• Breaking News

    Monday, February 1, 2021

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 06:22 AM PST

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    Wow... they really made sure Clowns are inevitable...

    Posted: 01 Feb 2021 09:02 AM PST

    I have been trying to learn how metalcrafting works and just when I finally manage to properly house the ridiculously large migrant waves pushing my population over 40 I get an undead invasion with ALL the !FUN! stuff like a necromancer, corpses of all flavors, hollow ones, and thralls. Luckily I prepared my entrance to be quickly sealable by walling.

    This put my plans behind a LOT because losing access to the safe surface wood AND monster slayers to suppress the cavern's wildlife(I lack the understanding about how to make the militia into patrolling guards and also lack the things to make backpacks and flasks so I can't keep them running for long) I had to dig all the way down to magma which gets difficult with how the caverns love to get in the way.

    Luckily the tunnel of staircases downwards managed to hit wall most of the time although I needed to patch up holes from time to time which was especially annoying because my dwarves also had the extremely annoying OCD to rush out into the cavers trying to collect every corpse ever onto my refuse and corpse stockpiles...

    I finally managed to get down nicely to the magma sea and establish magma smelters and a magma forge so I can start working on arms and armor. Luckily I had a lot of silver so I could make herd hitting warhammers. Unluckily the only other metal I had access to was copper... so not the best armor but it's good practice.

    Then a forgotten best showed up but I wasn't worried since I walled off entrances to the cavers. Or so I thought. While looking around the fort managing the many things that need to be managed I notice that the main hall is really blood with clear signs of an ongoing fight.
    Well wasn't it the friggin forgotten best in person. It was relatively manageable one being a flying creature of flesh with just a poisonouns bite. My militia was doing their thing in the barracks so by the time they arrived to the main hall over half the fort was dead. Apparently the damn beast got through a ridiculously tiny slit between two blocks. A dwarf CAN'T fit through to wall it over BUT a huge ass flying monster can casually move through it...

    Since I had pre-assigned coffins for every dwarf in the fortress burying the dead went smoothly and giving extra labors to certain dwarves got the fort running smoothly again.

    The armor making also went pretty smoothly, my militia members were equipping armor automatically.

    Having nothing much in mind about what should I explore about the infinite maze of overly convoluted mechanics this game got I decided to go for that candy I spotted near the magma forges and prepared to wall off the tunnels if something oddly Lovecraftian would show up again.

    The plan was just to chip off the candy carefully without going too deep into it....
    However nobody told me there's a surprise tube inside. No worries, the gradually loudening circus music and clown honks just meant it's time to wall up and bail...
    The miner trying to put the wall up got completely sunned by the clown's firebreather trick and went missing. I'm guessing he didn't mind the extremely overpriced ticket costs for mediocre performance.

    No worries, I made the exploratory tunnel separate from the one that goes to the magma forges so all I needed to do is to wall up the exploratory tunnel's entrance up at the fort.... too bad the dwarves were really slow that day so the constructon workers didn't arrive quick enough. The readied militia with the now turned into recruits Legendary Miners stood as the last defense against overpriced low effort trash tier circus performance, however the clown's turned out to be an extrememly heavy smoker, so heavy it looked he breathed in an entire carton of cigarettes before the performance so the entire hallway got filled up with smoke and the entire troupe just walked by the dumbfounded and possibly slightly high on the "herbs" in the clown's cigars militia and threw a rave party in the fort.

    I decided to as the fort's last breath I order the wall in the entrance to be deconstructed so the 70+ strong undead invasion can have a great rave party too...
    But nobody gave a shit... seriously NOW of all times hauling random garbage was the top priority for the whole damn fort, the kind of high priority where I manually have to disable everyone's hauling labors and PRAY they will finally stop hauling and do their higher priority labors(they tend to don't, and get stuck in a hauling OCD for a long while) so we couldn't get that tiny bit of revenge on the goddamn necromancer who were sitting in the wilderness ever since the siege began.

    Now my fort remains an eternal prison of the clowns with terrible jokes and un-family-friendly party tricks with merely a measly wooden wall separating them from the outside.

    Honestly I didn't expect clowns to be THAT fast to reach the top of the tube, nor did I expect the candy cone to be structured like that. People were saying how greedy you gotta be for the candy to backfire but I barely dug into it's top and PEEKABOO!!!!! a whole carnival is in my face.

    Well the fort served it's purpose and it was really bad embark with the lack of iron. Although I had access to valuable metals like platinum and gold there was no chance for any form of trade to be established with the unending undead rave party on the surface.

    To be honest I wonder if anything involving the surface is even possible with this new version of undead around... The internet is full of things about goblin invasions from the older versions but thing is I think they actually went extinct or into an endangered species because the world was full of towers a dark civilizations...
    And having encountered the necromancer experiments in combat they are pure bullshit with special abilities that instantly kill dwarves or leave them basically helpless, while also being extremely strong in physical combat.
    And even if you can hold your own the world even with a short or medium history is on the brink of collapse from the unstoppable undead and the villains making plots and sabotage.
    With a long history it seems to always end up in a post-apocalypse where only the dead walk the world and you are forced underground.

    It feels really disappointing because it means it's only a matter of time before it just turns into an evil biome embark where you are playing ant-people simulator with nothing of the iconic things like beef with elves... and beef with those milkdrinker lightweight humans... and beef with the very orc-like goblins... and beef with the dwarves...

    submitted by /u/elixxon
    [link] [comments]

    PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack for Win64 0.47.04-r12! Probably the final 47.04 Starter Pack!

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 06:03 PM PST

    A Cheerful Dwarfish Manual Describing, in Florid Terms, How the Dead Do Not Need Anesthesia.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 08:39 PM PST

    Preview Win64 0.47.05 Pack "Caveat Emptor" Edition with alpha DFhack, TWBT, Dwarf Therapist, Phoebus TWBT tileset, Soundsense, embark profiles, and tidbits.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 03:36 PM PST

    Recently I had an interesting experience.

    Posted: 31 Jan 2021 01:00 PM PST

    I'm very much in the learning phase of DF trying to learn how metalworking works but being tangled up in all the other things that need to be done around the fort... oh well.

    One spooky as hell moment was getting invaded. I check the unit list and it's one of those randomly named OP and broken AF experiments. I quickly order my three unarmored, inexperienced men strong militia holding copper axes to the entrance and order the walling off of the entrance. I prepare for the worst, because in an earlier fort only one such invader went full anime on my similarly inexperienced dwarves dashing around at lightning speeds, disappearing form the screen, then everyone dying suddenly so I didn't had hopes.
    Turns out the attack never came. The entrance have been successfully sealed while the invader just left. Could they have been just passing by while marching to some location maybe?

    A recently arrived metalworker migrant got hit by a secretive mood scribbling stacked cloths, trees and shiny bars. I quickly got together a wood burner and a smelter so he could have the metal he needs but it wasn't enough. Probably wanted silk instead of pigtail or some other metal than copper. Oh well I can finally do metal without necessarily having to find magma at least.... NEAT!

    The guy however went insane and I messed up trying to wall him up because the builders couldn't get to every side because of the impassable parts of metalworker workshop so I assumed he can't pass through those tiles either... he could and very happily did.
    Since my militia kept getting dehydrated I couldn't keep them there at all times and the metalworker went insane when they were away drinking.
    Fives dwarves died in the main hall including the metalworker.
    It was a learning experience since when checking out the reports it turned out that rather than insanity making them some rabid berzerker that just rips civilians apart as I believed insane dwarves actually just cause big brawls in places where many people are piled up.

    So yeah... if there were any militia members or monster slayers in the room it could have ended reeeeal nasty.

    Also it turns out that the reason why I didn't had much issues with corpses in my recent forts is because my instantaneous corpse disposal system that's basically just having a coffin pre-assigned for every member of the fort down in the catacombs makes sure that bodies are so quickly buried I had the tendency not to even notice incidents just wonder why are the walls and stockpiles red and what's that mangled arm doing there.

    Also light aquifers are a godsend. Back when before they were added I remember aquifers just being plain stupid. Kruggsmash has some series from that time penetrating those old ones but it required either freezing temperature to freeze the water or a large system of pumps to out drain the crazy output of the aquifer... The light one is basically slow enough for you to be able to penetrate it and wall it up comfortably. I might eventually try my hand at drowning chambers. Traders seem to always have the best stuff when I'm the most broke...

    Also I was wondering how can you even have pastures without risking something bad coming up from the caverns and it turned out grass and plants grow in roofed off holes that I was using for refuse stockpiles to avoid miasma since it counts as "outside". So I just channeled out a big area, then roofed it off. It does leave dwarves exposed to outside dangers during the roof's construction so it's probably way too risky in evil or overly savage areas so I'll have to figure the atom smasher out.

    After the metal business I'll try to wrap my mind around the noble stuff or before that wrap my head around ways to get rid of them on demand. I'm really paranoid of them getting important dwarves killed and having dumb demands.

    submitted by /u/elixxon
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment