• Breaking News

    Wednesday, August 5, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress Dammit! 'Safety Hat', my favourite dwarf, is dead.

    Dwarf Fortress Dammit! 'Safety Hat', my favourite dwarf, is dead.


    Dammit! 'Safety Hat', my favourite dwarf, is dead.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 01:30 AM PDT

    She's followed me for 46 years through 5 forts. Started as a useless forge slave in my first fort in this world, and produced my first artifact - a lead cap, hence the nickname.

    She migrated to every fort since then. She was always single, and had a bad personality but was always doing useful things.

    And how did she die? With honour in battle? Defending a friend? Nope. Cleaning up after a major goblin invasion and she somehow falls into the damn volcano....

    submitted by /u/NZSloth
    [link] [comments]

    Proper use for Goblinite

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 06:10 AM PDT

    You're a goblin on his way to the last major dwarf fort in the world. The last 30 raids (presumably)failed with no survivors, but none of them had YOU with your trusty copper whip!

    As you approach the desert surface is caked in dried blood and vomit, but no bodies or items of any kind other than broken bolts and arrows. Weird, but you have your copper whip and you found your bronze chainmail shirt in the bottom of the dark pit on some dead goblin so you know you have this!

    As the first of your force enters the lonely dwarf tower they are pelted by bolts, but that's fine because they aren't you. As they enter you hear agonizing scream and blood exploding out as they are blended into a pulp small enough for a baby to safely eat,and you realize that most of those weapons seem to be from previous raiders. Bronze, copper, iron and silver weapons and large traps made of the same material. You are scared, but you are you! You're special! You carefully dodge most of the traps although you push a comrade or two in your way to die for your sake, but you and some others make it! Let's go down into that fort and become the greatest goblin in the world! No one will stop your climb of the dark tower after this!

    The staircase down goes forever it seems as streams of blood from the surface goblins trickle past you into the main fort, and opens into a large cavern like room with a high ceiling. A road before you made of silver, and on both sides of the road are countless pillars of iron, bronze, copper, and silver. Between them statues of dwarves laughing, goblins screaming and warriors roaring. You are scared, but you are you!

    Above the pillars perches eagles and owls that stare down at you and on the ceiling is a large chandelier made of iron, bronze, copper and silver. All the melted remains of all 30 previous raids lie before you melted down and used to crush and mock you. Thousands dead, but you are you...right?

    On the other side of the room walks out 30 dwarves clad in steel with artifact weapons that first drew you here in their hands. The baron with a golden mace sought after the world over.

    But you are you so you totally have this right?

    After the deed is done and you are thrown into the trash compactor your whip and shirt are melted down and added to the chandelier.

    submitted by /u/WarriorofArmok
    [link] [comments]

    Accidental Cannibal Dwarves

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 10:43 AM PDT

    Recently introduced to Text Will Be Text, wanted to show off some workshops I made.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 03:31 PM PDT

    Fastest abandon I ever did.

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 03:21 AM PDT

    My lumberjack died while Chopping wood and I guess the tree fell on him?

    And my 2 miners got critical condition unable to work when the cave they were first mining collapsed. Cat was near and died.

    Never had such a bad start ever.

    submitted by /u/TheOneWithALongName
    [link] [comments]

    Streaming the new tiny tower fortress, and it's proving difficult to react fast enough to danger! VOD will be in the comments after the stream is ended :)

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    Should I buy 'Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress'

    Posted: 05 Aug 2020 08:22 AM PDT

    Hopefully I'm not breaking rule 6 with this question but I didn't know how much of a simple question or long discussion this would turn into. I have completely hit a lull with virtually all modern RPGs and games of the sort. They simply leave me feeling hollow. From this I am once again drawn to this rabbit hole of a game that I have never been able to learn properly. I've been looking around for a decent text guide for the game and seen a lot of people reference the wiki saying it's a good source that is clear. However I also stumbled across a book called 'Getting Started with Dwarf Fortress' and it seems to have pretty positive reviews. My concern is however, is this book too out of date to help a complete noob get into the game? It says it is current for the April 2012 release of the game. Will this be too out of date that it will be completely alien to the current build? Thank you for any advice you can give, I would really like to get my hands on some sort of guide in book format.

    submitted by /u/DotKairoy
    [link] [comments]

    Battle Aftermaths and their depressing consequences

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 11:12 PM PDT

    Good evening, tantrum lovers. I've been playing DF for a while, and even though my learning curve has greatly improved, all my melancholic fortress (despite all advancement and z-levels exploration) end up with the same fate: Post Battle Mass Hysteria (or PBMH, for short). Yeah I learned how to use bridges and levers (damn it was hell of a celebration when I FINALLY got the hang of bridges); Yeah I'm (slowly) understanding the military complexity of my peanut-sized dwarf brains; and Yeah I'm starting to notice that armoured dwarves might not die so easily. The thing is, no matter what (and I guess that's just the usual fun!) all the other dwarves of my fortress end up depressed or berserk due to the exposure of the former battlefield. That leads to a slow yet sad decline of my fortress (gold were those times when a children of mine, empowered by inspiration, would craft a legendary god worthy bone helmet). I failed at searching for some answers in the wikis and forums (or maybe I'm just blind), so here I am, kindly asking for some veteran knowledge out of you guys. The question is: what do YOU lads usually do to manage battlefields after battles? Assuming that a considerable amount of dwarfs died in the process, how do you manage so many burials? How to handle those damn ghosts and, the worst of all, how to FUNcking handle all the tantrums and the tears of the survivors?

    -Thanks for your patience, and please don't mind the grammar mistakes, english is my second language anyway-

    submitted by /u/Mjholin
    [link] [comments]

    A good omen

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    My 10-year-old fort: Dabblingbolts

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 07:31 PM PDT

    There's something odd going on with my fortress not sure if it's a bug.

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 03:04 PM PDT

    My fortress went under a big seige, a lot of goblins were killed, and a lot of corpses had to be moved causing a great deal of stress to a few of my dwarves. For some reason, now some of my dwarves keep running away from the main stairwell of my building to escape a conflict? there's no conflict going on. I killed a spy in my fortress a few months prior but that's it, and they arent even really running away from that part. Theyre literally starving themselves to death,

    submitted by /u/ooohFah
    [link] [comments]

    Unusual Civilization Behavior in Custom World

    Posted: 04 Aug 2020 12:36 PM PDT

    [WORLD_GEN]

    \[TITLE:SHADOW OF THE TITAN\] \[CUSTOM\_NAME:The Land of Titans\] \[DIM:257:257\] \[EMBARK\_POINTS:0\] \[END\_YEAR:10000\] \[BEAST\_END\_YEAR:10000:-1\] \[REVEAL\_ALL\_HISTORY:0\] \[CULL\_HISTORICAL\_FIGURES:1\] \[ELEVATION:200:400:800:800\] \[RAINFALL:0:100:400:400\] \[TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400\] \[DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400\] \[VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400\] \[SAVAGERY:0:0:0:0\] \[ELEVATION\_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1\] \[RAIN\_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1\] \[DRAINAGE\_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1\] \[TEMPERATURE\_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1\] \[SAVAGERY\_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1\] \[VOLCANISM\_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1\] \[POLE:NONE\] \[MINERAL\_SCARCITY:100000\] \[MEGABEAST\_CAP:0\] \[SEMIMEGABEAST\_CAP:0\] \[TITAN\_NUMBER:1000\] \[TITAN\_ATTACK\_TRIGGER:0:0:0\] \[DEMON\_NUMBER:0\] \[NIGHT\_TROLL\_NUMBER:0\] \[BOGEYMAN\_NUMBER:0\] \[NIGHTMARE\_NUMBER:0\] \[VAMPIRE\_NUMBER:0\] \[WEREBEAST\_NUMBER:0\] \[WEREBEAST\_ATTACK\_TRIGGER:0:0:0\] \[SECRET\_NUMBER:0\] \[REGIONAL\_INTERACTION\_NUMBER:0\] \[DISTURBANCE\_INTERACTION\_NUMBER:0\] \[EVIL\_CLOUD\_NUMBER:0\] \[EVIL\_RAIN\_NUMBER:0\] \[GENERATE\_DIVINE\_MATERIALS:0\] \[ALLOW\_DIVINATION:0\] \[ALLOW\_DEMONIC\_EXPERIMENTS:0\] \[ALLOW\_NECROMANCER\_EXPERIMENTS:0\] \[ALLOW\_NECROMANCER\_LIEUTENANTS:0\] \[ALLOW\_NECROMANCER\_GHOULS:0\] \[ALLOW\_NECROMANCER\_SUMMONS:0\] \[GOOD\_SQ\_COUNTS:0:0:0\] \[EVIL\_SQ\_COUNTS:0:0:0\] \[PEAK\_NUMBER\_MIN:0\] \[PARTIAL\_OCEAN\_EDGE\_MIN:0\] \[COMPLETE\_OCEAN\_EDGE\_MIN:0\] \[VOLCANO\_MIN:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0\] \[REGION\_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0\] \[EROSION\_CYCLE\_COUNT:0\] \[RIVER\_MINS:0:0\] \[PERIODICALLY\_ERODE\_EXTREMES:0\] \[OROGRAPHIC\_PRECIPITATION:1\] \[SUBREGION\_MAX:5000\] \[CAVERN\_LAYER\_COUNT:3\] \[CAVERN\_LAYER\_OPENNESS\_MIN:0\] \[CAVERN\_LAYER\_OPENNESS\_MAX:100\] \[CAVERN\_LAYER\_PASSAGE\_DENSITY\_MIN:0\] \[CAVERN\_LAYER\_PASSAGE\_DENSITY\_MAX:100\] \[CAVERN\_LAYER\_WATER\_MIN:0\] \[CAVERN\_LAYER\_WATER\_MAX:100\] \[HAVE\_BOTTOM\_LAYER\_1:1\] \[HAVE\_BOTTOM\_LAYER\_2:1\] \[LEVELS\_ABOVE\_GROUND:15\] \[LEVELS\_ABOVE\_LAYER\_1:5\] \[LEVELS\_ABOVE\_LAYER\_2:1\] \[LEVELS\_ABOVE\_LAYER\_3:1\] \[LEVELS\_ABOVE\_LAYER\_4:1\] \[LEVELS\_ABOVE\_LAYER\_5:2\] \[LEVELS\_AT\_BOTTOM:1\] \[CAVE\_MIN\_SIZE:1\] \[CAVE\_MAX\_SIZE:1\] \[MOUNTAIN\_CAVE\_MIN:0\] \[NON\_MOUNTAIN\_CAVE\_MIN:0\] \[ALL\_CAVES\_VISIBLE:0\] \[SHOW\_EMBARK\_TUNNEL:0\] \[TOTAL\_CIV\_NUMBER:1\] \[TOTAL\_CIV\_POPULATION:0\] \[SITE\_CAP:0\] \[PLAYABLE\_CIVILIZATION\_REQUIRED:1\] \[ELEVATION\_RANGES:0:0:0\] \[RAIN\_RANGES:0:0:0\] \[DRAINAGE\_RANGES:0:0:0\] \[SAVAGERY\_RANGES:0:0:0\] \[VOLCANISM\_RANGES:0:0:0\] 

    (TLDR at the bottom if you don't want to read my life story.)

    I've never played the game, but I saw some gameplay footage of Shadow of the Colossus and immediately fell in love with the game's vast, peaceful, empty, and lonely atmosphere. It inspired me to create a world similar to what I saw in the videos: a calm and mostly empty region save for some ruins and numerous giant beasts to slay. Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately, if analyzing unusual behavior is your thing), the lone civilization I placed in the world didn't quite behave the way I expected.

    I want to call to attention the following world tokens:

    \[TOTAL\_CIV\_NUMBER:1\] \[TOTAL\_CIV\_POPULATION:0\] \[SITE\_CAP:0\] \[PLAYABLE\_CIVILIZATION\_REQUIRED:1\] 

    What I was hoping to achieve with these parameters was meet the bare minimum requirement for an adventurer-mode world and go no further than that. A lone dwarf fortress gets placed in the world, is unable to repopulate or create more sites, dies off in 170 years or so, and becomes a ruin for an outsider adventurer to start in. That was the plan, and it didn't work. Here's what actually happened.

    Sometimes, the fortress would become a ruin without spawning any more sites, but what usually ends up happening is that the fortress will spawn a fort or two before eventually dying out. These forts don't appear to obey the civilization's rules for sites and population maximums. They don't die out naturally, and are capable of sticking around forever as long as they don't turn into titan fodder, which also never seems to happen.

    The fort exception to the site and population caps are interesting, but that's not what bugs me. What's really bothering me is how goblins somehow find their way into this world without dark fortresses ever existing. The first time I witnessed them was when I first created a world with these parameters. I watched the worldgen work its magic and turn the dwarf fortress into a ruin without ever spawning in any more sites. I thought my plan had worked, but then I noticed that The Age of Myth had stuck around. If all sentient life had been wiped from the world, then the world should have passed into The Age of Emptiness. I got curious, created an outsider adventurer, and spawned at the fortress ruin. After dispatching the forgotten beast that I was unlucky enough to spawn next to (it killed two of my war doggos and critically wounded a third; RIP) I made my way to the fortress entrance and found a bunch of goblin nobles wandering around minding their own business like they owned the place. The fortress showed the typical signs of being a ruin: spiderwebs, a forgotten beast wandering around, etc, and yet the goblins were still using the fortress like it was business as usual. They were pleasant people to talk to; they showed no signs of violence whatsoever. Even so, the question remains as to why the hell they exist in this world.

    I created a few more test worlds after witnessing this phenomenon. Sometimes, the fortress would become inhabited by goblins during worldgen without ever becoming a ruin. When this happens, it tends to spawn more forts while also rarely spawning a monastery. I found that even if the fortress becomes a goblin fortress, I'm still not able to select goblins in adventurer-mode. I'm guessing this has something to do with goblin 'civilizations' never officially existing in the world, but I'm not completely sure. I am, however, able to select dwarves whenever a dwarven fort is spawned. This has the fun little feature of allowing me to play as a soldier instead of the typical fortress guard.

    I guess it's nice having a limited pool of rumors, companions, and gear to pull from when going on an epic titan-slaying adventure, but it kind of ruined the loneliness aesthetic I was going for. Try out the parameters for yourself and tell me how it goes.

    TLDR: World consisting of only one dwarven civilization will spawn goblins. Exact cause is unknown.

    submitted by /u/RadioTroop
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment