• Breaking News

    Friday, February 12, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 04:09 PM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 04:08 PM PST

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    The Human Vampire

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 08:19 AM PST

    Tarn Adams Talk, How finished is the Steam Edition? Classic Update and Magic (Feb 2021)

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 10:25 AM PST

    The pride of every Dwarf in Tobul Rath. Luckweather, The Bridge Of Saints.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 04:48 PM PST

    BF - Ringing in the new year

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 11:21 AM PST

    The RNG gods have blessed me

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 04:46 AM PST

    If you embark on a kobold cave then send a dwarf to scout it, their giant cave spiders and other poisonous animals will become yours

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 12:02 PM PST

    The PeridexisErrant Windows Starter Pack has updated to 0.47.05-r01!

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 08:23 PM PST

    I wanted a nice waterfall entrance and ended up with a trap instead.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 09:44 PM PST

    TL;DR: In my efforts to make the most efficient and safe water entrance I made a trap irresistible to goblins and elven bards alike.

    My most recent embark is at the conflux of two rivers, with a 20 z-level drop forming a waterfall. Most of the "outdoor" area is at the top of the cliffs and so typically you're always near a 20 z level drop into a river.

    The dwarves of Gravespears built a bridge passing beneath the waterfall as their entrance, but farmers seemed to periodically be swept to their deaths. In efforts to make the bridge safer, the builders of Gravespears managed to flood the first z level of the fort. The flood was quickly shunted back out through the side of the cliff, forming a second waterfall, (important later). A new entrance bridge was built, but the old entrance remained just within sight, swirling with water. Quickly the dwarves built grates and put up signs around the bridge to keep stupid farmers away from the edges.

    This worked for a time and the only victims of the waterfall seemed to be the occasional traveling bard or scholar. Until the Goblin Siege of 257.

    The siege was large since we were decorating with gold and outfitting our military and our temples with iron. Many dozens of goblins, a dozen trolls, and two dozen beak dogs approached the front bridge. Urist hastily pulled the lever and closed the bridge. As the dwarves of Gravespears waited to see if their defenses would hold, they heard a few screams. At the bottom of the waterfall lay several goblins and a troll amidst the decaying skeletons of elven bards. It seemed that periodically one or two goblins would climb down the cliff into the old fortress entrance, but the random surges of water coming from the waterfall, and around the U bend of the old entrance would push any invaders back out through the bypass I had dug and off the cliff. Completely unintentional water trap.

    Only a few goblins and one troll successfully climbed into the fort entrance. Casualties were light. More casualties were sustained at the citizen rescue ramps at the bottom of the cliff. Out of the probably 30-40 goblins that fell to their deaths, maybe 3 or 4 survived their fall and knew how to swim enough that they were able to stay alive and hang out at the bottom of the waterfall. They started taking pot shots at my haulers on goblinite retrieval. Luckily they formed great target practice for my marksdwarves.

    Right as the summer came and the Gravespears military marched out to drive off the invaders in order to prepare for the dwarven caravan, the cowardly goblins ran off. On their way out they ran into a pack of elven scholars with a tame troll and started a huge fight on the edge of the map. I love this game.

    I have a lot of scholars and priests that come to visit because I have a pretty prolific library and a lot of temples since there have been so many deaths I guess the dwarves are taking comfort in religion and books.

    submitted by /u/anotherguyinaustin
    [link] [comments]

    Looking for some blog post / interview about the dwarf fortress GUI

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 07:45 AM PST

    Hi, I am developing my final year thesis around the topic of game development. Now I am talking about different ways to implement a GUI and, correct me if I am wrong, as far as I know, the one of dwarf fortress has given some problems. First of all, because there are people that did not like how the menus worked (https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/13gvb5/ui/) and secondly because due to the way it was programmed at the beginning it was really complicated to change it. At least that is what I remember I heard, that it was programmed in a way that it was not possible to make mods to change it and to write it again from the ground up would be really tedious. I am looking for forum posts, interviews, blog posts etc. Anything that talks about the way it was programmed at the beginning. Do you know where could I find this information? So far I haven't been lucky to find it by myself.

    Thanks!

    submitted by /u/edoelas
    [link] [comments]

    Well guys wish me luck. Armok himself has sentenced me to death

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 03:07 PM PST

    Dwarf Fortress Region Bank will open soon!

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 12:01 PM PST

    Dwarf Fortress - Refining the Workshop Interface ��

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 12:38 PM PST

    Volcanoes are fun

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 06:47 PM PST

    I'd never built on a volcano start before and decided to give it a try. I'm fairly certain I'm now in possession of the most impenetrable fort I've ever created. The entrance is accessible only by a single spacious walkway that I built within the interior of the volcano, just inside the mouth above the surface of the lava. It's formed by two linked bridges and is flanked on either end by two more bridges. During a siege, I allow a group of invaders to reach the mid point of the walkway, flick a lever, raise the pair of flanking bridges and trap them in the center of the lava.

    Now I know what you're thinking: you have another lever that drops them right into molten magma. Yes, yes I do. But that was too simple. Why not kill two birds with one stone? A few levels above, I carved out some fortifications around the rock face. Now, during sieges, I position a squad of archers there and let them have target practice at the goblins/elves/humans/dwarves now trapped on the bridge.

    This still wasn't enough. Too many were running away. So I created a series of additional drawbridges that could segment the invaders into smaller parties before they even reached the main walkway. I then diverted lava through some pumps into a storage tank. Now when I'm done having fun with target practice with the first batch, I just fill all the segments with lava, one by one. Usually while cackling maniacally.

    And it's now that I'm writing this that I realize, I'M the James Bond villain with a volcano lair.

    Also, nice and easy access to lava makes smelting/crafting so much nicer. Trash disposal is also a cinch, right into the lava in goes.

    I DID make one mistake, however. I left the roof of the volcano open. Too many goblins were perching themselves atop it and shooting downward. Not to mention all the flying beasties that were getting in. I had to spend a good year or two roofing the whole thing over. But yeah, this beats trying to dig through aquifers or messing around with pump stacks and the magma sea by a mile.

    I might try a beach/ocean start next.

    submitted by /u/Stargazer86
    [link] [comments]

    First experience with the game.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 09:08 PM PST

    I began mining out a tunnel for my first 7 dwarves not much happens, until the first settlers move in and bring a HYDRA with them. The hydra killed all of my dwarves but one who locked himself in his room. I'm told by a friend of mine that I got off easy.

    submitted by /u/Lawn_Clippings
    [link] [comments]

    The pinnacle of dwarven cuisine

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 01:29 PM PST

    My first Interesting and deadly Fun!

    Posted: 12 Feb 2021 02:32 AM PST

    My first Interesting and deadly Fun!

    Hello,i was just trading with the caravan when all of a sudden a werebull got announced,I pulled the lever as fast as i could but it still got in,it killed some of my animals, and 2 dwarfs.Luckily the caravans soldiers managed to kill it rather quickly and it happened in a split second!My dwarves hauled the dwarf and werebull corpses into my fortress and ill butcher it immediately!Im still thinking if it infected one of the caravans dwarves or mine...

    Here are the casualties

    https://preview.redd.it/c5b6cod4y0h61.png?width=1044&format=png&auto=webp&s=be849372499a0981f6214f42616cf6bf3a132e08

    submitted by /u/Jelly_bean66
    [link] [comments]

    Siege of Eyecudgels

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 03:35 PM PST

    Came back to dwarf fortress after a year hiatus, and set to generating a world suitable for adventure mode- and got some great results.

    This world was pretty prime, all races present, 80% of the sites on the map including important ones like at least one dark fortress, have a low enough population for FPS to not be a drudge. All sites on one continent, multiple towers. What really caught my eye was the southernmost dwarven civ, mostly hillocks with two fortresses five tiles from one another- one of those fortresses belonging to a very young goblin civilization, which occupied just that fortress. I looked through legends, and it appears that 17 years before worldgen ended, the dwarves of this fortress had dug too deep. A three eyed fiend rose up and committed all sorts of atrocities, murdering the residents, destroying all structures, creating grotesque sculptures of corpses impaled on spikes. Some other weird activity occurred during the various battles, for instance, an elf who appears only in one line of history prior to this event, was assigned blame in legends for destroying hundreds of written works before being murdered by a tick demon. The three eyed fiend committed a series of foul experiments, and then began its conquest outside the fortress by attacking the hillocks to the north, Whipshoot, where in the midst of slaughtering half the town, it was struck down by a nameless dwarf of whom nothing was known. This event immediately ended the bloodiest war in this worlds history, with the goblin civilization immediately suing for peace. In the time between, a dwarf became the leader of the site, and the surrounding hillocks go to trade there, but there are still small clashes between the goblins and the dwarves.

    Enter the beginning of adventure mode: I created a team of 6 psychopathic, emotionless killing machines to raid the fortress, accompanied by a truly insane amount of wardogs. I had them descend the central staircase of the fort, murdering every goblin and every dwarf who'd taken up the occupation of snatcher, and at the very bottom of the stairs, in the underground tunnel connecting the two fortresses, I came upon a group of some of the remaining demons. Tick demons.

    All of my squad are master dodgers, and I figured maybe with my legion of dogs I could swarm them and beat them down. A single tick demon murdered all of my animals, cut the speardwarf in my squad down in one move, and then severed my characters legs and tossed him into a cavern pool. You've been struck down.

    That wasn't the end though: Three of the squad survived, and I immediately unretired the squads marksdwarf and lead him from the site- nabbing back some of the treasure I had stolen. I fast traveled north to whipshoots, with an asterisk pursuing me, and slept traumatized in the drinking mound. Woke up the next day, stretched my limbs, opened the door to greet the new day and was immediately decapitated by a tick demon. Prior to this, the demons had all been milling around the underground, my actions seem to have set them loose with goblin squads across the countryside.

    Un-retired the next member of the squad, who I prudently had escape far, far away to the most remote hillocks in our civilization. Right next to a necromancer tower. An idea occurred to me. I snuck in, and succeeded in stealing the tablet. I then visited a tomb, and proceeded to march on Eyecudgels with a 60 strong army of skeletons.

    This was my first go with necromancy in adventure mode, and it was honestly such a joy watching an actual flood of rotting corpses sweep through the whole of the fortress drowning everything in its path. Five demigod dwarves couldn't take on a single tick demon, but even with its web spam, they were crushed under the bulk of the undead. Sadly, in the ruckus, the one remaining survivor of my squad was also killed- but not to worry, I recovered his corpse as well as the two from the underground. I raised them as pale stalkers and left them in various hillocks- they will not speak, probably because their heads are totally mangled, but upon retiring this character I intend to see if I can't play as them again.

    There are still eight demons wandering the wilds. I plan to hunt down their squads and silence them, and then bring my forces north to raise a tower near the last crop of human tombs- to retire my dwarven lich in safety with his hoard until I feel like marching on the goblin homelands once and for all.

    submitted by /u/horribleflesheater
    [link] [comments]

    My Hunters have some pretty inexhaustible Doggos to Help Them.

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 02:57 PM PST

    Got a Giant Grizzly

    Posted: 11 Feb 2021 12:38 PM PST

    Hello all, recently an elven caravan stopped by and brought my fortress one giant grizzly bear. I immediately war trained it and was about to assign it to my militia commander before I decided I wanted to do something more !FUN¡ with it. Any ideas on a good use for the bear?

    submitted by /u/HumanBeing136
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment