• Breaking News

    Monday, April 13, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 05:09 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The only remaining photo of CraftBoulders; My most ambitious fort to date. RIP

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 08:16 PM PDT

    Urist McRetchers great sacrifice in the year 39

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 05:30 AM PDT

    A very long wagon

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 05:50 AM PDT

    Meet Linegems, a fortress that is located in the caverns deep beneath a mountain in a tundra

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 10:35 AM PDT

    Hey Guys !

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 10:27 AM PDT

    First ever map and it looks vaguely like real life. Think I might see if I can make dwarf Floridians

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 10:22 AM PDT

    Uthgurziril year 6. Now *smooth*. Tour is in the comments!

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 12:25 PM PDT

    The Battle of the Bridge (explanation in comments)

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 06:03 PM PDT

    Ok time to learn this game

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 12:50 PM PDT

    Small question about a siege

    Posted: 13 Apr 2020 12:58 AM PDT

    So my third fortress has been quite successful, but I'm currently under siege by undead I've got I'd say two years of food and drink left and no military the undead already have 220 kills just from the poor poets trying to visit my tavern and I'm curious how long this will last or should I start making a trap hall?

    submitted by /u/KAYOBK
    [link] [comments]

    Holy crap aquifers are hard

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 07:34 PM PDT

    I've been playing DF on and off since 2012, so I thought " hey, I'm quarantined, time to finally see if I can penetrate an aquifer"

    Turns out, no, I can't :P

    I did have lots of !!FUN!! in the attempt though - we were visited by a werefox, and since no stone = no mechanisms, we had no traps or defenses. After the ensuing death and depression spiral resulted in 35 fatalities (and one expedition leader that kicked a wooden screw pump so hard it deconstructed), I reclaimed the fort and kept going. Drilled down 5 layers until I gave up.

    No more aquifers for me, that kind of crap is for elfs and humans. We're building fortresses in the mountains from now on.

    submitted by /u/berrmal64
    [link] [comments]

    just made my hero

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 04:27 PM PDT

    Human merchants are leaving by going down the stairs of my fortress instead of through the side of the map. The carts that were with them did leave through the side. First time seeing this.

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 12:48 PM PDT

    huh

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 01:05 PM PDT

    Winning is boring

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 02:47 PM PDT

    Greetings everyone.

    After years staring at it without ever taking the plunge, I finally decided to put my hands on DF this week!

    First (pleasant) impression : the UI is far from being the horrible mess I was expecting. I did watch a 2h tuto in parallel, and definitely would have saved many more hours with a proper mouse support or at least some blueprint options. But all in one nothing insurmountable.

    Then the magic operated. Designing fluid traps is what always made me willing to play this game, and I must say that I had a blast two days long playing with water then with lava!

    Serious business started with my 4th settlement. "Losing is fun" they say, and I had yet to understand how you can possibly lose in this game (goblins were no real threat, and managing my dwarves was more tedious than difficult).

    So here I go : max beast, max savagery, direction the dark pits with 3 dark fortresses as a neighborhood.

    Almost 3 years later only a single werebeast dared annoy me. Not knowing exactly what you can possibly do with the overmap in this game, I decided to work on my wealth as apparently it's a determinent siege factor.

    Another two and a half year of total boredom later we are the capital, seriously ?

    Where does this "losing is fun" comes from ? Am I supposed to kill my dwarves myself ??

    At this point I would like some veterans to told me in what extent you can influence what's going on on the overmap (or elsewhere, I just don't know where to look at). I did tryed to dig legend in order to understand the situation, but just failed. Are we able to provoke wars ? My whole fortresse is designed to kill, what can I do to test it now ? Should I have dug legend before settling there ?

    This is what makes this game so confusing for many I guess. The depth level is astonishing, but it doesn't seem to impact actual gameplay that much. I spent hours on a save for pretty much nothing, I could have done the same thing in minecraft in a sense.

    I read here and there that the world is full of necromancers, zombies,... but how am I supposed to know where they are ?

    edit :

    Thanks to all of you for the answers (and not all the downvotes, very mature community congrats...).

    I will look forward the most difficult enemies the game has to offered and pass. I had no clues this game was all about roleplaying and stories (to my defense the game is often labeled as one of the most difficult for whatever reason).

    Thans again and have fun.

    submitted by /u/flibulle
    [link] [comments]

    PeridexisErrant Walkthrough Tutorial Chapter.5 Confused...

    Posted: 12 Apr 2020 12:08 PM PDT

    So I was following Peridexis walkthrough as it's my first time with the game, and was having a lot of fun doing so, learning loads as the tutorial went, but suddenly at Chapter 5 I completely lost it, it feels like there is a page missing or something, as it currently talks about things at chapter 5.1 that don't sync up with the stuff we did at chapter 4 or the things we have in the room.

    For example, in 5.1 it refers to having three stairs gown down in the middle of the workshop area, except we have six as was told to make in the earlier chapters, then it shows images about placing stuff in the highlighted area's, but I don't know where those are, or when I was meant to make such area to even put the stairs in

    Does anyone know if I'm being stupid or something?

    The chapter: https://df-walkthrough.readthedocs.io/en/latest/chapters/chap05-industry.html

    submitted by /u/Digitalneko
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment