• Breaking News

    Saturday, March 21, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress Gladiator tournament with MS paint illustrations. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.

    Dwarf Fortress Gladiator tournament with MS paint illustrations. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.


    Gladiator tournament with MS paint illustrations. All craftdwarfship is of the highest quality.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 07:38 AM PDT

    Vettlingr Tileset now supports 47.04!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 04:23 PM PDT

    "I know none of you can fire a crossbow, but I need you to make 3. Oh, btw your not allowed to export them"

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 09:30 PM PDT

    Preview Win64 0.47.04 Pack "Vettlingr Returns" Edition (DFhack, TWBT, updated Therapist, full Soundsense, Vettlingr 1.3.1b.)

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 12:20 AM PDT

    My biggest immersion killer for this game: the dwarves always end up losing.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 06:21 AM PDT

    So with the way that the procedural world generation works, the attacking party in a siege ALWAYS wins. It just happens to be so that the goblins are far more agressive than any other species and as such will always end up eradicating the other species. The whole thing that civilizations wage war against each other whilst you're playing was an amazing addition to the game, but as it turns out, it's useless until fixed, and it'll probably take at least a year before this gets attention. It would've been better even to just have a random factor deciding who wins, not having the assailant win everytime... thoughts?

    submitted by /u/SoldatCertifie
    [link] [comments]

    You and me both, brother

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 03:36 PM PDT

    Question about years

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 04:27 AM PDT

    Is a longer time better for creating a new world? I'm.making a new world right now (The Dimensions of Propechy, oooh) and I was wondering if I should wait it out or just embark. I've got a really low powered 2-in-1 so its taking forever. I'm currently at year 250 and there are over 655k events.

    submitted by /u/Axeldanzer_too
    [link] [comments]

    O n e potter went insane, and apparently that's enough to cause a loyalty cascade, so everyone was hacking each other and reanimating each other to keep hacking each other into smaller and smaller bits.

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 06:13 PM PDT

    While preparing for an embark I noticed that plump helmet spawn weren't on the seed list.

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 12:18 PM PDT

    Checking the embark list I couldn't find plump helmet spawn or regular plump helmet on it. Apparently the continent/region doesn't have it? What can I do for my food resource?

    submitted by /u/Tablenarue
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf Fortress on Steam through Kitfox Games

    Posted: 21 Mar 2020 10:21 AM PDT

    I noticed DF on steam - supposedly being published by Kitfox Games, is this an authorized association? I don't want anyone unfairly benefiting from Toady's work. Thanks!

    https://store.steampowered.com/app/975370/Dwarf_Fortress/

    submitted by /u/SearchAtlantis
    [link] [comments]

    I decided to make a write-up of my playstyle!

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 04:19 PM PDT

    tl;dr at bottom

    Hey there! I figured it would be a good idea to post my general playstyle for the sake of both getting critiqued and introducing people to a different way of playing. I'm quite entrenched in how I play, although as of late I have "upgraded" two of my core principles. There's five main aspects to how I make my forts:

    World gen

    All forts start with world gen, of course! While some of you might just hit "create new world" and move the sliders, I almost always use an unhealthy dose of advanced world gen to custom tailor a world to whatever my idea is.

    Most of my param sets are pretty custom and can vary a lot, but I do have a few constant features in most worlds.

    1. Underground. underground is pretty static except in how many ores I want. I always reduce caverns to 1, make the world a bit deeper (advanced world gen worlds are quite short by default), and make the cavern have water and be open.
    2. Beasts. I normally turn megabeasts (and titans) completely off. Sure, it makes it boring when a dragon doesn't show, but the darn things always kill off my civs if I use them in any decent amount. Semimegabeasts can get around this for the most part, but aren't really worth adding because of how weak they are.
    3. Modding. entity_default is almost an extension of the parameters for me. I frequently tweak civs to kill them off faster, make them nonexistent, or give them necromancers. Sometimes I'll toss in a few tweaks to dwarves: adding longswords is one of the few "cheats" I let myself use some of the time, though I still generally don't do it.
    4. Terrain. I'll typically go either very flat or flat with a massive cliff, the latter of which is more rare because it's annoying to do on top of other things I want.

    Pretty much everything else is subject to change; civs and biomes are the most affected by my tweaking, since that's most of what makes an embark unique to me.

    Construction & Defense

    I've had three major eras of fort design, but my defenses have remained a similar design for a long while.

    1. The boring phase. After figuring out the best fort design imo, I just spammed it for every single fort, sometimes with a bit more neatness than others. Each floor was just an empty space with the central staircase in the middle and bedrooms/misc rooms (like dining, temples, barracks, y'know) on the edges. Workshops and stockpiles fit safely in the middle, everything was nearby to everything else, forts were easily designed, and it just worked. Boring as bloody heck, though. Definitely the longest phase of how I made forts, it lasted about a year of real life time.
    2. Messy phase. I got bored with being boring, and started just building what needed to be made when I needed it and where I could, but still generally avoiding the big open spaces near my central staircase to not descend back into the same fort every game.
    3. Grid phase. I'm just starting to try making all my forts on a neat 3x3 grid (I've been close to 3x3 grids during the boring phase, but never consistently used spacers between each 3x3 "tile"), but generally do whatever works in terms of design. I get to keep neat design while still breaking up the monotony and making my forts feel unique.

    One of the quirks I've had the longest is that I basically don't use stockpiles for anything other than raw goods and food, and even then I dubiously use them for raw materials. Sure, I occasionally have workshop clutter, but it keeps me from overproducing and lets my miners not dig out a few giant stockpile floors.

    As for defenses, I'm still sort of in the boring phase: I know what works, and that's what I use. Zig-zag path with drawbridge floors; dig a big pit under it, slaughter everything over the bridges, retract them, and unleash lava into the pit. If I've got no magma access, I'll just make the zig-zag corridor out of atom smashers so I can crush everything in the room at my whim. I don't normally abuse these systems for slaughtering sieges or whatever, I generally prefer to send in soldiers even though the defenses can work without. I just can't live without automatic cleanup.

    Farming

    My food industry has been different for a long while as well. I've literally never used fishing in almost two years of play, and generally just farm for everything I need and avoid cooking. For a few months I have become a bit more involved in processing and cooking (thanks to a challenge fort that I coincidentally just didn't have any plump helmets in the entire world), and I've occasionally brought turkey and/or peafowl for my animal industry, but otherwise don't do too much with the meat industry either, unless I kill something and get to butcher it.

    Labors

    Compared to most overseers, I appear to have OCD when it comes to labor management, but also just don't use some. Aside from the obvious things like pottery and beekeeping, I don't use Jewelry, Animal training, Fishing, Hunting, or Siege Mechanics. I've been trying to use jewelers a bit more recently, and have plans for animal training this fort as well, but hunters and siege engines have always seemed somewhat useless; both can be replaced with marksdwarves, or generally just melee soldiers running up and beating the tar out of something.

    My most recent major change is that I now group all my laborers into three castes, not counting soldiers. A side effect of this is that I've lost many of my old dual labors, such as "Jack" who used to be a general carpenter, craftsdwarf, and farmhand for the less job-intensive farming duties like soapmaking. Can't really have somebody like that anymore, as they would fit into multiple categories. It's helped standardize my sub-jobs more consistently from fort to fort, which pleases me.

    Artisans do all skilled labor, simple as that. Anything that can be a masterwork (other than cooking)? Congrats, Artisan. Also, growers, because those are important in a fort that relies entirely off farming.

    Peasants are the second caste, and predictably do the gruntwork. They're the smelters, farmer's assistants, and miners that do all the dirty, unskilled labor. Miners are important, but easy to train, so I classify them as peasants. Most peasants have quite a few jobs: smelters are wood burners, smelters, and strand extractors, while farmhands do basically everything outside of the actual growing of crops: brewing, plant processing, milling, soapmaking, y'know.

    Nobles are the final caste, and do all the fancy scholarly stuff like medical practice, record keeping, trade, and performances. Note that actual nobles need not be of the noble caste; I've had many a baron just be stuck into the military like normal.

    Every dwarf gets a caste and a job upon migration (set through profession renaming), and then gets the appropriate labors turned on via Therapist. If I've got extras, I'll just re-labor them Peasant until I remember that I need a few new smelters or whatever.

    Military

    I'm a pretty military heavy player, and my army's order reflects that. Squads don't exist until I have arms and armor for them (most of the time, sometimes I have no feasible metal for armor and just make do with weapons and shields). I use marksdwarves very little, and have only recently begun using them at all after being fed up with their lack of training for a while.

    All soldiers get profession names based off their weapon, squad number, and squad position for easy identification in combat. For example, a swordsdwarf in the third squad I've made and in the 4th position is named Sword 3'4.

    All squads are squads of 8 or squads of 4 upon founding (If I use squads of 4 in a fort, I won't have any squads of 8 and vice versa); though I don't replace any losses so old squads may be missing a few members or, if the fort is particularly violent, be nearly wiped out.

    Typically, around half of my populace will be full-time soldiers, which makes metalworking consequently a big industry.

    Misc

    Lastly, there is to note one more thing: all of my forts are small by general standards. I started playing on a craptop, but am now addicted to those sweet frames, so I'm not pleased with forts much larger than 64 dwarves, a satisfying base 2 number for making rooms nicely. The smallest I've done had 16 cap, and 48 is another popular pick for me since it' just under mayor size.

    And then... that's it! That's how I play this game. Comments, concerns, questions, and suggestions appreciated, I always like to see what everybody else is doing!

    tl;dr

    I use big, ordered militaries; heavily order labor into scholarly labor, skilled labor, and peasant labor; make my forts based off a 3x3 grid; get all my food from farming; use a lot of advanced world gen; keep my pop cap low; and always make an auto-siege-cleanup machine.

    submitted by /u/NordicNooob
    [link] [comments]

    [Stream] Grei's Gaming -- Dwarf Fortress "Chainedglazed"

    Posted: 20 Mar 2020 05:58 PM PDT

    The surface is overrun by undead dwarves and the caverns are collecting Forgotten Beasts. Can the dwarves of Chainedglazed survive these threats and regain control? http://twitch.tv/grei\_darkjester

    submitted by /u/Grei13
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment