sure why, maybe this will shed some light on your situation.

    Posted: 02 Sep 2020 11:52 AM PDT

    I had searched for an answer, but found only one thread from five years ago describing a similar massacre to the one I had and pinning it on a loyalty cascade. I didn't feel like I had the right circumstances for a loyalty cascade though, so I did some further digging, as it were.

    My apologies if this isn't news to anyone, but I didn't see anything explained to this depth.

    First, a bit of context if you want it.

    I've played DF on and off for years now. After a few months away from the game, I installed it again and made a new world with 125 years of history.

    After a few embarks on sites with random damp tiles underground that drove me nuts trying to mine through (no water when you actually dug through them, and no water sources above or below), I settled in the first "haunted" biome I had ever seen. It was in mountains and it was more just to see what happens in a haunted biome than to actually get a successful fortress rolling.

    Three years later (128), I had a thriving fortress. Well, thriving is a bit strong of a word. I haven't quite figured out the intricacies of corpse disposal yet (dwarves get horrified by troglodyte corpses when they go to throw more on the pile outside, and atom smashers feel like too much of an exploit for me to want to use them). My metalworks industry was booming though, and I had an awesome little tavern.

    That's where things went south. At the start of spring in 128, everyone in the fortress turned on each other and the entire place ripped itself apart in the course of a week. ~100 dead, the survivors being too injured or emotionally damaged to carry on. The hundreds of combat logs were of little help trying to determine exactly what happened, but the fight seemed to have started (or at least there was the most blood and body parts) in my main hall and tavern area. I tried to carry on but fights continued to break out and nobody would do anything because of the rampant depression and emotional shock. I had to retire the fort.

    But...what happened?

    If you didn't read the spoiler, the summary is that at the start of the third year of my fort, everyone started killing each other until I had ~100 dead and survivors too injured or emotionally damaged to work. I could not make sense of why.

    Here were my initial theories, if you care to read.

    At first I assumed it was a drunken tavern brawl that got out of hand. But those had been occurring since the tavern went up and nobody had ever gotten seriously hurt.

    I decided it probably had something to do with the haunted biome I had settled in. Someone had been possessed or something, but I would've expected a notification like when a dwarf goes berserk.

    Doing some research, I finally pinned it on a loyalty spiral, though these seem to be caused primarily by conflict with caravans, of which I had none at the time.

    Finally, here's what really happened, if you want an in-depth explanation.

    I ended up searching for my fort in the world legends before starting another game. The results were intriguing. I've paraphrased the entries for conciseness. If you'd rather just get a straight answer, skip to the TL;DR.

    Anguishedstakes was the name of the fort. The Rough Letter was the government.

    # Early spring of 128 - Turkey hen slain by Osush Botheredjade.

    This is the first death in the massacre. This got me wondering who Osush was and why he felt the need to kill a turkey hen. So I did some research on him.

    # Midautum of 127 - Osush settles in Anguishedstake. Later that year he is corrupted by Obin Lakecherished, who wanted an agent in Anguishedstake.

    An agent in my fort? Why? Who was this? I proceeded to research Obin.

    # Late autumn 126 - Obin Lakecherished plotted to infiltrate the Rough Letter to steal treasure and prepare a coup under the influence of Naspa Islandscoured. He moved into Anguishedstake the following year, posing as a bard.

    This was pretty groundbreaking for me. A coup would explain how the fight started, and why those who weren't privy to the origin of the fight might attack the wrong targets. Of course, anyone witnessing that would then start fighting and so on, and the whole place would become one big riot. Research on Naspa revealed her to have a long criminal history of corruption. While the above two were killed in the massacre, she's still at large. I have half a mind to track her down as an adventurer and administer justice, as the last place she settled is in the legends.

    TL;DR: Two years prior to the massacre, a coup had been plotted against my fort's government by an outsider. She sent an agent into the fort, who then influenced an agent of his own. I suspect when the lethal fighting for the coup attempt finally broke out, dwarves moved in to neutralize the aggressor, only to become aggressors in the eyes of other nearby dwarves. This created a chain reaction similar to a loyalty cascade, though without "factions."

    submitted by /u/SideFun1070
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment