• Breaking News

    Monday, March 9, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The site of The Purge - What just happened? They all suddenly started slaughtering eachother?! (And are still doing so)

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 08:31 AM PDT

    Minecarts are more functional than I would have believed

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 02:23 AM PDT

    Until this past week, I had not used a single minecart beyond QSPiles, figuring that dwarf labor was good enough to not bother investing in setting tracks up.

    I've been playing around with it now, and I'm really liking them! I have a cut-out track that goes from the surface to my central stockpile area for bringing down wood, meat, and trade goods, then I have a central spiral-ramp that connects between my living quarters, my central quantum piles, and my shops area. Whenever I need to move a large quantity of items, its only a few seconds to set up a route. And since guided carts can phase through eachother (and even co-exist on the same stop) I can have as many of them chugging along as I want.

    For now it's mostly just distributing from my central QS to the shops as I was very late setting up my shops so the QS is huge - saving a ton of time, and I can more easily use a few dedicated haulers so the rest of my dorfs can focus on production. Prefect for a low-pop fort where you don't want to waste any hands.

    Anyone else bother to do this? Have you found any useful tips/workarounds?

    I intend to make a one-way-valve with a cart-jump so I can force all my stragglers indoors after my gates lock.

    EDIT: Of god this has all gone horribly, at the drop of a hat all my dwarves went full The Purge and slaughtered eachother. Went from my cap of 60 down to - Oh! There goes another, make that 27! dwarfs remaining :/ They are still going murder cray

    EDIT like 30 seconds later, make that 23. A child just punched a miners head off unprovoked :o!

    submitted by /u/Braekyn
    [link] [comments]

    Here I sit broken hearted, tried to fort and only martyred

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 05:03 AM PDT

    Plump Helmet ready for harvest

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 12:43 PM PDT

    Beginner's tips, if you please.

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 09:24 AM PDT

    Hey, I just started Dwarf Fortress because it seemed interesting but of course since most of them are symbols, I'm having a hard time navigating myself through my world and ended frozen in the sea somehow.

    Any tips or whatever shit I can use to get better at understanding how stuff works in this game? I really, really wanna learn how and I figured the subreddit would be a good place to start.

    submitted by /u/D-Clazzroom
    [link] [comments]

    Two dwarfs chasing down a pair of thieving coatis, drawn by my viewers Crazy Potato and Jim Hon

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 04:45 PM PDT

    The best named bronze colossus I have ever seen

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 09:59 PM PDT

    *IMPATIENTLY SAY GOODBYE*

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 08:24 PM PDT

    [UPDATE] I've added advanced filters and updated support for Villain and Conflict announcements for my DF Log utility!

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 07:14 PM PDT

    I've uploaded an update for DF Log (<-- bay12 thread) supporting new announcement types, professions, moods, and INTRODUCING:

    • pause/unpause for DFHack users (shoutout to /u/Fleeting_Frames)
    • default panel layouts (a basic layout that splits combat into a separate panel, and an advanced panel that further splits citizen thoughts into multiple panels)
    • conflict conversation filtering

    screenshots:

    previous reddit threads: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/b4aj2q/df_log_the_split_panels_and_group_filtering_update/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/ac011y/updated_df_log_a_realtime_gamelogtxt_syntax/

    release reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/9nqq2r/made_a_utility_to_monitor_the_game_log/

    but_why.gif:

    • no need to pause the action to read the announcement / combat log (but if you use DFHack, now you CAN pause and unpause from _this_ utility)
    • colors for quick scanning
    • some lines can be collapsed for brevity
    • if conversation logging is enabled in data/init/announcements.txt(search for "REGULAR_CONVERSATION" and change to [REGULAR_CONVERSATION:A_D:D_D] one could see exactly what their dwarfs are thinking/talking about in real time!
    • if conflict conversation logging is enabled in data/init/announcements.txt(search for "CONFLICT_CONVERSATION" and change to [CONFLICT_CONVERSATION:A_D:D_D:UCR_A] those thoughts can be filtered elsewhere, (like say a panel dedicated to combat).

    Have Fun!

    submitted by /u/sxtxixtxcxh
    [link] [comments]

    Poor giant

    Posted: 09 Mar 2020 03:16 AM PDT

    Vampire Trap Tavern

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 05:15 PM PDT

    Vampire Trap Tavern

    Work on my obsidian fortress is slow, requiring a lot of mining. Which is why I was very upset to discover one of my legendary miners dead, in his bed.

    I knew what had happened, but getting my dwarves to know was a pain. I moved a military squad into his room, and he was still missing. I had him dumped near my butchers, a hauler carried him all the way up the tower and still he somehow wasn't found. Finally I had him dumped on my main road and someone finally realised he was dead.
    I tried setting up a justice system (for the first time) in order to jail the culprit next to the miner's coffin for eternity, but a few missed work orders/mandates were a pain. The 12 year old I had assigned to be captain of the guard beat someone until their lungs turned yellow, so I took them off duty. Apparently the wooden cages I had placed didn't work as jails, only metal ones would (I think). Rather than forge some, I decided to take a different approach.

    The culprit was a visitor, an elven dancer. They had been announced as a vampire on arrival, but I foolishly ignored that as I wasn't sure if visitors would drink blood. No one in my small 50 dwarf fort would have suddenly developed vampirism and no other vampires had shown up as visitors. After the werechameleon incident and now this, I decided visitors were too much trouble and closed the tavern. But not before building this: The Vampire Trap Tavern.
    Made up of doors and walls, visitors can be locked into a 1 tile space without disturbing other patrons. Ushus, her fake name, is now trapped for eternity on a tile now designated as a shrine to the dwarven goddess of revenge.

    https://preview.redd.it/og8xy981ijl41.png?width=468&format=png&auto=webp&s=041cf186e51afc096acc6d96af6a2c5c0078aec3

    submitted by /u/FlowerUrchin
    [link] [comments]

    Two dwarven childrends with demon in shelter in woods! #creepy (comm desc links)

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 04:25 PM PDT

    Dadventure Time! Adventure mode for a few hours

    Posted: 08 Mar 2020 03:05 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment