• Breaking News

    Friday, March 6, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 04:07 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 04:07 PM PST

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf dies to troll in a way I didn't think was possible

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 01:05 AM PST

    My speardwarf attacked it, but he didn't have any weapons. So he just kept punching him. The troll passed out from exhaustion shortly after, so my dwarf kept punching him. He kept punching him for 10 days and I looked at the troll and he barely had any damage done to him. Then I ordered all of my dwarves into the military and made them attack the troll. I forgot to remove the "individual choice meele" so they all went in with fists. The troll didn't die. This kept on going for like a month. And the troll was still alive. And my speardwarf was dead, from dehydration.

    I had already ordered them to stop attacking him, but they did not stop. They just kept going. And the troll was just repeatedly waking up and falling unconscious over and over again from overexertion. Until finally about 40 or so days later. He died. I don't think it was because of the punches my dwarves kept giving to him. I think it was just old age or something.

    What have I learned? Don't attack trolls without weapons.

    submitted by /u/Heartsden
    [link] [comments]

    A Dwarf lasher grabs hold of the goblin’s left toe

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 09:24 AM PST

    This necromancer just walked in like they owned the place.

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 08:59 AM PST

    This is the coolest world gen I have yet seen!

    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 03:37 PM PST

    This is the coolest world gen I have yet seen!

    I'm being nitpicky about start failures despite the 'fun' code until I get the feel I am ready to stick with it. Thats how I got a full playthrough of XCOM. Was great too.

    But this world? I'm saving a backup of the map. Its beautifully pangeic. It has two inland lakes the size of seas with straits of land separating them from ocean on both sides. The southern continent looks like scotland and denmark had an even more fjord filled love child. It has two arctic zones!

    Namniton, the Destined Planet

    submitted by /u/Walpurgisknight
    [link] [comments]

    Phantom blood [questionmark] - Bleeding ghosts [questionmark] What the heck!

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 10:23 AM PST

    Phantom blood [questionmark] - Bleeding ghosts [questionmark] What the heck!

    So about 3 years ago I slaughtered some elven merchants because apparrantly a +400 trade profit was too little for them and they decided to pack up and leave. I have no interest in being civil with elves anyway, I was hoping they'd invade me so I could unleash a forgotten beast upon them for sport.Anyway, I engraved slabs for both the dead merchants but for some reason I can't actually place them. Their bodies were dumped down the garbage chute where they belong.Now it doesn't say that the elf is actually a ghost, but I've had a little problem with one of them, their blood is appearing everywhere within my fortress periodically. I used DFhack to clean the map thinking this would solve it but the blood is still appearing 3 years later. Here's some screenshots. There's two other locations with blood not in the screenshot. So 5 blood puddles from this long deceased elf.

    https://preview.redd.it/vx67z2wfh3l41.png?width=1211&format=png&auto=webp&s=9dae1a19bb25c1d729be7c06bb9ae382a19994bf

    submitted by /u/Ub3rfr3nzy
    [link] [comments]

    I need to give my dwarves map quest

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 09:37 AM PST

    Just experienced some early FUN! For one of my favorite reasons yet. While trying to channel out an indoor pond for winter all 3 of my miners finished the job only to get hopelessly lost. There was a path back to the surface, and I even saw another dwarf run down to carry some stone back up. But those three dwarves just seemed so confused "how can he return home but we can't? There is no exit except for that conspicuous ramp towards the town hall"

    I love these guys but children have a better sense of direction

    submitted by /u/tremblinggigan
    [link] [comments]

    Militia commander goes for a quick intervention

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 05:06 AM PST

    Dwarf Fortress 44.12 Adventure Mode Crash

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 12:19 PM PST

    Save files being corrupted inside the save folder AND outside of game directory???Playing with Adventurecraft and Spellcraft mods via Meph launcher

    For MYSTERIOS reason save game gets "corrupted"(???) whenever i collapse the game with Task manager but not only inside the save folder but even outside the whole game folder (doesnt matter when the backup was made, even just the world without any mode selected results in the game instantly crash on "creating adventure" or something like that)

    Creating new world is fine btw

    What kind of magic is dis? *insert angry quote here*? How does that even work in a first place .-.

    submitted by /u/MrXen0m0rph
    [link] [comments]

    I want to make a TTRPG heavily inspired by DF, but keeping it it's own thing

    Posted: 06 Mar 2020 11:58 AM PST

    So I've been working on this little project of mine for some time now. I initially planned for it to be a Dwarf Fortress tabletop remake, but I've found that there are too many things I would like to change to make it a more enjoyable RPG, both for the people playing it and for me developing it. For example, I'd like to change the scale of fortresses, change up many, many monsters and some cultures, add in my own idea of magic, so on and so forth. However, these are the things I plan on keeping from DF no matter what:

    • General races and cultures (carnivorous elves, alcoholic dwrves, goblins, cavern-dwelling kobolds)
    • Focus on dwarven fortresses (but you could do elven and human and so on too)
    • The overall style of industry and progression (same workshops, same professions, aquifers)
    • A feeling of great variety (a ridiculous amount of plantlife, boose types, pie flavours)
    • Beastfolk (savage and of like 1000 species of animals)
    • Random-ish worlds (complete with caverns)
    • Randomly generated forgotten beasts (and things similar to them)

    There is no way in hell this is going to be a game many people would like to play. Chances are slim that the damn thing will ever reach a playable state. It's a project I'm working on mainly for myself. But, just in case I will manage to create something...

    The problem is, I really start to feel like this project is my baby now. I would never hide the fact that I'm heavily influenced by other people's content, but I just can't put a label saying "Dwarf Fortress" on it. More like "Inspired by Dwarf Fortress".

    I know that people have made many videogames borrowing stuff from DF. But how much borrowing is stealing?..

    submitted by /u/AmbFlowwr
    [link] [comments]

    Camel !!FUN!!

    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 06:38 PM PST

    Was playing some adventure mode on the current release. Made a nice human outsider with the sole purpose of killing all evil in the world, named Greenkiller. I spawn at a nice human fortress and set out to find some fighting since Greenkiller lives for training. I find a small herd of camels. Now, fighting with animals is kinda dumb and dangerous, but this guy was a demi-god. I kill two camels with ease and my man is pleased with his training. I decide a little more wouldn't hurt, so I find another. I think my mistake was thinking that I could wrestle it. Is biting and latching two different attacks essentially? The reason I ask, is because the camel I was beating up did try and bite me, got deflected by my iron helm, but... still latched on. This perplexed me, as I had deflected the attack. It then proceeded to shake my head once(MARK 1 TIME) and snap my neck. I dropped my weapons, crawled away and suffocated. Ironic, since I was trying to choke the camel out. This guy was demi-god human with good starting stats, and I suspect the camel just got lucky. Guess wrestling is not so good with big animals.

    submitted by /u/Smoof47
    [link] [comments]

    My fortress had a fun ending with the Vomitman...

    Posted: 05 Mar 2020 01:55 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment