• Breaking News

    Monday, March 30, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 05:11 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    BF - Exclusionary

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 03:46 PM PDT

    Help with 'castle town' fortress design

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 10:02 AM PDT

    Hey all, I have just gotten back into the game after putting it down for maybe 2 years. I've gotten a bit of a handle on some of the basics again, and I'm looking to reroll a more interesting fortress design, since my current one is totally devoid of iron ores. (I know it's rare, but I dug large grids on every Z from sedimentary stone till about 40 Z down and have yet to find anything metal besides nickel)

    I was thinking I want to build a sort of walled town where I can do surface farming, pasture my animals, and build a legendary dining hall, with a secondary tunnel to caverns for monster slayers - and then the secure delvings for citizens only.

    I primarily want to know if this will mess up my work flow. I would also be interested in hearing any experiences you all might have with similar layouts in your own forts.

    Thanks all

    submitted by /u/ddwk21
    [link] [comments]

    Found an interesting artifact in the hands of the Goblins.

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 12:09 PM PDT

    Putting the Finishing Touches on a Bedroom Design

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 03:17 AM PDT

    Worst squirrel ever! I laughed so much I cried

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 05:23 AM PDT

    getting started

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    I just downloaded dwarf fortress. The only problem is i am having trouble learning it. Is there any thing I should use to help me learn. Thank you.

    submitted by /u/helpmeugandians
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf Makes Armor out of Fire (Meph)

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 12:19 PM PDT

    "Pump" "Operator"

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 12:54 AM PDT

    I feel very proud

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 03:14 AM PDT

    After my first fortress succumbed to a loyalty cascade during the attack of a hill titan, and my second to an unexpected cave spider, I decided to actually invest in a decent military for my third fort. (But really, the military menu scares me)

    And it paid off very well.

    The first goblin siege unfortunately (fortunately?) arrived just before the web-shooting hill titan 'Mame Hairypacks the Heliotrope Summer' came. And I feckin killed them all. I did. I'm so bloody happy.

    I guess I was lucky that my first siege was in year 3, but that's irrelevant

    I'll admit that the goblins were not particularly effective, but they did bruise the brain of my legendary axedwarf, so there's that. But Mame Hairypacks got bitten to death by marksdwarf Olin Skinnyconstructs (after being injured by my military, obviously).

    Olin now has her own 'personal palace' because biting a titan in the brain is a pretty incredible feat. So, yeah, this is the first time my defenses against invaders have actually resulted in no citizen deaths at all.

    The only downside was that the migrants arrived at the same time, resulting in some serious trauma, but they're all fine otherwise. I suspect that there's a necromancer tower somewhere nearby though.

    This probably isn't very impressive for all you old dorfs, but I just wanted to share it :]

    submitted by /u/Nightbreezekitty
    [link] [comments]

    "Skullsletters" The Large Elf Bone Helmet

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 06:01 PM PDT

    Trying to get back in the tile-game doing some cages.

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 12:58 PM PDT

    I think he's dead

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 08:31 PM PDT

    If there's one thing this quarantine situation has taught me...

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 06:25 PM PDT

    It's that I need to build a bigger hospital.

    submitted by /u/MoreDetonation
    [link] [comments]

    When a books name not only implies its content, but its physical usage too!

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 12:56 PM PDT

    holy fu-

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 01:47 PM PDT

    The Decentralized Fortress

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 01:43 PM PDT

    My goal has long been to create a fortress consisting of two geographically distinct "towns". I'm a little rusty at the moment and wanted to hear some thoughts on the idea and convince myself to get back into DF

    The majority of the fortress would be deep under a water cavern, where gravity fed plumbing would allow dwarves to live a life of sub-terrain luxury, with bathhouses, a library, artifact museum, waterfalls (if this new computer feels like it), any few features since I last played, and, of course, drink. An outpost would be located on the surface where dwarves would host outsiders in a legendary drink hall w/ inn, and tend to surface crops and pasture animals. I guess I might also need a deep outpost with lava workshops to smelt the wears of my empire.

    The idea is that I'm a rather bad player, so when an invasion killed me many years ago, I began wondering, "Why doesn't this happen in real life?" and the answer is decentralization. Turns out, its also a great logistical challenge.
    I'm allowing myself quantum storage, and DFHack for an accelerated startup (because I always have second thoughts in the early stages).

    Does anyone have experience with this challenge? Can you pasture animals underground so long as the ground is fertile?

    submitted by /u/Imosa1
    [link] [comments]

    Help Me Please

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 03:37 AM PDT

    I really want to play this game, but i can't. I watched thousend of guide, but when i get into game, i can't understand what should i do. Help me please, what i need to do when i create new world and when i embark.

    submitted by /u/FireStrip
    [link] [comments]

    The Mighty Gosling.

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 07:57 PM PDT

    This happened 3ish weeks ago. I'm sorry I don't have the actual battle records, I accidentally deleted the save without thinking when I updated to the new version.

    First real attempt at a fortress. Happily going through the process of figuring out how to keep the dwarves alive. Suddenly, the screen pauses and cuts to the top of the map. A Weremoose child! I panic slightly and then decide I totally got this. I put a rock door at the entrance of my main entrance/staircase! Nothing can get through that (Note: I have learned this is not true). Thinking quickly, I make my first burrow. I think I get it right. Everyone to the tavern! I lock the door.

    5 seconds later the Weremoose child goes through the door like it was paper (To be fair, first fortress, unsure if completely ineffective or if I didn't lock it correctly) and heads down the central staircase. A fight ensues. I send my single squad of untrained dwarves after it. Dwarves are falling left and right on the stairs, usually with a crushed skull or torn in half. I despair. My first real attempt only made it half a year!

    Suddenly, the fighting ceases. The dust settles... I look to see who survived. Bodies everywhere, but I notice a lone little gosling wandering away from the battle site. Odd, I thought. I poured through records to try to figure out how the Weremoose child perished. Who saved our fortress??

    Sure enough, our little gosling wandered into the room, saw the battle and said "No one else dies today" In a low gruff hero voice and waltzed into the fray. After pages and pages of the Weremoose child being mostly uninjured and reaping so much death our heroic gosling bit it on the toe, slaying it.

    Thank you, brave gosling. I think I shall dub thee Ryan.

    And that, ladies and gentlemen, is the true origin of actor Ryan Gosling.

    I then proceeded to make it to Winter where all of the water froze and I lost half of my remaining dwarves to thirst, but that's another story.

    Fun fact: It took me a full day before I verified that the gosling actually slew it. I knew that the gosling had the final attack on it but no records whatsoever showed that the Weremoose actually died (Though it's corpse was a clear indication) It wasn't till the day after when someone told me "You have DFhack. just type "Deathcause" (Also, now the only command in dfhack that I know how to use)". I've since switched to vanilla for 47.04.

    Fun after story: A year later I had "Father of Weremoose child. Weremoose adult". He started caving in skulls with a woolen shoe. Fun times. I then proceeded to enclose my 3 surviving squad members from that one in their own above ground mausoleums (Their spines were broken and they lost the ability to walk) because I didn't want to take the chance on them being infected and laying in my hospital (Which...I hadn't built yet anyway). I knew that they would be there forever, regenerating each month when they turned. Yep. They totally all died. I murdered three uninfected suffering dwarves.

    Double funny fact. Somehow a visiting dwarven bard got himself trapped in the mausoleum with 2 of the dwarves that died. Fact I learned: Visiting bards are apparently immortals that never starve to death. He just hung out for almost a year. Just relaxing and randomly "Going to meetings" (Who the hell with I'll never know).

    And that was my first fortress.

    *Edit: I am bad at reddit formatting. Totally meant to have a somewhat larger distance between the end of the story and the rest of the post.

    submitted by /u/Rashernvideo
    [link] [comments]

    I need some help with making a world

    Posted: 30 Mar 2020 03:02 AM PDT

    What settings should I pick for the most "fun"? I would like more dragons and monsters, zombies wouldn't hurt either. I'm also open to any new ideas or suggestions.

    submitted by /u/mrpigerz
    [link] [comments]

    Digging too deep in world gen and overpowered goblin civs

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    I've noticed in the various worlds I've generated in the 47.xx updates that goblins (and especially their demon overlords) tend to win every war and battle in a landslide.

    The alliance feature was meant to combat this, but does anyone else feel that it isn't good enough?

    I think the problem is that when a dwarf civ unleashes the circus, all those demons join the world, making the goblin armies nearly unbeatable. I've seen battles with thousands of humans, dwarves, and even elves (as useless as they may be, their animals are helpful at least...) get destroyed by a small "goblin" army consisting of mainly demons.

    IMO the balance is a bit too far in that direction, but it could just be me. I don't have a problem with how strong demons are, just that hundreds of them get released into the world when the dwarves dig too deep. I think maybe it should be limited to the overlord of the goblin civ?

    There's also the issue with necromancers ruling the world, but I actually like that since zombie apocalypses are fun (and seem to be rare enough to be fairly easily avoided if you don't like them. That is, unless you generate an old world, seems that necromancers tend to always win in the end...

    Anyway, I'd like to hear y'alls thoughts on this.

    submitted by /u/justaguy3
    [link] [comments]

    Waaaaa... Rawr!!!

    Posted: 29 Mar 2020 08:18 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment