• Breaking News

    Friday, January 10, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 04:06 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 04:06 PM PST

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    This Hammer Lord knows what to do when interrupted by a kea. I'm so proud of him.

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 11:29 PM PST

    Day 1 of not knowing what I am doing

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 04:43 AM PST

    So I decided after a long while to give this a go, always be slightly overwhelmed by the UI but I have played Crusader Kings so how hard could it be........ Honest for the first month my dwarves have only just cut down a tree, most of them were cloud watching or something and nothing is getting done..... Month 2 I realized I am running low on food, I have managed to create a farm plot but there is no mud, currently the diet consists of beer and seeds, student diet then for these dwarves..... Found silt in the mountains I have dug into, also made beds this is turning round maybe I could turn this fort into a safe haven for all dwarf kind..... I have created a kitchen butchers and much more, I have found a dog that I am going to kill, as the orcs said in LOTR 'Looks like meat is back on the menu boysss'.... Turns out it was someone's pet, he has gone manic.

    That was my first brutal play through without help, think I might need some guidance on how to play this, I will find a wiki 😅

    submitted by /u/TechnicalPuffin
    [link] [comments]

    My vulcano embark flooded after i unretired my fort

    Posted: 09 Jan 2020 02:18 PM PST

    My friends 3 day fort of badger peril.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 09:42 AM PST

    My friend had a fort going when he was dabbling in dwarf fortress and it was just utterly hysterical. Everything was going great for him despite his lack of experience.

    However, one day, a badger appeared, not dire, just a badger. That badger guarded the entrance to his fort and scared the dwarfs in the fort so badly they couldn't take actions until they inevitably starved to death over the course of many days.

    Don't fuck with badgers, in real life or otherwise.

    submitted by /u/Highdock
    [link] [comments]

    I left my leopard vampire necromancer in charge of a human town filled with lion people and goblins

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 07:38 AM PST

    So, as the title said, I retired my adventurer in a town that had been founded by humans but taken over by an elven civilization. But! For some reason the elves abandoned the town leaving all of the townspeople behind. I noticed that nearly EVERYONE was a lion person, or a hyena person, or a goblin. There were very few humans at all, and the castle was completely empty except for some kobolds in catacombs. Well this was interesting, I thought, so what would happen if I claimed a town where there was no leader? Well, seems it's easy enough to just loudly proclaim that you're the leader and live in the castle.

    I made another adventurer and decided to stop by to see what my leopard guy has been up to in the two week time skip. Now it seems he made himself at home in the castle and even has visiting poets and warriors. Another very interesting thing I noticed is that there were several lionman wrestlers milling about, going in and out of the castle. I decided to invite a few with me only to realize that they're COMPLETELY NAKED! Not just them, but every other lion person in the town too. Okay, my initial thought is that lion people are typically too big for default clothing. I don't recall if anyone else had clothes other than the humans and goblins that were there.

    Anyway, somehow there was an insurrection? At least that's what legends mode said, but my leopardman is still very much in power. I have no idea what's going on. I had a gorlak axeman with me (I brought him from the fortress I started in) and he started fighting the local lion wrestlers!? I have no clue man, none at all. Anyway, I started a fortress nearby to get some real time progression in to see what happens.

    Now, to everyone else, have you ever left an adventurer in charge of a town/fort and retired them? If you did, what happened?

    submitted by /u/brightcat135
    [link] [comments]

    Idiot lazy dwarfs ruined a no-death fort streak.

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 11:58 AM PST

    I have a fort that has been on the longest multi-year no death (no missing) streak that I've ever encountered; it was kinda my fort's thing and word must have been spreading because I've been having tons of dwarf migrants and many traders and careful fort expansion and planning allowed growth (even managing a forgotten beast!) without death!

    Then suddenly on a fine summer day TWO dwarfs showed up on my dead list. What!? After an investigation I realized what happened:

    I had many surplus fine wood tools that I traded with the visiting trade caravan. Included in this trade was some extra stepladders. Instead of transferring the unused stepladders, they grabbed a stepladder being used by two dwarfs who were picking fruit from trees! ...Subsequently stranding them in the tree where they succumbed and died.

    I built a statue there in memorial.

    submitted by /u/BrackAttack
    [link] [comments]

    My drowned dwarves

    Posted: 10 Jan 2020 11:40 AM PST

    (english is not my native language)Im currently playing my first kinda functional fort. I decided to channel a river so that i could have clean water for my dwarves. That went poorly. I didn't know water could pass diagonally, and my basement/wine cellar was flooded. I didn't realize all my dwarves' precious alcohol was there, until one of them went mad. He died soon after. I hatched a rescue plan to get back the wine barrels, and now that whole z level is filled with water. Still i managed to recover a couple barrels.Things got worse when i decided i wanted to build a moat and a raising bridge over the flooded basement. I channeled my fortress entrance, 3 levels down, and whilst two dwarves channeled that, another one was chanelling over them. The cave colapsed, and down fell the miners with the only pickaxe in the fort. I tried to rescue them by making other dwarves dig down, but they didnt have a pickaxe. I tried making the trapped dwarves dig, but they were either unconscious or crippled. I tried flooding the hole with water but same thing. A caravan arrived and i was able to get my dwarves three new pickaxes. By that time the trapped dwarves had died from dehydration. The designation to channel the river was set, and the hole was filled, i dont know how but in this process two other dwarves died, drowned. Now, under my raising bridge lay the bloated corpses of nine beloved dwarfs, and the aquatic ghost of one of them.

    This game is hard.

    TL:DR: Nine dwarves died in the construction of my moat. Their ghosts wander under the bridge, trapped in a watery prison

    submitted by /u/AdlejandroP
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment