• Breaking News

    Friday, February 14, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 04:07 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 04:07 PM PST

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Tonight I'm going to a gig because of Dwarf Fortress

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 04:27 AM PST

    About 8 or 9 years ago I downloaded the Soundsense mod, and the large music pack that comes as an optional extra.

    In that pack there are some copyrighted songs, including Village of Dwarves by Rhapsody of Fire (it plays during World generation)

    That introduced me to the band, and I'm super excited that tonight I'm going to a gig in the 20-year anniversary tour for the album that song was released on.

    It's funny what effect small things can have.

    submitted by /u/InvisiblePhil
    [link] [comments]

    Completely unexpected. Absolutely intriguing.

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 04:25 PM PST

    oh yeah, about this adventure thing...

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:44 AM PST

    Age of the Hydra, Nevermind, It's Now The Age of the Hydra and Dragon, Wait Its Hydra Again, Oh Armok What Have I Begun.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 08:40 AM PST

    I wanted to make a necromancer adventuring group, so I sent them to a tower with one outsider human. I made it so I can have a dragon as a pet, but this dragon right when we spawned in at the necromancer tower attacked my cat, my war peragin falcon, and everyone. I had my main adventure, a cheetah woman from a dwarven hillocks attack the dragon since everyone else ran away.

    Raila Auraclaws scratched the dragon's upper body

    I did this action multiple times till I attacked it with my spear causing heavy bleeding. The spear got stuck in the dragon, and I had only a shield left and my claws.

    The dragon countn't land a single hit, Raila kept attacking till my only surviving pet, the female cat River Song was melted by dragon fire. I believe in grief Raila began to hit the dragon in the head with her shield before strangling the dragon to death.

    A Drawing of the Event

    After the battle was over, I picked up the bodies (planning to resurrect them later) then a necromancer revived the dragon that was in my inventory and I strangled it to death again cause it tore off the Black Mamba Womans arms and killed them.

    The worst part was, NONE OF THE BOOKS IN THE TOWER HELD THE SECRETS OF LIFE AND DEATH. So I butchered the dragon and tried to talk with the necromancer.

    The necromancer didn't even attack us, I think they thought we were sad about only the dragons death, when we were mourning the cat River (who's body was burned), the cat Midnight, the War Peragin Falcon, the War Wolf, and the Hunting Dog Athena.

    This was a very friendly necromancer, which surprised me. They didn't trust Raila, but then again she killed a tamed dragon that went on a rampage.

    Appearantly this caused a war between Raila's civilization and the tower.

    So I caused this peaceful necromancer tower to go to war because the human outsider's pet dragon decided to try burn our group.

    On another note the era changed multiple times in one day. It went from the Age of the Hydra to The age of the Hydra and Dragon, back to the Age of the Hydra, then to The age of the Hydra and Dragon, then back to The Age of Hydra.

    This was the most hilarious, stressful, and tearful moment I have had playing this game. I am never adjusting pet values ever again.

    submitted by /u/timecats
    [link] [comments]

    The best thing about new update

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 06:52 AM PST

    It's not new undead. It's not necromancer migrants. Not intrigue, not party in adventure mode, not any of the changes that were made.

    The best thing is that none of the programs I always run with DF work. I forgot how much fun umodded game without utilities is. How beautyful vanilla look is. And music. I lost my spark to play but now it's reignited just because of that.

    submitted by /u/UnDebs
    [link] [comments]

    Training my dwarves

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 05:10 AM PST

    Too many goddamn towers in this world.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 07:58 AM PST

    Invasion *Gone Wrong* no but srsly take your maces next time, mace lords.

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 09:20 AM PST

    Happy Dwarfs ☺

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:52 AM PST

    Hi! Getting back in after a 2 year hiatus on this game and had a few questions:

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 11:45 AM PST

    I used to love this game, just paused after I got a bit tired of it. I have great memories with it and the community, including getting into the finals of the yearly arena championships with Korg the Minotaur, completing various challenges in adventure mode, etc. a few questions:

    1) how is the modding community? What are some interesting mods I should check out, big or small, and where is the best place to find mods? I know there was a sort of total overhaul mod that added Orcs and stuff but I never tried it, and now forgot its name;

    2) how is Armok Vision (or any other 3D rendering mod) doing these days;

    and finally, a bit of a cliche question so I don't really need an answer, but 3) what are the largest changes that i should be aware of? I heard something about sending adventurers out to gather artifacts but I don't remember much else. Thanks !

    submitted by /u/narwhalstoot
    [link] [comments]

    [47.02] Necromorph Addon for Horror Pack

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 05:24 AM PST

    Hey guys, I released a Necromorph addon for my Horror mod pack - requires files from the horror pack itself in order to work. Main body of it are two invader factions - one are simply labelled Necromorphs and consist of most of the mobile, humanoid necromorphs from across the Dead Space series, along with a few concept art variants (I say humanoid since in DF's world they'd probably be made from non-human sentients as well); the other are called Alien Necromorphs, and aside from having the Alien Brutes and Crawlers from DS3 as well as the Stalker and Pack variants from DS3: Awakened, also have many variants based on early necromorph concept art (as a friend put it, a lot of them do not look like they were people at any point - so there's some plausible deniability about them being actual alien specimens that somehow made their way into the world and were infected, or escaped, infected specimens brought by Aliens or Grays). Basically the regular Necromorphs are slightly more varied in functioning overall, whereas the Alien Necromorphs are more brute force-oriented.

    There are also wild necromorphs, mostly the immobile variants like Guardians, but also some of the small non-humanoid ones like Swarmers - most of these are found underground, though the Snow Beast is found rarely in savage arctic regions instead. Lastly there's a couple of megabeast variants, such as the Hive Mind, the Leviathan, the Nexus or the mobile game boss (called the "Monstrosity" here).

    No markers yet until I can figure out a decent gimmick for them - was considering simply a full-map range reanimation without a line of sight restriction that turns corpses into various necromorph types, and a stress ability with a similar unlimited range, but I figured that'd be too dickish.

    Anyway, took way too long to come out with these - hope those of you who use my horror pack enjoy it.

    submitted by /u/DMaximus5
    [link] [comments]

    Nice

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 06:07 AM PST

    Silking spiders!

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:14 AM PST

    Starting up my first ever Dwarf fortress world. Man does this thing take forever to load!

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 05:23 PM PST

    suicidal tendencies

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 09:13 AM PST

    Major Adventurecraft Update: Magic Stuff

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 08:45 PM PST

    This is something I've been meaning to tinker around with for a while, and with the new functions added to interactions I decided to take a stab at it for myself.

    Magic as I've implemented it is very rare, and narrow in scope. There are 10 different spells that can end up being learned via worldgen, each having 3 spheres they can be learned from. There are a few other ways to access them of course, and for adventurers the most prominent is hunting megabeasts and semimegabeasts. The idea that each biological beast is associated with a specific craftable potion is already a standard in the mod, so the idea is fairly simple for players to figure out. To further hint at things, megabeasts will occasionally be credited with inspiring slabs in worldgen, a fun thing I discovered a long time (if the spheres line up, as in vanilla secrets and megabeasts don't have sphere overlap) that I'm glad can still happen.

    The earlier update I made for 44.02, giving animalman tribes access to regional forces, also plays into this. This means that Resurfaced will occasionally pick up the relevant nature-themed secret, as will elves. Of course, normally elves don't care about secrets since immortality is the only valid motivation to pursue a secret. Of course, there's an easy solution to that. Even with an absurdly high value so their population isn't badly affected (1500-1700, ten times what dwarves and kobolds live to be) they'll still want more. Applied the same change to goblins, since I've already found they grow in population just fine while needing to eat and drink.

    As for what spells there are, they come in 5 opposing pairs, where learning one prevents learning its counterpart. Each pair has a thematic connection, like healing magic versus inflicting a plague, or two different approaches to wielding nature-based magic. One particular form of otherworldly-knowledge-themed magic is especially fun, demon summoning. Of course, I contemplated having it drop an actual demon, even though it'd turn on the user just as readily. But because I added some rather harsh downsides to hinder spamming, I decided I wanted it to attack everything but the caster.

    My solution to this? Adding raw-defined demons, with castes that split them up into "hostile demons that might spawn with generated ones" and "version that doesn't naturally spawn" with tokens rigged to function right when summoned, rigged so that the spell will summon the version that works as desired. Of course, they aren't just a mishmash of critters mimicking generated demons. They're recreations of the three most classic demons, from before DF2010. And far from just being plain mockups of how the originals behaved, each has some feature to distinguish themselves. The equivalent to spirits of fire are less likely to fall apart when struck while still immolating anything that does injure them, the frog demon's counterpart's bites and tonguelashing can spread the same plague blight mages use, and the counterpart to tentacle demons freely multiattack with tentacles that menace with a corrosive neurotoxin.

    submitted by /u/Chaosvolt
    [link] [comments]

    And this is THE END of my little fortress. :(

    Posted: 14 Feb 2020 10:11 AM PST

    Unknowingly embarked on kobold lair

    Posted: 13 Feb 2020 05:30 PM PST

    Unknowingly embarked on kobold lair

    I unknowingly embarked on a kobold lair and while moving two dwarves into the cave entrance all of their spiders came to our wagon to join us. I have never seen anything like this and thought I'd share.

    https://preview.redd.it/e9qdd9xbjsg41.png?width=766&format=png&auto=webp&s=e5fa6c1c17abee9d18807f8034aa45ad72987f06

    submitted by /u/frutebruit
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment