• Breaking News

    Monday, March 2, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 04:10 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Berstigil, "Earthenjaws" - my current embark. Taking advantage of a meeting of two rivers I'm able to exert great control over the area. I'm currently under siege to the east, and still have access to the western bank for timber (for charcoal, for steel, for FUN!).

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 07:39 PM PST

    Today in Dwarf Fortress... A Completely Unremarkable Human.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 09:01 AM PST

    Checking in with a strange mood dwarf....dude's got some problems

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 10:36 AM PST

    Legends mode is so anticlimactic

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 01:32 PM PST

    Had a ~400 year old Pumpkin devil. She was a humanoid marmot with pumpkin hair and an exposed rib cage. She rose up a slade from the underworld, built an evil fortress, went back to the underworld to tame horrible creatures like cave dragons, and after a few hundred years her civilization of goblins had almost completely wiped out every other race.

    They waged a massive battle against the elves, outnumbering them 10 to 1 by the thousands.

    But the Pumpkin Devil's army was defeated. How? She was slain by a "gigantic panda"

    submitted by /u/drwankbanana
    [link] [comments]

    I need help figuring out how to make a golem-like creature mod.

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 08:33 AM PST

    I've been working on it for hours - I've never modded Dwarf Fortress before, and it's easy, but bewilderingly complicated, and very annoying how there's no way to make an interaction transform an item into a creature.

    The concept is for a race of golem-like beings, where each limb is separately crafted first, then they are stuck together to make a body; then a magical "heart" is installed which makes them an intelligent creature. The goal is to have a civilization of them - they don't breed, but they can build one another and reproduce that way. So far I can't figure out how to even make them build one another.

    The best concept I've got is an absurd workaround involving treating the heart as actually being a full intelligent being itself which is summoned by a spell, and then somehow using the body to cast a transformation syndrome on the heart... but the idea was that each body part would actually be incorporated, decorations and all, into the final body. Is this simply impossible?

    submitted by /u/EmergencyGuava2
    [link] [comments]

    Future of the Fortress 1 March 2020: "Ha ha, MAJOR_CURSE occurs 13 times in the code, and was the first usage hint added. MAJOR_BLESSING does not occur. Poor dwarves."

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 10:12 PM PST

    My companion pets the dragon during battle!

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 11:27 PM PST

    Cannot interact with books, need help! [Ver 0.44.12]

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 05:10 AM PST

    I repelled some goblins and they happened to be carrying a bunch of books. While most of them were looted like everything else and sent to my library, 5 of them remain outside. I can forbid them, but the parenthesis that signify forbidden items don't show up, and i cannot dump them. They appear red in my stocks screen. I'm not sure if this matters but they all have either forgotten beast or bogeymen leather as their materials, and are the only books to have this.. How can I move them to my bookcases?

    submitted by /u/ByronTheWalrusXVII
    [link] [comments]

    The first written work I've seen with great prose

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 09:39 PM PST

    Rigothur, Dwarven Fortress of Craftedbowel. Another flavor of circlemoats nestled atop a waterfall betwixt two rivers. (Bonus ElkBird!)

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 12:02 PM PST

    A classic. I knew embarking on a heavily forested area wouldn't end well.

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 10:54 PM PST

    The Bay 12 Games Report, March 1st, 2020

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 03:35 PM PST

    The tale of Septimbaloch Deathhammers, and how adventure party necromancers are absolutely broken

    Posted: 02 Mar 2020 02:09 AM PST

    So basically I created a badass dwarf warrior with an epic steel battle axe for Adventure mode once. Gave him a really edgy badass sounding name: Septimbaloch Deathhammers the Slayer of Lords. Things were going pretty well. I got him to be a necromancer, and racked up over 200 kills in less than a year. Suddenly I decide it's a good idea to go adventuring with a few companions. Big mistake. I get into an engagement with a pretty sizeable goblin patrol, about one to two dozen gobs in it. No biggie, I think. I've killed off patrols twice this size single-handedly before. I play as my necromancer, and at first, it goes very well. I'm decapitating gobs left and right, and they're about to flee. But then I take a look at recent announcements, and see that my two companions are absolutely having their asses kicked. So I decide to switch to their side of the battle, see if I can save them myself. After all, I put a whopping 5 minutes of work into each. Wouldn't want that to got to waste. A word to the wise if you haven't found out yet, never, and I mean never leave a necromancer adventurer AI-controlled when your party is in mid-battle. All of a sudden, Septimbaloch thinks it's a great idea to start raising Intelligent undead to help him. Now there's two issues with that: firstly, at least in the version I'm playing, undead you raise will always be hostile to Anyone who isn't you, even if they're intelligent undead; secondly, Intelligent undead will keep their hostilities they had in life, so if you killed them, they will attack you. So basically, I now had to deal with the stragglers of the goblin group AND half a dozen "grim ghouls", and the only truly effective fighter I had left was my necromancer, who, in the time I hadn't been playing as him, had suddenly started to get his ass kicked too, by his own grim ghouls. I barely managed to stumble out of there with my three heavily injured adventurers, though Septimbaloch had maxed out recuperation, so he recovered relatively quickly. Which didn't matter much, because he drowned during a botched river crossing a few days later.

    submitted by /u/EnJaMboi
    [link] [comments]

    Interesting start to my adventure

    Posted: 01 Mar 2020 01:57 PM PST

    I created a dwarf in my retired fort. I thought I'd roam the wilderness and build my skill and reputation. On the second morning, as I was bringing back a few kills to the fortress, I was intercepted by a forgotten beast. I thought I'd have to start over but wanted to play it out. After inspecting the beast, a giant newt with three tails, I started dodging to gauge my opponent. The attack pattern was 5-7 attacks for the beast for one attack from me. I was glad to have put many points in dodge. The newt killed four dwarves (2 bystanders and my companions) and then focused on me. Being a fan of swordsdwarves I started by slashing at the opening the beast offered, which was mostly legs. My hopes to slash a leg or foot didn't pan out. Then it offered up upper body and lower body. After puncturing two lungs it started offering the head. It eventually bled out without hitting me once. I got lucky but glad I boosted my dodge.

    submitted by /u/SpathaIlluminus
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment