• Breaking News

    Saturday, August 21, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress I, uh... I don't know how I feel about this

    Dwarf Fortress I, uh... I don't know how I feel about this


    I, uh... I don't know how I feel about this

    Posted: 21 Aug 2021 11:30 AM PDT

    The Dragon Nuke

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 05:52 PM PDT

    Unfortunately I was a bit too in shock at the time to take any relevant screen shots, but I've recovered enough from the amount of FUN I had letting my war dragon loose on the goblins that were attacking.

    Fort concept: Large, underground buildings with windows that look down onto the 'street' below. Basically channeled down around 4 squares making a building and digging out the rooms on each floor. Bridges between the buildings with a central pillar to the bottom floor. Was trying to use archery and ballista for fortress defense in this playthrough, but of course getting everything and everyone in place is nearly impossible, especially considering your archery dwarves will literally run outside to hit stuff with their crossbows if they are allowed to path outside.

    At some point a dragon appears. I call everyone inside and the thing is rampaging on the surface literally setting fire to everything; there's nothing but ash left on the surface after several ingame months.

    Sometime later a nice goblin siege shows up and I'm thinking 'damn now I have a dragon AND goblins, I won't be able to go outside for the next like... year.' I'm kinda expecting the goblins to more or less insta-kill the dragon by blocking the fire with their shields and hacking it to bits. But they didn't. In an absolutely glorious display of dragonfire and vaporized metal the goblins are cleansed from the surface and turned to ash like everything else.

    I get a really good shitty idea: capture the dragon. Easy enough; dig a trap hall, set up a cage trap at the end, open it up to the outside. Boom, now I have a nice dragon. Initially I planned to have it breath fire from behind fortifications at incoming enemies, but that didn't work. Even after war training the dragon just sat there doing a whole lot of nothing.

    So I get an even better shittier idea: set the dragon free to burn the goblins. Those green bastards already got the jump and slaughtered like 20 dwarves that were out trying to gather wood; there needs to be fiery justice!

    I release the war dragon. And it goes to work! That thing was literally clawing trolls in half with one swing of its claws. Goblins turned to ash in seconds, nothing left but smoke. It was amazing! Like holy hell that worked way better than I thought. Now to go clean up all the poor dwarves who didn't make it inside in time.

    So, unbeknownst to me, war animals will attack wild animals. I notice my dragon running around trying to kill some camels that had wandered into the map. Oh. No big deal- I thought in my naivety. My dwarves are all outside now trying to retrieve the bodies of their fallen family and friends; another camel wanders in and starts making its way down the main entry... As SOON as I think, hey maybe I should tie the dragon back up so it's not running around it spots the camel and lets loose a jet of fire at the camel wandering down the hall FILLED WITH DWARVES. WHERE'S THE LEASH!? It got burnt up in the goblin raid earlier.

    There they go, vaporized. Que the loyalty cascade.

    Now the dragon's aggroed dwarves, the dwarves aggro the dragon. It quickly starts reducing my population by the tens. 160 down to 45 in a matter of moments. I couldn't even get the dwarves to stop panicking enough to do anything. Eventually it runs into the library and I lock it in there. The remaining 40 or so dwarves are now fighting each other and dying of hunger and dehydration from being chased for weeks.

    The writing is on the wall now: the fort is abandoned. Could I have held out for migrants? Probably, but I didn't want to deal with all that.

    Now to make an adventurer and try to find the dragon and use it as a mount lol.

    submitted by /u/brightcat135
    [link] [comments]

    Decided to turn Dîshmab and Ushat's story into a video, work in progress!

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 09:45 PM PDT

    One of the founding members of my fortress just went apeshit

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 09:38 PM PDT

    He started as a fisherdwarf, meaning he mainly sat around and pretended to catch fish and chopped wood occasionally. That was until I built my tavern. All of my other founding dwarves had already carved out their own niches in the fortress, so I figured it was only fair to give old peaceful Olin an excuse to lounge around, and listen to all of the stories from far away.

    And that's exactly how it went for 3 years. I had no reason to keep an eye on him anymore, so for a while I forgot he was even around at all. On the 4th year, he just completely snapped. I saw a combat report pop up and saw he was beating the shit out of a cat, and then three other dwarves scary quick right after it ran away. I was letting the game run for a few seconds waiting for my guard captain to rush in, only to realize he had been killed already. I immediately promoted some poor schmuck to the position, but it didn't matter. Olin and his pickaxe were unstoppable, and the crowd eventually started fighting each other indiscriminately at one point. Several other OG dwarves were killed, including my expedition leader's husband, the fortress trader. ~30 odd dwarves dead (a little more, counting the times a few of them were risen by a necromancer I'd allowed to live here) in all, a good portion of them with legendary skills. The fortress just got real empty, which was good for the migrants that showed up before I could clean everything up.

    submitted by /u/wauve1
    [link] [comments]

    DevLog 20 August 2021: "The next task has been handling occupations, stuff like tavern keepers, performers, priests, scholars, that sort of thing."

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 01:57 PM PDT

    Things are going great!

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 02:29 PM PDT

    She really doesn't like that troglodyte

    Posted: 20 Aug 2021 12:21 PM PDT

    Made a review thingie

    Posted: 19 Aug 2021 09:29 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment