• Breaking News

    Friday, October 18, 2019

    Dwarf Fortress BF - Chapter 3: Enhancement

    Dwarf Fortress BF - Chapter 3: Enhancement


    BF - Chapter 3: Enhancement

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:23 AM PDT

    My first Giant.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 03:57 AM PDT

    I set up my first fortress that I'm actually getting quite proud of. A legendary tavern and dining hall, temples, and a two-level library to boot.
    We have 6 dorfs in the military, 3 Hammerers and 3 Marksdwarfs. Everything is fine.
    Suddenly... we hear it. A bellowing and stomping, as of a huge drum playing in the distance.

    A giant looms over the horizon, it's black hair drooping over it's blue eyes and copper skin.
    To the burrows! Allow the animals inside! Raise the bridge! No, I accidentally made it retractable. Lock the doors!
    The Giant gets some straggling cats, stepping on one so hard it's head pops off and sails through the air in an arc. Hammerers at the ready, marksdorfs behind. It squeezes itself into our entrance hall, a mangled turkey in hand. The traps go off, and we catch it in a cage. This was very unexpected. We had no idea our flimsy mahagony cages would trap such a fearsome beast. Well, hey, waste not want not. We put the cage in our training room, and get a useless fisherdwarf to put in on a chain. Our mayor... our poor, poor, mayor, the captain of the marksdorfs gets too close. He didn't find it necessary to equip himself with bolts. And so, he got close. Too close.
    The Giant, in a rage, ripped our mayors leg off completely. We moved in and hacked it to death.
    Now our mayor hobbles around on a crutch, and my dorfs refuse to pick up the skeletons and corpses of the dead animals. The fisherdorf engraves an image of a giant killing a cat. 'I don't care for art'.
    I love this game.

    submitted by /u/DizzyGrimly
    [link] [comments]

    How My Untrained Lumberjack Killed a Bronze Colossus

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 08:19 AM PDT

    I built a fortress with an entrance buried in the side of a sand dune. It was thriving in most ways, but unfortunately I didn't have the flux stone I needed to make steel. I made due and outfitted my militia with armor of iron, which was fine...Until the Fall of 254, when an animated Bronze Colossus entered the map. I tried to close the gate and trap him outside, happy to leave him to his devices for a few years as a natural defense against goblin sieges...

    Fate decided that would not happen: Urist McLeverPuller, moments away from securing the fortress, decided to give birth instead. Great.

    The colossus was in my entrance hall, and the militia was sent in. With just iron weapons, though, they couldn't damage a creature made of bronze! With no way to harm the invader, I figured it was gg at this point and I drafted the entire fortress for a last-ditch assault.

    So there I am, watching hundreds of dwarves form a nice dogpile, punching a solid metal megabeast while they wait to get converted into red mist...And then I notice the colossus taking damage.

    I'm fucking flabbergasted, and I read several pages of combat reports to find out that a woodcutter had taken a steel battle axe that I didn't even know I had from the body of a dead human killed years ago, and she's the only dwarf out of my population of 150 that can damage the thing.

    And she's fucking slaying!

    This gal lets the ENTIRE FORTRESS be a meatshield for her while she dodges and hacks away at this giant bronze man. In total, 43 brave dwarves gave their lives to take down the legendary creature.

    That dwarf is now the leader of my army. She named the steel battleaxe "Crushed Lances" (they can't all be winners), and the 43 dead dwarves were all interred in a specially built tomb for the heroes of Savage Lantern's most fierce battle yet.

    Strike the earth!

    submitted by /u/Kingmudsy
    [link] [comments]

    Not modded. This has never happened to me before.

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 04:36 PM PDT

    Adventure Mode is such a blast!

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 11:17 AM PDT

    After getting inspired by Kruggsmash' latest Adventure Mode videos, I decided to give it a try again.

    I rolled out a female dwarf hero with reasonable stats and started smack dab in the center of Domasdegel, "Guildgalley", a thriving fortress at the northern end of Strasp Slospu, "The Planet of Omens". So began the short, but successful, adventure of Morul Arrowgranite!

    The fellow in the room next to me had a lot to share about various troubles, but I decided to hone in on the missing treasure; Thundernumbers - a legendary copper crown, which was made right here in Guildgalley by the current broker, Unib Bronzeage. Unib offered it away and after several historical events revolving around the damn thing, it eventually got lost in Fangkeys where it was found by a dirty elf and ultimately given to another elf, one Imimi Riddlewinters in Mothrelieved. What a perfect quest! I would retrieve this crown and I would end Imimi in the process.

    I did some asking around and finally got the directions I needed to make the short trip south to Mothrelieved. I geared up in Guildgalley, grabbed some extra food and began my journey south. But first I stopped at the fortress tavern for a dwarven rum. While sitting at the bar enjoying it, who but Unib Bronzeage strolled past. Just the guy who I was going to want to see when (if) I returned with Thundernumbers. With a population of 349 in a fortress of epic size, it was a blessing that he strolled past. I just had to hope he'd still be up by the tavern when (if) I returned!

    The journey was uneventful with various stops to hillocks and one stop at another fortress where I spent the night at the tavern. I took the time to level up my sneaking skills and even stopped a bit in the forest to climb some trees in anticipation of arriving at Mothrelieved. Finally, after two days I reached my destination where I proceeded to mingle with the locals and do some exploring (mainly looking for Imimi). In the process I found out that Imimi was their local druid. This was helpful and I narrowed my search for the Home Tree.

    After a rainy night up in a tree and several hours of stumbling about, I came across the Home Tree and climbed up to join Imimi and seven other elfs. One glance at Imimi and I saw that the idiot was holding Thundernumbers in his right hand! I had to wipe off the expression of disbelief which was forming on my face! The elfs were all very welcoming and chatty and as evening approached I was given permission to spend the night. I shared a few drinks with them and dozed off early in an open space on the floor next to Imimi and the seven other elfs. I awoke in the middle of the night and stood up. Silence. Everyone was asleep.

    Imimi, never woke. He took a wicked dagger to the head and died on the spot. The seven other elfs, idiots as they are, stirred but also never woke. After grabbing Thundernumbers I snuck past the others and descended down to the ground. I continued to sneak north wards through the night and stopped at a rivers edge to clean up. Cold and wet I started a fire, ate and rested until dawn.

    Two days later I strolled back into Guildgalley on a rainy afternoon. To my surprise, Unib was still in the area around the tavern. I greeted him and immediately handed over the crown. To add to my surprise, he said nothing of interest about it and walked away. Bastard! I ended my little adventure with another dwarven rum and retired on the spot.

    submitted by /u/StuckInOrbit406
    [link] [comments]

    I don't like where this is going

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 02:26 PM PDT

    Maybe being in a world with four Necromancer towers wasn't such a good idea afterall

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 01:28 PM PDT

    Giant kea dropped treasure chest on my fort

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 04:45 PM PDT

    Has this ever happened to any of you? I get messages that some planters were interrupted by giant keas, oh no I thought, zoom to unit doesn't really work from the announcements but I went through the wild animal list and they were mostly at high altitude, none in my fort, but 1 was sitting at ground level at the point it was paused next to my entrance, the tile next too it was a Sprite id never seen, turns out it was a chest full of valuables, crowns gems books artifacts, and none of it appeared to have come from my fort, I unpaused to see what it did and it just flew off leaving the chest, I marked contents dumped and the dorfs trotted it Al downstairs, wierd,

    Do giant birds make schemes, this could be some kind of ruse with a score of giant birds circling (giant keas and lovebirds)

    submitted by /u/anonorgnyxer
    [link] [comments]

    Something Made Plump Helmets Go Extinct in my Menus

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:41 PM PDT

    At least poor Catten was unconscious..

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:14 AM PDT

    Thirty. Three. Days. Of. Dwarf: Day 18 (2019-10-18, 20:00EDT, Extra Life 2019)

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 04:58 PM PDT

    (Now with 100% more use of the correct subreddit!)

    So - what ARE we going to do for our next fortress, now that we've made a glacier work? Maybe a desert and a new tileset to boot, give things a fresh look and demonstrate a mass glass ass trap at the same time?

    ---------------------------------------- !!EVENT NAVIGATION BAR!! ----------------------------------------

    <= Previous Day (Day 17)

    Series Start (Day 1)

    Next Day (Day 19) =>

    Want to get reminders? Sign up to the event for a reminder, or follow me on Twitter @Nirruden!

    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    What in the name of the glowing pits is this about?

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    It is time to return to our roots, and so we shall.

    Thirty. Three. Days. Of. Dwarf.

    Starting on 10/1 and proceeding through the Extra Life 2019 Game Day event on 11/2, I'm going to stream and teach what I know.

    Every. Single. Day.

    ----------------------------------------But why?----------------------------------------

    I like to do things when there's more than one reason to do them:

    • I like to teach, or at least I have in the past.
    • People (crazy people, apparently) like my stream, when I do it.
    • People are always complaining that Dwarf Fortress is hard to learn. (Not really, but let's show it.)
    • It's for charity. I get to collect money for the very same hospital that once helped me as a child.
    • It raises the profile of Dwarf Fortress, a game I regard as a seminal work and personally enjoy.

    ----------------------------------------So how's this going to work?----------------------------------------

    Basically, I'll stream in the evenings most days for an hour or two. On Saturdays and Sundays, we'll generally run a little longer, but I'm going to stream every day if it means I have to get up at 3am to do it. (For the record, we've averaged 3.42 hours per day over the first week!)

    On 11/2, we're going to culminate with a 24-hour long livestream, as part of the Extra Life charity event.

    I don't use Facebook, etc. and people may want to donate to Extra Life 2019, even if they're not supporting my efforts directly. Feel free to share my donations link, or to direct people to the charity's main page.

    ----------------------------------------So what's in it for viewers?----------------------------------------

    Well, aside from helping to support my local children's hospital (good vibes, ho!) I'll be pushing out tutorial game(s) live on stream as part of the event. Your donations are a spur in that direction applied to my backside. You can even attend the event with me, since I'll be broadcasting live on my stream the whole time!

    ...but if that's not enough for you?

    • I'm going to get a callout working for donations so everyone can see your generosity!

    Anonymous or not, if I can make it work, everyone will know you're supporting kids that need it.

    • Donate $10 or more and you may request to have a dwarf named in current and future forts!

    If you're not naming him something awful, it'll even happen. You're welcome to request a trade for the dwarf, if I have one suitable to match it! If we run more than one fort, donator dwarves will show up in all forts after the one where you donated!

    • For $25 or more, you can reserve one of the starting seven instead of a.. <.< >.> ...migrant.

    If none are available, I'll have to use a migrant. (I won't be advising when the window closes. We call this 'Early cat catches the dwarf'. Move fast, some have already been claimed.) As above, if you donate on the first fort of our event, we'll put that same dwarf into the starting seven every fort thereafter!

    • For a donation of $100, I'll let you flip the script for a bit.

    Want me to embark on a reanimating evil biome with a necromancer next door? It's your call. I'll save the current stream fort, and start a new one on the spot with settings as close to your request as I can manage on the fly, and run with it until it dies or I do. If someone else flips the script on you before I finish, you can either donate again to flip if back or wait for their fort to exhaust before I resume yours. Your choice. (We call this one 'Last dwarf gets the sock.')

    • Feeling your oats? If you're willing to drop $500, I'll let you flip the whole table and pick the game I'm playing!

    Some limits on this are required for sanity's sake.

    If you're really thinking you'd like to do this, send me a message and we'll work out the details beforehand! At some point, I'll get back to the stream fort, but for a truly generous donation, I'm 100% willing to give up some time and show off anything you'd like, live and on the spot. You can find a link to my Steam profile (which contains a list of potential games I could probably get set up for streaming) here if you're considering this. (And if it's something we can do multiplayer, we can even try that too, which would be a stream first.)

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Wait....Thirty days of tutorials for Dwarf Fortress as part of a charity drive?

    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    Thirty-three days, actually. It was the wife's idea - she suggested that you folks might like to get a newer version of my original tutorial, and that this might be a good avenue to combine hardcore Dwarf Fortress fanatics, who are already a generous and supporting community, with a charitable cause to support. I didn't have much luck finding a flaw in her reasoning, so I bit the bullet and advertised it at work, too, despite my trepidation regarding drawing personal attention there.

    ---------------------------------------- New and Uncertain Players: ----------------------------------------

    We'll be putting the newest version of the starter pack and Dwarf Fortress through its paces as we (attempt to) start a new tutorial series for v 0.44.12. (Note: If there's an update and it seems relatively bug free, I'll try for the newer version, but I'm aiming this at newer players, so trying to ride the cutting edge isn't really in the cards.)

    Past demonstrations (From v.34 to present) have included glaciers, deserts, sites with necromancer towers adjacent, as well as discussion on how to influence worldgen to get what you want. Our first one will be a more sedate embark, designed and chosen for relatively newer players, and we'll start with worldgen as though we're looking at a fresh install.

    Goal:

    My goal for "Tutorial Night" is to walk new players through an embark using the DF Starter Pack. (Explicit thanks to /u/PeridexisErrant who I admire for his dedication, which is studded with perseverance and ringed with bands of my gratitude! Without his efforts, a tutorial for installing and configuring everything for the game and its add-ons would be a sizable task unto itself. I've devoted multiple-hours of stream to demonstrating it 'the hard way'!)

    Along the way, I'll provide examples of the setup and tools I use to play Dwarf Fortress, as a guidepost for new players.

    What I'm really trying to do is give new players a reference point they can come back to on how to set up a world, embark on a site, and stand a reasonable chance of employing a fairly basic and standard design to build a workable fortress wherever they may need to start one.

    Stream Info:

    The channel rules are simple: Respect Wheaton's Law and you'll be fine. Just don't expect the content of the broadcast to be 100% suitable for children; Sorry, kids. I'm much too low-brow for a guaranteed clean broadcast. Get your parents' permission, etc etc.

    If you have questions you might like answered with a demonstration, and not simply a quick post in the weekly questions thread, I'm your guy. I'll do my best to demonstrate just about anything you can think up - aquifers, megaprojects and magma pistons aside. (Minecarts may get covered, but don't expect anything computational or timer based - I'm a casual player, not a dwarven mechanical engineer.)

    You can view the stream here, as well as on the donations page for Extra Life.

    Later Goals:

    At some point in this fortress, I'll walk players through my 'most commonly used' tools in DFHack and in the utilities that come packaged in the DF Starter Pack and how I use them to construct a simple, basic, and tightly run fortress that can support as many dwarves as my PC can haul, defend itself against all comers, and handle just about anything. I also will demonstrate Quickfort at some point for those who've never taken advantage of it!

    We'll certainly touch on Dwarf Therapist, and discuss how I use it to control the behavior and organization of my ants dwarves, including a demonstration of custom professions in action. Sound will be provided by Soundsense so that you're not listening to me play in silence during any lulls, and the off-topic interaction between the audience and myself tends toward the lively (and often ribald).

    New players, your questions (no matter how 'silly' you may think they are) are 100% welcome, as they're the whole point to the broadcast! Join us and ask them!

    If you can't make it (or are not willing to brave my often vulgar displays of unsuitability) and still have questions you can't seem to figure out, post them in the DF Bi-Weekly Questions Thread for this week and I'll do my best to help you overcome your obstacles, if the expert players haven't gotten there first!

    (Obligatory: Yesss... Join usss... Join the Dark Side... We have cookies!)

    ---------------------------------------- More advanced players: ----------------------------------------

    On that note, experienced players who want to follow along are certainly welcome (and often manage to teach me a thing or two, directly or not) but the main thrust of the stream will be to help new players get over the introductory hump to start playing at a deeper level, so you may find yourself paying less attention to the pace of the stream and more attention to your fellow audience members. I do love having a few veterans show up, though, because my fortress designs always get better when I'm shown a method I've never used!

    ----------------------------------------Parting Words---------------------------------------

    Please don't go. The children need you.

    Please donate if you are able.

    On behalf of Riley and Extra Life: Thank you, in advance, for your generosity!

    ----------------------------------------Progress Readout----------------------------------------

    (Fixed now!)

    1. Day 17 complete, signposts added to Day 18 landing page for prior day.
    2. Day 17 landing page updated to link to series/next day.
    3. Thirty-Three Days of Dwarf: Day 18. Twitch VOD (14 Days)
    4. Day 18 Youtube Upload. Youtube VOD
    submitted by /u/Nameless_Archon
    [link] [comments]

    dragon transport mission

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 12:25 AM PDT

    So, ran in to a bit of a bug. I have managed to capture a breeding pair of dragons, only problem is that I need to transport a cage with the female to my fort. but if I try to fast travel the dragon disappears and I only get an empty cage. normal travel won't work, it would probably take me a day of real-world time to go that far.

    Any suggestions to how i may do it?

    submitted by /u/pinnfolk
    [link] [comments]

    My first Fortress legitimately

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 11:42 PM PDT

    Year 1 of my dwarf fortress

    I Thrain the Second have sent an expedtion to the fortress of Bairdason with my 6 mighty warriors ! Apon first glances the fortress seem abandoned it had nothing but Magma and Metal Forged and all kinds of food and clothes layering around which we quickly organized and soon we becane a thriving fortress but there where a few flaws opon coming here

    firstly we forgot pick axes which we can't mine worth a crap so we have to melt something to make a pickaxe,

    secondly there been a crap ton a cavern monster such as crulders and trolls coming up and raiding my magma forges but they been a pest but Swiftly delt with killing 30 crulders and 3 tells but sadly Zugrol my spear dwarf lost a leg and his is unable to do jack.

    Thirdly I have no wood but saplings growimg and the only source of wood is in the caverns which is dangerous,

    Fourthly we couldn't find the hydra which brought down the fortress previously so hopefully well find it soon before a seige happens

    Finally I forgot to brings seeds so now all I have is fish and meet and water which I have to rely on fish for my main food lol

    submitted by /u/maca2131
    [link] [comments]

    And so it happend

    Posted: 18 Oct 2019 07:31 AM PDT

    And so it happend

    (from Kruggsmash latest video)

    https://i.redd.it/vpk04s108bt31.jpg

    submitted by /u/Yoowhi
    [link] [comments]

    "Go to unit" not zooming in on unit

    Posted: 17 Oct 2019 10:09 PM PDT

    As the title says, I've noticed that my "Go to unit" option from the Unit menu doesn't move the camera. It selects the unit, but leaves the camera focused on the cursor. Has anyone else experienced this?

    submitted by /u/DearDreadful
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment