• Breaking News

    Friday, April 9, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 05:09 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 05:08 PM PDT

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Fun with minecarts [OC]

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 02:01 AM PDT

    Finally after many hours of trying - A small world that is still alive at 10k history and not filled with necro towers

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 01:30 AM PDT

    Just a scholarly figure I took a liking to. Did all of her research in a very difficult, turbulent place. Wished for immortality and, in the end (or rather, after it), that wish was granted...

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 02:56 AM PDT

    I can't figure out why they were unhappy...

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 03:09 AM PDT

    Short video on how to "spar" with your companions in adventure mode using tactical mode

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 12:26 PM PDT

    Me: "please give me one mineral i can make tools with this time. we can't keep doing this." The game:

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 02:08 PM PDT

    Dwarf Fortress suddenly crashing

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 05:28 AM PDT

    I'm trying to start a new fortress, but when i configure the things that my dwarves are going to start with, and then i press e to embark, the game suddenly closes. I'm the only one who the game crashes like this?

    submitted by /u/green_beret85
    [link] [comments]

    Counterbalancing civilization ideas

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 10:07 AM PDT

    So I keep reading on the forums here that goblins once ruled the worlds(prior to the undead)

    Elves are useless and don't give good drops as wood sucks.

    So a few ideas to balance long worlds.

    Allow elves to use silver/gold as they do in most mythos the Fey cannot use iron or steel ever. They don't have to mine for it if they can find it on the surface occasionally and could use similar magic that they use to make wood items to talk the rocks into forming arrows and such. Allow them to use poisons. Make elves weak when underground the opposite of a dwarves cave sickness.

    Goblins make them weak above ground and weak to silver/gold but they can use copper and steel or other alloys. Also since they are immortal only allow breeding from adulthood to 200 years old(same for elves maybe).

    Humans most adaptable, no cave or sun sickness, can use all alloys, but limited lifespans.

    Undead very susceptible to fire(hard to do in many cases), will freeze in cold or barely be able to move, decays over time and weakens as well. So for a perfectly healthy corpse who say died of an arrow to the heart would at 10 years have nothing left and for strength start at 150% when first turned adjusting for any damage sustained in life. Drop strength and all attributes in a curve slow at first and then crashing to 0 at the end of their decay.

    Necromancer's should take on the Sith form of apprenticeship a master and apprentice and be hostile to other necromancer's. Hard to rule the world and be the master of death when too many are around. This would put local towers at war with each other. They should also be able to capture vampires under their power or at least be able to sense them.

    Vampires... I think they would be hostile to all necromancer's as a form of undead they would be under their power.

    Kobolds not sure how to make them more robust and interesting as I haven't played around them much but since their caves are well hidden maybe they should always ve in the world somewhere hiding and repopulating in secret caves or possibly underground.

    This wouldn't ve a mod idea so much as maybe a suggestion for the Devs.

    submitted by /u/SIVART_MCDORF
    [link] [comments]

    Game won't start on Linux

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 07:35 AM PDT

    I think I've ironed out all the package dependency wrinkles, but now when I fire up the program I get the following message:

    No protocol specified Display not found and PRINT_MODE not set to TEXT, aborting 

    I've played before on a different Linux machine and I think I did all the installation the same, and it worked then. One obvious way to get the game working is by setting PRINT_MODE to TEXT, but ncurses mode sucks (according to what I pulled up on Google) so I don't want to do that.

    Technical info that might be relevant:

    • Asus laptop, can't tell what make but from a few years back
    • Formerly Windows laptop, was effectively unable to run Windows 10 so I swapped to Debian 10.9.0 today.

    Can someone please help me figure out what's going on and how to fix it?

    [edit: I figured it out. It's because I forgot to switch user back from root after installing packages. I'm a dummy.]

    submitted by /u/ysqys
    [link] [comments]

    Steam Community Update 8 April 2021: "Video Dev Update: A Huge Fortress to Explore"

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 01:17 PM PDT

    Readyboost for dwarf fortress

    Posted: 09 Apr 2021 07:21 AM PDT

    I was looking at how to increase RAM last year to avoid FPS death.

    I haven't done testing for data but have seen an increase.

    I am running a Dell XPS-8700 with 32Gb of Ram.

    I was hitting FPS death early.

    Last year when I found ready boost existed I bought a bunch of 64Gb USB memory sticks. I initially formated them wrong and only got 4GB each so it added 32GB of virtual RAM and I increased my page file size. It got a little better.

    A few months later I found while looking again that I needed to format them to NTFS. I now have a total of 256Gb of virtual ram.

    I have heard mixed reviews on ready boost but I maintain 50-60 FPS with 200+ dwarves on a 100year history with a 4x4 embark.

    I don't know if anyone else has tested this or not but it seemed to help me so I thought I would share. Now wether I need 25Gb or less but I have the slots and memory sticks are cheap.

    4gb max with fat32, 32Gb with NTFS per stick. Just FYI so you don't go buy a terrabite stick lol.

    submitted by /u/SIVART_MCDORF
    [link] [comments]

    Some materials aren't worth the effort

    Posted: 08 Apr 2021 01:56 PM PDT

    To me, I avoid certain materials just because the effort isn't worth the reward. I for example never bother with crystal glass. only very rarely will I even bother with clear glass. What materials do you ignore or avoid?

    What would make them worthwhile?

    submitted by /u/SIVART_MCDORF
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment