• Breaking News

    Thursday, March 12, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress Steam :: Dwarf Fortress :: The code work on DF Premium is underway!

    Dwarf Fortress Steam :: Dwarf Fortress :: The code work on DF Premium is underway!


    Steam :: Dwarf Fortress :: The code work on DF Premium is underway!

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 07:25 AM PDT

    [Kruggsmash] Scorchfountain Ep.1

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 03:43 AM PDT

    TIL Dwarves have DND, and just like in real life, nobody wants to be the DM.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 08:32 PM PDT

    So, turns out that artifact floor hatches burn indefinitely.

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 07:46 PM PDT

    DevLog 11 March 2020: " The basic support for multiple differently-sized grids is done."

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 12:53 AM PDT

    We had Tarn Adams on the Literate Gamer Podcast again, this time to talk about Villains and pending steam release

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 08:59 AM PDT

    Personal endgames

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 10:11 AM PDT

    What is your personal endgame in the game? Something that you want to do/thing you already did that makes you say "I already did what I truly wanted in df"?

    Personally, I want to have a fort that copies necromancers book and have keas that steal those books and deliver them to the world, just to know what would happen.

    Also, I'm really curious for other people endgame, so I made this post

    submitted by /u/AlwaysNeophyte
    [link] [comments]

    The size of a Tile in Dwarf Fortress based on creature gaits (creature speed)

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 11:42 AM PDT

    I came across a post trying to determine the size of a Dwarf Fortress world and the poster was assuming the size of a tile to be 3 feet across. So I became curious how large a tile actually is. We can measure this in Dwarf Fortress based on the flow of time and the knowledge of how fast creatures travel as detailed in the raw object files (it lists creatures' speeds using both in-game speed and km/h).

    • In Fortress mode there are 1200 ticks (units of time) in a single day.
    • A dwarf's top speed is 30 km/h.
    • At top speed, a dwarf traverses a tile in 293 ticks, which is 24.4% of an in-game day or 5.86 in-game hours.
    • Going 30 km/h for 5.86 hours to cross a tile means a tile is ~175 km (110 miles) across.

    The flow of time is kind of odd in fortress mode, though, with an in-gmae day being only ~11 irl seconds. Adventure mode is a bit more normal, though, with a single tick being equal to a second.

    • In Adventure mode there are 86400 ticks in a day (aka 1 tick = 1 second).
    • A dwarf's top speed is 30 km/h.
    • At top speed, dwarf traverses a tile in 293 ticks (0.339% of an in-game day or 4 minutes, 53 seconds of in-game time).
    • Going 30 km/h for 4 min, 53 seconds would make a tile ~2.4 km (1.5 miles) across.

    This is still a lot larger than I would expect. So instead of using in-game time, let's use real-life time. The default FPS is 100 FPS, so 100 ticks per second. This is true of both Fortress mode and Adventure mode.

    • A dwarf's top speed is 30 km/h.
    • At top speed, a dwarf traverses a tile in 293 ticks (2.93 real-life seconds at default, capped computational fps).
    • Going 30 km/h for 2.93 seconds to cross a tile means a tile is ~24.3 meters (79.7 feet) across.

    Just a note for anyone following along and doing the math themselves: I'm not getting the distances soley based on the dwarf's speed, I'm performing the same math on all the creatures listed here and averaging them out


    tl;dr - A tile might be 24 meters or 80 feet across.

    submitted by /u/jecowa
    [link] [comments]

    Elves have activated their sleeper agents

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 07:49 AM PDT

    Today I found out that trees could spawn through a floor possibly causing a cave in and killing my dwarves. My only conclusion is that Elves activated sleeper agents among the seeds planted before I embarked. Without roots and with a ceiling overhead it burst through killing both of my miners and my carpenter.

    Going from .34 to .47 is such a huge shift for me, there are a lot of tweaks to "minor details" I am discovering that can lead to fun or FUN!

    submitted by /u/tremblinggigan
    [link] [comments]

    Werehorses have taken over my world.

    Posted: 12 Mar 2020 11:07 AM PDT

    I began this new world with a fortress with a single idea. To create the greatest tavern ever seen in the world. I believe I succeeded. Golden mugs, two z-floors high, waterfalls next to the dance floor, 20 or so rooms all individually carved and engraved, ect. ect.

    And it was grand. I had dozens of guests at any time. Though, the problems started when a poet turned into a werehorse in the middle of my very populated tavern. Dozens were attacked before I could send my militia in. I thought I had isolated the problem, but the next month, three werehorse, more bites.

    Well, I decided to just play out the FUN. Each month more and more dwarves and guests became and were infected by werehorses. Finally, I pulled the plug on it when I was down to 30 or so children and 5 dwarves left.

    Now, the next fortress was going well. No grand goal for this one, just a solid, strong fortress. It was also going well, until I got one particular migrant wave. Half of them were werehorses. I suck at managing werebeast infections, so that fort did not last long.

    NEXT FORT. same as the last. First migrant wave, all werehorses.

    My theory is that so many guests were infected at my tavern, that they spread the disease throughout the world very quickly. I had a LOT of guests of every race.

    Now I know why I fear the night.

    submitted by /u/jamesja12
    [link] [comments]

    Praise to the Ccoders! there's a -0.47.04 compatible DFHack build- (experimental build)

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 06:44 PM PDT

    Have trees always prevented ice? Just noticed ice not forming under trees in 47.03

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 01:31 PM PDT

    Outrage this is a unknown thought!

    Posted: 11 Mar 2020 05:05 PM PDT

    No comments:

    Post a Comment