• Breaking News

    Monday, June 22, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    So, a visiting scholar just turned into a weretortoise, grabbed a book from the shelf and went to sit and read it next to one of my necromancers who is pondering embriological development

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 06:53 AM PDT

    Winter was Coming and I Didn't Listen.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 12:52 AM PDT

    Elf Fortress!? (A Really Interesting Worldgen Story)

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 10:41 PM PDT

    So I recently started a new world, and gave it a good long time to generate, 1050 years on a medium world. Surprisingly the place wasn't totally overrun by the undead like I've heard is a common problem with long world gen post villains update, and I started a new fort only to find that my first non-scripted migrant wave consisted entirely of elves, and according to the civilization viewer pretty much all the notable figures in the Soaring Shield are elves, up to and including our king Enina Amenalebeyu, who has a frankly epic backstory.

    Looking in legends viewer, and things get it turns out this civilization is like 90% elves. That apparently came from very early world gen, where the dwarves got into a war with a rival elven civilization and conquered a bunch of their sites, only for a goblin civ to come in, open a second front and sweep away most of the dwarves under the banner of their invincible leader, Thrathnu Atacsestah the Barbarity of Betrayal, a fire breathing lizard devil who lead the sack of the dwarven capital of Okabmoldath and personally slew more than 30 dwarves, including the former dwarven Queen Zuntîr Korbalad.

    Enina at the time was a soldier in the army of his hometown with a wife and newborn daughter in one of the recently incorporated elven forest retreats. When the forces of the Lesion of Hexing came, Enina lead the defense against forces commanded by Thrathnu himself Despite fighting valiantly, he was ultimately captured and made a prisoner of the vile forces of darkness, his wife dead by Thrathnu's hands. He would later make a daring escape from the Lesion's prisons, and eventually settled in an unassuming hillocks far from the front of the war.

    Over the next few years the goblins advanced further into the Shield's territory, and Thrathnu's army once again attacked Enina's home. The defense was lead by Enina, and once again he fought valiantly, even confronting Thrathnu during the battle. While he was no match for the demon, Enina managed to escape mostly unscathed. He and his surviving daughter would later migrate to the new dwarven capital Zonvakist, which was attacked by the forces of the Lesion again a few years down the line, and for the third time Enina lead the defense against the goblins. This time the Lesion (this army being lead by some random gobbo rather than the demon overlord) was repelled, which represented a turning point in the Hateful Conflict, with no further ground being lost for the duration of the war. Decades down the line when the dwarven King Datan Akmamrinul died of old age with no heir, the crown ended up being awarded to Enina, who remains in power to the present. His old nemesis Thrathnu remains at large but none of the conflicts between the Lesion of Hexing and the Soaring Shield have been decisive.

    I've never seen this kind of bizzaro demographic situation where a different race becomes the clear majority in a civ. While most of the Soaring Shield's citizen's are elves, they generally (at least going off of the migrants) appear to have assimilated into dwarven culture and have dwarven values, and probably are using steel weapons, which they presumably used to steamroll the remnants of the elven civ they originated from and bring the elf to dwarf ratio in the Soaring Shield up to the 95%-5% breakdown of the present. It's really astounding sometimes what the world generator comes up with.

    submitted by /u/InfinityArch
    [link] [comments]

    Strasp Sagus, The Planets of Dawn

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 01:11 PM PDT

    That's my girl!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 07:52 AM PDT

    In my latest fortress game an Alligator managed to get itself killed by a carp while hunting.

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 05:46 AM PDT

    I 3D printed my Dwarf Fortress world, again!

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 02:19 PM PDT

    I've started playing a *little,* Wondering if I Should Try to Go All™️ The™️ Way™️

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 06:29 AM PDT

    Hey, title says it all: I've already played a little bit, and now I'm wondering if I should start REALLY playing DF to help occupy the massive amount of time that quarantine has thrown onto me.

    I started playing after watching a few guides (Kruggsmash's crash course in particular was 10/10 perfect, very helpful), I've played for about 8 hours, and (after 2 retries because of unforeseen aquifers) I've got a decent small fort, and I feel like I'm at a crossroads:

    I'm pretty sure that if I play a significant amount more, I'll get really into this, but I'm also not sure if I'll ever be able to learn some of the later concepts (stuff like sieges and millitary in particular is VERY intimidating for me right now), and I really want to avoid spending 30-50 hours on this game, only to realize that I'm too simple-minded to understand anything past the early game. Hence, I'm wondering if this is a fool's errand, and if I should just quit now, while I'm still having fun.

    If I had to quantify this into a single question, it would be: Do you think that the mid and/or late game concepts and strategies are advanced/complicated to the point of being frustrating? I don't mind learning obtuse strategies (I managed to get about 50-100 hrs of fun out of C:DDA), but if it takes ten tries for me to even realize what I'm doing wrong in the first place, AND it takes me 15-20 hours per fortress to get there, only to fail for completely unknown reasons, then I'd honestly rather not even try at that point. I know the whole Losing Is Fun™️ thing exists, but I only have fun losing if I at least have some idea of what I'm doing wrong, or, failing that, if I did anything wrong to begin with.

    Don't get me wrong, I love that kind of game, where all your strategies and tactics are ultimately up to the whims of fate, but at least in RimWorld I can be pretty sure that I lost because Randy Random dropped a mechanoid poison ship inside my compound of 7 untrained tribals. It's less fun if I didn't realize that was happening and suddenly go up to the surface to find a poisoned corpse pile, you know what I mean?

    Sorry if this is kind of rambling or vague, I don't post a lot and I'm not very good at concisely getting my point across.

    submitted by /u/fujypujpuj
    [link] [comments]

    Trust no-one, not even yourself

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 02:21 PM PDT

    Streaming for some hours come ask questions if you are learning :) i am happy to help!

    Posted: 22 Jun 2020 05:31 AM PDT

    DF thingy

    Posted: 21 Jun 2020 12:55 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment