• Breaking News

    Saturday, July 11, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress I Slept in a Bedroom

    Dwarf Fortress I Slept in a Bedroom


    I Slept in a Bedroom

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    Teaching my dog to play Dwarf Fortress!

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 03:56 PM PDT

    Werebear attacked, wielding the ultimate weapon

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 03:35 AM PDT

    My fortress was held hostage by an echidna

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 03:11 AM PDT

    Note: thanks to u/clinodev for helping me and suggesting what to do

    I am fairly new to this game and after a lot of fun I managed to have a fortress going somewhat ok. I embarked with a lot of animals, seeds, so the basic needs were not a problem.

    I ended up in a pretty good spot and I managed to understand how to make soil underground. Since the place was near some evil locations (necromancer tower and something else) I thought it was perfect to understand how sieges worked, see how the military functions and generally have some more fun.

    Before grass started to grow, to have some underground pastures, I had the luck of being sieged by necromancers. I guess I deserved that, so I paused the game, told my dwarves to get in and close the gates. At that point I didn't have battlements, any defensive platform, only a floodgate and a lot of patience. So I started waiting.

    Long story short: the necromancers got bored, in the meantime I trained 2 full squads of dwarves (one of speardwarves, one ranged) and after a year or something the siege was lifted, leaving behind some reanimated corpses. Included that damned echidna.

    Currently, over 30 people are trying to kill that thing since a week. Several dwarves became depressed, the hospital is filled with injured dwarves. All because that damned echidna.

    I know (well, now) that spears are highly ineffective against undead in dwarf fortress (I should have known. I guess that several years of rpg didn't teach me anything). I have over 50 pages of reports of dwarves smashing the corpse with spears, shield, themselves, crossbows, crossbow bolts. The echidna has basically no upper body, but still fights.

    I started recruiting a new unit of macedwarves, but a) I don't have so much metal to equip fully 3 squads, and I feel I will get only more wounded if I send more dwarves to kill it and b) it takes time to make maces.

    In the first post (since it was a question I was asked to post it in the right place and the post was deleted) u/clinodev gave me several suggestions, like making traps. Luckily during the end of the siege I was getting bored and I found out how to do an atom smasher, sadly the necromancers left before I had any way of trying it, but right now it was going to be handy. However, I still hoped that the macedwarves could in some way kill the bloody echidna and free my fortress from it (he camped the entrance, so animals, migrants etc. would get stuck or flee).

    As I expected, the ragged-tagged band of recruits I enlisted had a rough time. I equipped them with maces (mostly), but the armors were still in production. Result? Several dwarves were injured, three died on the spot (a farmer that was still there even if I ordered a general retreat and a couple of the recruits), two died of injury later because my four accomplished doctors couldn't handle the stream of patients. At least 2 other dwarves died because they vomited too much, fell unconscious on the echidna and the other dwarves couldn't recover them (because they engaged in the fight).

    At this point I was told that there was a chance I had the unkillable echidna bug. Fair enough, let's check: "upper body, ripped apart; upper body torso, completely destroyed. But no injuries on the lower part." MMMMMMMHHH. Yep. Definetely. After several weeks of trying to dislodge that thing from the realm of the livings I gave up.

    The dwarves didn't answer in time and got in the way of the drawbridge, preventing me from activating it. The echidna got in the fortress and voilà, a fortress that didn't lose a single dwarf against an undead siege capitulates because of a small stingy undead is too tough for 30 professional soldiers. Next time I see an echidna on the map I'll kill him and throw the corpse in my deepest pit.

    submitted by /u/ObiWanMolobi
    [link] [comments]

    Today in Dwarf Fortress.. Bazsa The Forgotten.

    Posted: 11 Jul 2020 07:21 AM PDT

    SAVESCUM!

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 01:41 PM PDT

    So what are people's thoughts on savescumming? I am a save scummer. At first I felt guilty because that's really not the intended way of playing games like this. But it makes the game sooo much more fun, at least for me personally.

    I get the whole loosing is FUN philosophy, but I end up getting pretty attached to my adventurers and certain fort dwarves. Now don't get me wrong, I don't save scum every single time any little thing goes wrong, I let bad situations play out and try to overcome them still. But if something wipes out my military you better believe I'm going to save scum and see if I can come at that problem from a better angle next time.

    I get that it's a little cheap, but I don't know if I could handle the utter devastation of loosing an adventure I've put a week irl into, or loosing a fort I spent three irl days just to plan. While cheap, I think it also helps me to get a better feel for the game than I would have otherwise. Just being able to try and try till I find the one thing that works, or at least kills the least of my dwarves.

    I guess I was kinda spoiled growing up with the elder scrolls, where save scumming is just the default save mechanic. I've gotten over any real guilt I felt about it because I couldn't play this game without save scumming, and I sure as fuck couldn't play C:DDA with out savescumming (shit is terrifying).

    Thoughts? Am I not a true harbinger of Armoks wrath in some of your eyes? Does anyone else shamelessly savescum? Does anyone generally try to resist the temptation but occasionally succumb upon the death of a favorite dwarf? Oh yeah, raid savescumming doesn't count, that shit is just a necessity at times.

    submitted by /u/kamihanta
    [link] [comments]

    44,000 strong goblin civ. Can’t wait to bring this behemoth down :)

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    Born today and already has a better moustache than I ever will

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 07:25 PM PDT

    Dwarf Fortress Gladiator Tournament V - Round 1 Betting

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 06:19 PM PDT

    Document hub

    The bracket is in the master document.

    The Rules are as follows:

    Anyone can bet.

    Everybody starts with 100 gold.

    A better can only bet on one contestant every round.

    Payout is calculated by the popularity of the fighting gladiator, and his opponent. More, and bigger bets on any one gladiator will give less payout overall. There is a formula that does the work, I have no opinion on who are the more popular gladiators.

    Remember that your fighter actually has to win, so if you bet on the biggest underdog out there, you either get very rich, or very poor.

    Bets are posted here. Try to only post bets, and make them easy to read. Enjoy!

    submitted by /u/Morpheus_Darkwater
    [link] [comments]

    I finally got my first artifact and it's a.. mudstone floodgate

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 03:52 PM PDT

    Gebbisonra - Dark Ages IV: War & Mythos [mod]

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 08:13 PM PDT

    A bridge won't stop a forest fire

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    A bridge won't stop a forest fire

    I decided to build a tall wall surrounding the entrance of my Mountian Fortress, the walls are made from Rhyolite and the bridge, which (read from the wiki) acts as an impassable invisible wall when raised... did not stop the random forest fire as seen in the picture below.

    https://preview.redd.it/p8ot7we053a51.jpg?width=1920&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=15def81d53e92dbf225338ea9fd99e0a4c948d0f

    Luckily enough the fire did not enter the Fortress as I quickly built a wall inside, while my crops were burned and some of the animals who couldn't enter in time died as well.

    submitted by /u/WolfsRainESP
    [link] [comments]

    Retired my first ever Fortress (Called Abbeyknowing)

    Posted: 10 Jul 2020 02:40 PM PDT

    It all went so well for 2 years in game. Trading was great, had a legendary cook and press user. Also had a legendary gem cutter. Had two squads, one hand to hand, one mainly crossbow dwarves. The entire Fortress was 69 dwarves strong. I made a really stupid mistake that ended half my dwarves. What ended up happening was I placed a bunch of floors down, not knowing they removed stairs. Or at least that was what appeared to have happened. then because they were so weak they weren't able to remove the stairs in time, and half my dwarves died. I decided to retire before the oncoming goblin forces approached. My entire military died because of that one mistake. The other stupid mistake I made during that fortress was while attempting to build an above-ground farm I ended up accidentally misunderstanding what a farm tutorial was saying, and ended up channeling a hundred tiles. So ended up with a massive hole right next to the entrance of the fort. I'm having tons of fun, and hopefully next time I die to the goblin scourge instead of starvation.

    submitted by /u/TheX37th
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment