• Breaking News

    Sunday, October 20, 2019

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 05:06 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Can a Fortress Save the World? - Tonefell in the year 253

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 05:37 AM PDT

    Can a Fortress Save the World? - Tonefell in the year 253

    These are the records of Tholtig Lancecover. I write these lines with the fear of being discovered by my cruel masters at any time.

    Before the beginning of the era and long before the time of the Bronze Colossus and Plain Titan, the demon Inte Itchsucker the Bloated Spurt of Ghosts rose from the underworld. He connected the underworld with the mortal world and laid the foundation for the great nation of goblins called The Fly of Plunges. Shortly thereafter, the wars began: Dwarves and elves suffered bloody defeats. After more than 100 years of war, the dwarf empire The Torch of Tones finally lost its two great fortresses: First Bridgedauthors and then one year later Gildpainted. This happened some years after the death of the last dwarf king, during a massacre full of bloodshed and violence.

    Soon a rumor spread: a monster as terrible as it was deadly nestled in Gildpainted.

    The remaining living dwarves in the surrounding region fell victim to the evil culture of the goblins and perished. They are driven by murder, betrayal, and treachery. Offering themselves to their new masters. Unfortunately, there are hardly any comrades left who dare to oppose the regime.

    In the War of Danger, the surviving human beings fight against the last free tribes of the elves.

    Truly a dark time, but there is still hope. An axe dwarf named Damsto Arstrukaruz set off east one morning to reconquer the old fortress of Gildpainted. She was not fearing the forgotten monster, in her heart, she cried out against the laws of the goblins. Perhaps she was not a beauty with her round nose, thick lips and sail ears but strong and tough. Moreover, she knew how to handle her axe better than any human or goblin. Her long greasy hair blew in the wind as she wandered against the cold breeze to herald a new dwarf age.

    A painting of Damsto Arstrukaruz in the year 248

    For a long time no one heard from her after she asked for help in an nearby tavern. Friends and people she knows laughed at her or were too afraid to join her.

    According to stories she reached the old abandoned dwarf fortress half thirsty. Gold treasures and artefacts awaited her in the cold vaults. She descended further and further into the depths to search for the infesting monster. During her search she passed old dormitories and magma forges whose fires had been extinguished for several years. Finally, she got lost on the great underground dwarf roads that linked the fortresses. When she found the entrance after days without water and climbed back towards the surface, she saw a light flickering in a large chamber. Proud and fearless, she entered the chamber. On her right, old beautifully forged weapons lay next to some empty cages. And in the corner of the room a great fire was burning. Curiously she stepped towards the fire. And when she realized that it was alive, a great beam of flame struck her. At the last second she could hide behind her iron shield. She had found the beast: It was four-legged flames with two tails spreading poison.

    https://i.redd.it/i1cc3d5kxot31.jpg

    Truly how could a being fight such a thing? But here she stood and it was her destiny. Without hesitation and wrapped in hot flames she jumped aside to avoid another attack of the monster. She attacked back and struck with her silver axe, trying to hit something firm, but the flames were fickle and fast. So they fought for hours. She rolled to the side, dodged pillars of fire and fended off poisonous fumes with her iron shield. When her strength was almost exhausted, she gathered all her remaining energy in one bundled blow. She hit something solid, the boisterously torn in the smouldering, oppressive smoke. Three flames remained of the monster. Three flames that will give new hope to our civilization!

    I don't know how this story reached the dwarfhillocs, but she has never been seen again. I'm not sure if the old dwarf fortress is really safe nowadays or if she died trying. But I think we should put together an expedition of brave hearts to restore it. And if we die in the attempt, then we die as free dwarves.

    PS: Thank's to u/cathikater for the awesome sketches. :-)

    submitted by /u/pk2you
    [link] [comments]

    Vettlingr stable version 1.3 - Most comprehensive Geology visualisation of any Dwarf Fortress Tileset yet. Let's take tilesets and DF to the next level!

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 11:42 AM PDT

    I have my civilization's entire nobility as guests at my fortress

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 09:43 AM PDT

    So, I generated a world where dwares went extinct and started as an overpowered raccoon man. After clearing out the ruined dwarven fortresses and ushering in the age of heroes I retired my adventurer and: started my current fort, retired it, reclaimed the two ancient dwarven fortresses, retiring each, then I relocated my adventurer to my first fortress and started playing.

    After about half a year one of my dwarves became queen, as I wanted. However, ever since then, a handful of barons and counts, as well as general, diplomat and outpost liaison hang around at my fortress. The hillocks they supposedly rule over are abandoned and I noticed no new ones spawned ('XXX to the north looks towards your thriving economy' or something like that).

    Also, despite the outpost liaison being at my fortress at all times I get the message that there is none when the dwarven caravan arrives.

    They all had a terrible drowning accident last year but their replacements arrived just a few days later.

    Any idea what I can do? It doesn't bother me that they hang around the fortress, the no hillocks dependent on my economy thing is worse.

    submitted by /u/grovestreet4life
    [link] [comments]

    Armok Academy - Tutorial básico de Dwarf Fortress en Español 【Andre jueg...

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 06:35 AM PDT

    When you forgot to bring your crossbow to kill mud beast with 6x larger than dwarf so instead you rush in and do 1vs1 punch-out with him and emerge victorious without any scratches (btw beast killed 4 out of 7 of my dwarfs with 1 hit to the heads and they didn't do any damage whatsoever)

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 04:06 AM PDT

    Strange HUMAN

    Posted: 19 Oct 2019 02:08 PM PDT

    Task management question (food/drink)

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:20 PM PDT

    So I'm trying to automate my food and drink production. I can't figure out how to set up conditions so that the dwarfs will only try and make food or drinks when there are materials available, so i constantly get the alerts that they cancel making drinks due to no leafs, food due to lack of material etc...

    Thanks for the help

    submitted by /u/WRXminion
    [link] [comments]

    [44.12] Sin Factions addon for ZM5's Assorted Creatures Pack

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 12:10 PM PDT

    [Assorted Creatures Pack:Half-Life] So, this appeared in Legends mode with the Half-life ACP active... I don't know what to say.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 03:03 AM PDT

    (Opinion) The Issues With Dwarf Fortress.

    Posted: 20 Oct 2019 10:07 AM PDT

    First, know this: I'm communicating my opinion on an opinionated subreddit (that isn't a bad thing), I thought it would be good to post this for other people who think differently- so they can share their side. Of course, I do like Dwarf Fortress, but I feel there are some issues that need to be addressed- this isn't about the over-talked-about U.I or graphics, it's about the depth of the game in general- or, at some points, lack thereof. Let me explain.

    The worlds feel the same. If I were to go into Dwarf Fortress and talk to whoever (assuming Adventure Mode), they would tell me the same copy-pasted issue with the world with the names being different. (Which some could do that in a batch file) If this were the first time I was playing, I would be fine with what he/she is saying, but immediately after- I create a new world and do the same, I would get the same 'issue'. Army on the march, blah, blah, blah, same ole' same ole. I mean, if Dwarf Fortress is what it was hyped up to be, where is the depth? Even for people like Kruggsmash, they have to essentially, 'make-up' (he calls it head-canon) the story because Dwarf Fortress doesn't have that depth (yet).

    I know it is early, I do understand it, but I don't understand where all the, 'Most detailed world ever' comes into play. I know it, 'simulates' formations of ore and all the other stuff like that, but that isn't giving me depth- I can't tell a story or roleplay with dirt that's in every world. It leads to the conversations, the same ole' "It was inevitable," copy-pasted with every NPC that it gets annoying (maybe that's how it became a meme.) I know Tarn said he was going to make the conversations better, but what is the thing that makes Dwarf Fortress stand out- I can't see it.

    Dwarf Fortress isn't going to tell me about one piece of rock from beginning to end- and how said rock would evolve after a person steps on it. Dwarf Fortress sure as hell isn't going to give me realism or a story (even for Fantasy). It's idiotic: children aren't 'children'- they are as adults- talking the same boring dialogue- or, 'playing make-believe' which is the vaguest thing I've ever typed- come on, Tarn, give me more. That's the thing, though, it isn't Tarn, because he isn't going around over-exaggerating the game like some writers, cough, cough. Still, I just want to know why this game is, 'the greatest simulation of a world ever created' when it spouts vague dances and songs- and the same ole' world generation that just looks different with the same stock creatures with some rare forgotten-beast that is generated kind of differently- but it's nothing to boast about.

    I understand I could just roleplay, but I thought Dwarf Fortress was some story generator- more than a game? Something more? It just feels like a little bit more advanced roguelike.

    Some parts confuse me: if the Dwarven Population goes extinct, why would there be a caravan with Dwarves coming in? It's hard-coded- but it makes no sense for this world! Did I miss something here, or am I mistaken?

    Nothing to really say about combat- I like it, at times. It does seem unique and, to me, should be used for other games. Not much else about that, unless later on, I see a flaw.

    I really like the graphics and U.I, it's not the look that's bad, it's actually the game-play itself- which is ironic for Dwarf Fortress.

    (Edited: One more thing, remember when you 'negotiate' with the elves and they just say the same thing in each world, it just strikes me funny because this happened with Krugg and he had to start making up new things the elves would say during those negotiations- because, it's just... the same? He had to make them say new stuff so the viewers don't have to yawn with each same reply. I think it was in the Monster-killer series, but don't quote me on that. Here is the thing, I don't like that because Dwarf Fortress can't really produce drama, mystery, and the rest without the player literally making it up to keep the kinda stale game a little bit more fresh.)

    Another thing I can't understand is the calendar Tarn added, the names of the months or whatever stay the same. Shouldn't a different world have unique months (their names)?

    I guess I'll stop for now- I do understand it's in Alpha, and to me, it has a long way to go before I can finally say, "It's the greatest simulation of a world ever created." Everything pretty much seems the same for each world, and I wish everything was more unique and have more depth than a puddle. It has a lot of stuff in the puddle, but it isn't deep.

    Maybe in the future Dwarf Fortress will talk about the individual particles and how they were formed (and simulate them), and maybe a world that's beyond our understanding with NPC's that are actually interesting and are different. Who knows, thanks for reading, make sure to tell me what you think, because maybe I'm missing something. Love for you all to prove me wrong, so I can understand what makes Dwarf Fortress even better than I thought.

    submitted by /u/WraithfulWrath
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment