• Breaking News

    Tuesday, March 17, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress Krugg inspired me to also do a volcano fort. Strike the earth!

    Dwarf Fortress Krugg inspired me to also do a volcano fort. Strike the earth!


    Krugg inspired me to also do a volcano fort. Strike the earth!

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 03:35 AM PDT

    Why necromancy probably isn't a very good idea.

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 08:46 PM PDT

    Yes, sounds like an interesting poem

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:42 AM PDT

    Strange Mood insanity counter reset experiment

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 08:58 AM PDT

    I'll start by saying that I'm relatively new to the game.

    On dwarffortresswiki I read that the insanity timer of my secretive dorf will be reset whenever he brings a new item to his claimed workshop. Forbidding a wood log the little fellow has already hauled (t-f on the workshop) makes him get a new one. I'm planning on making him fetch new pieces until a trade caravan arrives with some nice silk cloth he so desperately needs.

    I have not seen anyone use this technique so thought I would make this post to hear your thoughts. I'll report back with the results!

    Update: My plan did not work and my carpenter is going to have some FUN I think, next time I will be better prepared. I am not sure if it was my dwarfiness that made me miss the timer or if the technique doesn't work as I don't understand time (yet).

    submitted by /u/Dianthus_C
    [link] [comments]

    I am a respected hero after I killed Giant Lion Boredworshipped!

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:30 AM PDT

    Dwarven Civilisation, The Fortresses and The Hillocks

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 03:30 AM PDT

    I've been thinking recently about the political arrangements of civilisations in Dwarf Fortress(mostly just for my rigorous/silly naming needs). I was wondering if the community here would be able to inform me on the sort of society we're looking at our dwarves take part in.
    While it is a non-standard society merely down to a culture of egalitarianism(at least historically speaking, non-standard) there seems to be a number of homages made to some sort of feudal contract between lord, lady and king.

    Would it be wrong to assume that Dwarven civilisation is some form of feudal society where our Dwarven lords/ladies swear fealty to a sovereign, or is there something I might be missing? Maybe it's so obvious that it's a silly question, but I haven't seen any mention anywhere about Dwarven society other than it being paid tribute to by gameplay.

    Thanks, Urists!

    submitted by /u/Propan2
    [link] [comments]

    Idgarad Squad Breakdown

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 06:09 AM PDT

    With covid-19 I actually have a bit of free time! Anyway plenty of tutorials on military not so much on managing what squads to have. With everyone stuck inside I figure a few quick ideas on squads:

    1: Royal Guard (Captain of the Guard) - I keep them in leather armor with Silver Warhammers. I create a few burrows called GP0-GP9 (Guard Post). These are internal guards to the base. I usually have 1 GP burrow just outside of public spaces. The GP burrows are 2x2 with a finished meal stockpile (single square) and a single drink stockpile in that 2x2. I usually have a chair and table for decorative purposes (Happy thoughts). One of the GPs is just outside my prison area. Handy when fights break out.

    2: Reserves (Militia Commander) - I throw my commoners, haulers, cooks, farmers, and spare soldiers\patrollers in the reserves. Their schedule is 4 training year round. Everyone who is not a critical crafter or noble goes in the reserves. I've literally had 7 reserve squads in a mature fortress.

    3: Intercept squad - Leather with mixed melee weapons (Obsidian swords if available). Fast tackle (o7). This is a professional solider squad. Usual training of min 4, every other month.

    4: Assault Team - Heavy metal melee. Silver Warhammers and heavy metal armor. Usual training of 4 every other month opposite of Intercept Squad.

    5: Patrol Team - Marksdwarves. Again professional Patrollers 4 training, year round and 2 assigned to patrolling a waypoint (usually between towers.) I usually have 2 patroller teams in a mature fortress.

    I have a military alert level RED ALERT which changes stock routines.

    RED ALERT (Used during sieges)

    • No training.
    • Royal Guard stationed in the main dining hall
    • Reserves do nothing. They are set to 6 training year round during red alert.
    • Intercept squad. No training. Stationed near the trade depot. Each solider assigned a war dog.
    • Assault Team. no Training. Stationed behind the Intercept squad a short distance away.
    • Patrol Teams No training. Stationed at the tower for primary defense.
    • Civs restricted to Home burrow (inside)
    • Children to the daycare area (Toy stockpile, food, drink, well, and puppies) just off the main dining hall.

    General Layout

    Trap Hall -> Cage Traps (max 5) -> The Dog Park -> Depot -> Intercept Squad Station -> Assault Team

    submitted by /u/idgarad
    [link] [comments]

    Welcome to Gatestar!

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 08:10 PM PDT

    Unicorn Bone Spear

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 06:31 PM PDT

    Wanting to know how this game works

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 11:48 AM PDT

    I kinda understand the controls and the concept. Just curious on how to play pretty much. I've seen/read about the game but still don't quite know how to play. If someone could let me know how to play and a basic strategy for playing that would be awesome!

    submitted by /u/ImGrewd
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf Therapist Optimizer not assigning highly skilled Dwarves? Check options > roles and play with the weightings.

    Posted: 17 Mar 2020 07:46 AM PDT

    So I was going insane yesterday with Dwarf Therapist's Optimizer refusing to assign my level 11 and 15 stonecrafters instead opting to assign folks with very low skill but higher potential for craftsdwarf. It wasn't like it was assigning them to something they were better for (eg: Level 11 in this, but was legendary +5 in something else....nope, 11 is the highest he's got, second highest skill is 1)

    Even when setting priority to 20 it wouldn't assign them. Oddly it would only assign the legendary when I set priority to either .8 or .1 but no other value, all my stuff runs from 0.0 to 2.0 in 0.2 increments, not sure what's up with that.

    I went into options to see if something was weird, and noticed in roles it has the ability to override skill weight. Even setting that way up did nothing until I turned Attribute Potential to 0.2 AND Skill Weight to 1.5 (I don't think I need these exact numbers but it worked so running with it for now)

    Now it's assigning my most Dwarves as expected and DF is no longer trying to assign my level 2s with ~5% higher potential over my level 10+ dwarves. Anyway just figured I'd share in case it helps anyone with a similar headaches.

    submitted by /u/SpiritDragon
    [link] [comments]

    Just captured a bronze collosus

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 05:56 PM PDT

    What should i do with it?

    submitted by /u/ninjaboy61
    [link] [comments]

    Going to vent, just lost a fantastic fortress to bugs and FPS death, learn from my mistakes.

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 03:41 PM PDT

    Well, it was a great run getting into the game again after about 4 years, but it again ends in disappointment:

    • First food stockpiles broke down completely. Dwarves would not haul any alcohol or prepared food barrels, leaving them at the kitchen and stills

    • For some reason FPS tanked from a solid 45 for a 100 dwarf fortress to 6 FPS for little reason.

    • Missions have begun to slow to a grind as war animals have huge problems pathing, sometimes crawling their way to the far side of the map to go out on missions. Remember, all the assigned animals have to leave the map to start the mission.

    • Can't choose where squads return so you have to bridge off most of the map to control re-entry.

    • some machines would break, but luckily it never lowered any bridges, but hatches mysteriously close.

    • Individual training stops dwarves in the military from fulfilling needs so you have to micro burrows or unassign barracks so they spend time relaxing.

    Just a shame about losing a fortress of only a 100 dwarfs right when they were about to wipe out an entire civilization of Goblins.

    submitted by /u/Metadomino
    [link] [comments]

    [Stream] Helping new players and checking out the 47.03 villains release! 3-4 hours long

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 07:13 PM PDT

    what do you guys picture armok to look like

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 03:45 PM PDT

    like im imagining him looking a bit like a non copywrite version of khorne from warhammer or something scary what do you guys think he looks like

    submitted by /u/darkshreaders2
    [link] [comments]

    Warale The Ageless Elder(Succession Fortress) :Looking for more overseers!

    Posted: 16 Mar 2020 01:26 PM PDT

    Link to discord: https://discordapp.com/channels/102738113478021120/677134627391012865

    In a world devastated by goblins and villans,a fortress stands. Warale. 15 years ago we settled in the plains. Many artifacts have been produced here. We have many heroes in our fortress. Such as Elfslayer69 the legendary goblin swordsman. Would you like to help us bring peace to the world?

    submitted by /u/Koopaplayer0927
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment