• Breaking News

    Friday, February 28, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:07 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 04:07 PM PST

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    [Kruggsmash] Peacefulhome: A Hermit Fortress

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 03:05 AM PST

    Thoughts from having a Necromancer fort in 47.03

    Posted: 28 Feb 2020 09:26 AM PST

    My current fort (Lettershocks) was not intended to be a necromancer fort when I started out as that was not my intention. However somewhere along the way either a book was brought to the fortress or it was bought from a caravan, I am not 100% sure where it came from. Long story short that shortly after I built a library I started to get the little pink Ñ's. So now most of the fort is necromancers and I have had some interesting interactions. I have listed them below and will add to them if I find other things along the way. I am curious about anyone else's experiences with this type of fort in the new versions?

    1. After my first siege 2 of my guys were stuck outside and were killed. The army raised them as they were in sight of the fort walls. However the raised dead are not hostile to anything. So they do not attack invaders or traders or my non necro forts. They also do nothing but mill around outside.

    2. The family of the dead dwarves from what I can gather seam to give no care to thier loved ones walking around outside.. They along with the others do not get terrified of them either.

    3. The raised corpses do not retain their names in the unit list and are listed under Others as Dwarf death corpse with a Friendly tag. The dead dwarvs however are listed in the Dead/Missing tab as their name along with mutilated corpse.

    4. The dwarves who are raised this way will still haunt your fortress but it seams odd with how... The two guys that died and then were raised did not produce ghosts until the seige was lifted and even then only one of them did. Not sure if this is just timing or something else. Requires some !SCIENCE! Also they do not show up as not memorialized in the engrave screen until they come back as a ghost.

    submitted by /u/Treahblade
    [link] [comments]

    Scathingly sarcastic response from a villager after I announce I slayed a local bandit leader. So ungrateful.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 09:07 PM PST

    Man's Best Siege Defense. We couldn't have gotten the gates closed without you, pups.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 02:40 PM PST

    DFHack 0.47.03-beta1 released!

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 08:42 PM PST

    Girlfriend created a world, made an adventurer who started in a tomb(???) and was promptly murdered by a mummy. We were surprised to see how old this bastard really was.

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 07:50 PM PST

    85 year old Dwarven child

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 07:18 PM PST

    I have a weretortoise dwarven child that is 85. That's all.

    submitted by /u/Brusch7
    [link] [comments]

    My experiences with raiding

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 03:08 PM PST

    I learned that you can send dorfs out to other places. Since FUN wasn't coming to me other than the occasional forgotten beast or easily vanquished goblin raid, I decided to go seeking some. I am the mountainhome and have no settlements very close by to grow my civ.

    I started by RAIDing some small goblin settlements of about ~10 pop. My dwarves came back with poor loot and no experience. I them sent a squad to RAZE a small goblin village. Some thing; poor loot.

    I then sent 40 steel-clad warriors to a goblin settlement ~30. No problem, I thought, my squads handle goblins with ease. I'll select PILLAGE. My warriors were met with 150 trolls. 6 died and I lost 6 as prisoners. Oops. So, population counts in the Civilizations screen may not be a very accurate way of determining the difficulty of a mission. Pillaging seems like a choice only when you are fairly sure of your target.

    I sent 2 squads after two missing dwarves and 1 squad of disposables to RESCUE one with the goblins, hoping they'd be smart enough to get them all. No dice, none of the 3 rescues worked. The "missing" missions didn't even seem to do anything, the goblin rescue seemed to involve my squad going there and doing nothing.

    So I sent 4 squads to the same place on a RAID... and lost 4 war dogs to trolls and, you guessed it, my old steel-clad dwarves who had joined the goblins. Alas. However on several return RAIDS, the troll population steadily dwindled and I lost no more units. I kept count; the troll numbers never went up. So I whittled them down and in the last raid gained a sizable herd of beak dogs. I am debating what to do with that goblin settlement now.

    However while all this was going on, the goblins didn't come raid ME... seems they were busy at home.

    Next type I tried was I sent out squads to EXPLORE 4 abandoned fortresses. In all 4, nothing at all happened and they brought nothing home. This being DF, it's possible these missions awake a demon horde or something, but at the moment it feels like a reasonably safe way to make dwarves with unhappy thoughts about needing to wander happy.

    Finally, I found a use for my lump of an outpost liason and sent him alone to a distant dwarf fortress with whom I had no contact to DEMAND their surrender. They declined. However the WIKI is correct: the next fall I received a caravan from them. So I sent him off to visit some humans and next summer perhaps I will get two human caravans.

    I have not yet tried tribute or occupation.

    Hopefully some of the above will give people an idea what to expect from missions.

    P.S. An important note: Even 100% cave adapted dwarves did not get unhappy sunlight thoughts when sent on missions, but their cave adaptation was reset.

    submitted by /u/nbrookus
    [link] [comments]

    Apparently necromancers now provide free home delivery after the update

    Posted: 27 Feb 2020 01:49 PM PST

    No comments:

    Post a Comment