• Breaking News

    Monday, September 14, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I made this out of my world's biome map. The red in the middle is mountain ranges.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 10:24 PM PDT

    Dwarven augmentation is badass!

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 04:11 AM PDT

    I wanted to know who killed/reanimated this hydra. He caused the fall of my dwarven civilization and I need answers!

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 07:37 AM PDT

    TIL military dwarves aren't the only ones who do demonstrations.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 10:59 PM PDT

    Discussion of fortress defense types

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    Background: I've just embarked on a 1x1 with half water and half ice. My world is with mods, and I have 200 civs on a 65x65 world in year 2.

    I test ran a fort for a year to see when things would melt or freeze (The result) I used df hack to teleport my one little dwarf into a dry aquifer channel and waited out the sieges and infighting until he starved in obsidian. The water doesn't freeze and the ice never melts, so I can have ice traps.

    The number of civilizations, megabeasts, werebeasts, titans, and anything else I could increase is absurd. It is literally the highest number I could include without crashing during world gen.

    TLDR: 10+ caravans in the first summer, 3 sieges in the first autumn, more titans than you can shake a stick at and an absurd amount of FUN

    Goals: The highest throughput killing device I can fit on a 1x1 embark that quickly and without drawing dwarf attention murders invaders, while leaving room for caravans to come through.

    Options:

    Dodge-me into repeating upright spikes: pros: only takes 3 z levels, efficient. cons: doesn't catch trap-void or fliers

    Dodge-me into deep pit: as above - doesn't need spike trap rigging but takes way too many z levels

    bridges+pressure plates into deep pit: pros: can catch a huge seige all at once, cons: way too many z levels, doesn't get fliers or trap-void but can be levered to trigger manually for trap-voids

    Ice trap: pros: kills literally everything 100% of the time. cons: a pain in the ass to set up and use, takes awhile to drain and a lot of horizontal space near the surface and above my aquifer.

    Pill boxes + marksdwarves (and spitting/projectile animals): pros: get a nice military going as a byproduct, there will be more than plenty to shoot at, siegers don't need to go anywhere, they can just stay and die on the surface (no miasma) cons: dwarves can get shot at and killed

    Minecart shenanigans: pros: ? cons: seems like a big FPS hit, dangerous to dwarves, and i've never worked with them before

    Magma: pros: duh, cons: i'd have to pump it up from the magma sea and it melts the precious prizes on the sieger corpses

    Cage trap hall: pros: easy, cons: lame, trap-voids

    Am I missing any?

    Which will work best to funnel as many things in and kill them as quickly as possible?

    submitted by /u/potatotate_spudlord
    [link] [comments]

    Werebeast defense

    Posted: 14 Sep 2020 06:46 AM PDT

    I fear no invasion, no titan, no forgotten beasts

    But I always get sideswiped by some random werebeast that goes unnoticed until it's 5 feet outside my fort and inevitably infects at least a few guys

    How do you all prepare for these?

    I'm considering chaining up a bunch of dogs roughly near the map corners and edges as an early warning system and praying that soundsense goes off and I don't brush it off as another hunter dog skirmish

    I could seal off the surface entirely, which is what I used to do. But why should I have to hide underground when there is so much timber and fresh apples up here to enjoy?

    submitted by /u/Level_Scientist
    [link] [comments]

    Intro animation goosebumps.

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 10:49 PM PDT

    as the title says,have you ever had some form of goosebumps when the intro animation of df ends ? i always have them,its just the echo and the smooth transition to the menu music that does it for me.

    View Poll

    submitted by /u/Gwakkerboybaggot
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf Fortress Roundtable Episode Release : Ep. 37: In Which We Ponder: Where Have The Goblins Gone?

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 07:20 PM PDT

    A Digital Fan-Cover Of The Let's Play Archive Of Headshoots .

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 06:48 PM PDT

    Year 9 of Bridgeflame - Minecarts Maybe? - 14/09

    Posted: 13 Sep 2020 06:14 AM PDT

    Apparently Tasty has left me a nasty surprise. Hopefully I'll find it before it wreaks havoc on the fort. In the meantime, I'm hoping to help with the morale issues caused by catastrophic mismanagement on the fort of my co-overlords as regarding the treatment of dwarves.

    If you'd like to stop by, I stream from 10:30 (UTC +1) onward (until I either get bored or called away for stuff and things).

    On the agenda I have, in no particular order:

    Play around with minecarts some (I've been learning, but there's still so much to learn)

    Exile unhappy dwarves

    Figure out in what way Tasty is trying to screw me

    Deface the narcissistic ramblings of the prior overseers

    I hope to see some of you there.

    submitted by /u/VeruMamo
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment