• Breaking News

    Thursday, April 30, 2020

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Dwarf Fortress ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼


    ☼Bi-weekly DF Questions Thread☼

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    Ask about anything related to Dwarf Fortress - including the game, utilities, bugs, problems you're having, mods, etc. You will get fast and friendly responses in this thread.

    Read the sidebar before posting! It has information on a range of game packages for new players, and links to all the best tutorials and quick-start guides. If you have read it and that hasn't helped, mention that!

    You should also take five minutes to search the wiki - if tutorials or the quickstart guide can't help, it usually has the information you're after. You can find the previous questions thread here.

    If you can answer questions, please sort by new and lend a hand - linking to a helpful resource (eg wiki page) is fine.

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    ☼Fortress Friday☼

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 05:10 PM PDT

    Our weekly thread for posting interesting events without cluttering up /r/dwarffortress. Screenshots, stories, details, achievements, or other posts are all welcome here! (That includes adventure and legends mode, even if there's no fortress involved.)

    submitted by /u/AutoModerator
    [link] [comments]

    I called back a squad before they all left, and one of the human 'Damned Ones' came back as a ghost with all their equipment still on. They even are listed as part of my squad

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 10:12 PM PDT

    What an exquisitely perfect temple name!

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 02:53 AM PDT

    Water fun way to die

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 04:36 PM PDT

    Curses, besieged! An army of some 40 goblins, 10 trolls and 30 beak dogs has arrived at our walls. Our miners are yet to strike any serious metals (hurray for tin!) so our army of 30 well trained axe, sword and spear dwarfs would be too vulnerable to send out to meet them carrying nothing but wood. When last we saw goblins we constructed the great labyrinth of tin cage traps, alas far too slowly, for the greenskins got bored and went to get their mates before it was completed. Now their return demands greater construction, for the labyrinth lacks the capacity to absorb this expanded horde. Our attention turns to the old underground irrigation system which has lain unused for years. Its direct connection to the river could provide the required amount of fun to consume the enemy. Fresh tunnels are dug towards the distant hills, with walls decorated by the finest floodgates a dwarf can craft. On the other side of the floodgates a high underground reservoir is carved and filled to the brim. All it takes is a few more strikes of a pickaxe to break through the ground at the end of the tunnel. The goblins hear this instantly and follow the scent of dwarven industry down into the deep dark. At the end of almost 100m of tunnel they are greeted by the slamming shut of floodgates, at the same time the walls open. Under high pressure the water floods the tunnels instantly. Weighed down by copper armour the goblins drown where they stand. The beak dogs try to swim for it, but they were at the head of the pack and the tunnel was longer than they could breathe underwater. The trolls stood the best chance but their final flailing movements towards the exit were too little too late. The few invaders that made it out fled into the hills. They'll be back, they never change. Now to pump out all that water...

    submitted by /u/83n170
    [link] [comments]

    [Kruggsmash] Scorchfountain Ep.7: Glory and Might

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 03:10 AM PDT

    PeridexisErrant's Starter Pack has updated to 0.47.04-r05!

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 10:32 PM PDT

    [Mod] Small fun thing to try for adv mode players

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 09:32 AM PDT

    [INTERACTION:SUMMON_MEGABEAST]

    [I_SOURCE:DEITY] [IS_USAGE_HINT:MAJOR_CURSE] [IS_TRIGGER_STRING_SECOND:have] [IS_TRIGGER_STRING_THIRD:has] [IS_TRIGGER_STRING:unwittingly summoned a powerful beast from another world!] [I_TARGET:A:LOCATION] [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_LOCATION] [I_TARGET:B:LOCATION] [IT_LOCATION:RANDOM_NEARBY_LOCATION:A:5] [I_EFFECT:SUMMON_UNIT] [IE_TARGET:B] [IE_IMMEDIATE] [IE_CREATURE_CASTE_FLAG:MEGABEAST] 

    [INTERACTION:SUMMON_SEMIMEGABEAST]

    [I_SOURCE:DEITY] [IS_USAGE_HINT:MAJOR_CURSE] [IS_TRIGGER_STRING_SECOND:have] [IS_TRIGGER_STRING_THIRD:has] [IS_TRIGGER_STRING:unwittingly summoned a powerful beast from another world!] [I_TARGET:A:LOCATION] [IT_LOCATION:CONTEXT_LOCATION] [I_TARGET:B:LOCATION] [IT_LOCATION:RANDOM_NEARBY_LOCATION:A:5] [I_EFFECT:SUMMON_UNIT] [IE_TARGET:B] [IE_IMMEDIATE] [IE_CREATURE_CASTE_FLAG:SEMIMEGABEAST] 

    Add these into interaction_standard.txt in the raw/objects folder - will require a world regen. Essentially instead of getting cursed into a werebeast or vamp form when rolling the dice too much it should instead summon a megabeast or semimegabeast at your location, who will most likely try to kill you. Can also change MAJOR_CURSE to MEDIUM_CURSE so just rolling badly will summon a megabeast/semimegabeast.

    Works with more major mods too since it just looks for the mega/semimega token.

    submitted by /u/DMaximus5
    [link] [comments]

    FPS Death and its tribulations

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 01:34 PM PDT

    Ok, so I've been playing this fort that has been super successful so far. barely any deaths, three squads of fully trained albeit armorless dwarves, and i would be about to start my underwater cistern/drowing chamber if it wasnt for the sudden drop in fps that slowed my game to a crawl, just when I started building the windmills to power the pumpstack. ive schedulled the slaughter of most of my animals rn, and I am accepting some tips on to how to at least mitigate the drop of fps. it went from being about 30 in one session to idk about 5 or something.

    submitted by /u/PretzelPeasant
    [link] [comments]

    Why me.

    Posted: 30 Apr 2020 12:54 AM PDT

    Forgotten Beast vs My Animals and...

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 09:34 PM PDT

    Forgotten Beast vs My Animals and...

    My pen/pasture is underground for security reasons. Common as usual, with ducks, hens, cats, boars, 1 Black Bear, 3 Grizzly Bears with 3 cute cubs, and the list go on. This evening a Poison fiend Forgotten Beast decided to visit my underground cave, a few meters away from my pasture. I've sent my military squad to kill it, but they were still far away from the encounter, so before they arrive, my tamed animals would be surely dead. Since there's almost no one into the cave to help them.

    So it began.

    One of my war trained Grizzly Bears promptly advanced and clashed into the beast, scratching and biting his leg, gripping into it. The beast broke the grip and throw him away, slamming into a poor drake. A Duck that was near the conflict took his part and tried his best, but suffered a similar throw. A turkey gobbler snatched at the FB second leg bruising the fat, and a blue peacock bit his body. An image of a pack of animals flying towards a beast trying to defend themselves come to mind, what brave little fellows.

    But there's still a short figure with a smell of alcohol near them.

    I thought they were really alone, but an unarmed Animal Caretaker suddenly appeared and jumped to punch the uninvited guest repeatedly, as if some unknown force possessed her since she had any combat skills. Even scratches into the mouth of the beast with punches afterward, she furiously fought it, and after bruising the monster's brain, the creature suddenly fell to my surprise. She really won the last strike...a few casualties like cats without heads, and dead yaks in the cavern floor, but it went not so bad after all. I renamed her an animal legendary beat killer...and the 3 bear cubs were fine and well.

    The FB was not a fragile giant blob, so I was really impressed, normally my animals run like there's no tomorrow, but this evening was quite different. Do you guys have any similar experiences?

    My prints look like goblin work, since I don't have the patience anymore to edit, so don't mind it.

    https://preview.redd.it/upy0alikvvv41.jpg?width=1472&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=0fe536c79c70362be72adfd3df978025e0193a58

    submitted by /u/efensan
    [link] [comments]

    I want to enjoy this game, but a few things are preventing me...

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 08:12 PM PDT

    I am hoping maybe there are some solutions to this, I DO enjoy micromanagement games typically BUT DF is a whole other level. That being said I feel like I am too focused on being perfect/OCD on how I design my fortress (and seeing other people's SUPER meticulously designed ones)

    Here are my hangups:

    1. I am worried about FPS death and it seems inevitable. I have a pretty beefy computer...but is there anything I can do to avoid this? Is there a population cap maybe that would be good if I don't want to be overwhelmed? (maybe 50-60 or so?)
    2. Sort of pointing at the above, I hate having such a "Discrete/unnatural" workshop setup. I typically have 3 levels: Kitchen/Dining hall and related workshops in one area, farming and related in another on first level. One level down I do wood workshops, and another level down I have stone/weapons/etc.., This probably isn't the "best" but I guess Im led to believe that anything but the most efficient workshop is going to cause my game a slow FPS death or a shitty fortress.
    3. Managing labor is absolutely the thing that bothers me the most is managing labor. I typically don't pick individual labors but tend to assign someone to a group (Same colors in Dwarf Therapist). For example someone does Stone/Mason type things, someone would do anything regarding carpentry, same with farming, cooking etc... Is this poor practice? I just don't see how people keep up with labors when they have 100+ dwarfs

    Is this game just maybe not for me? I enjoy it but these things hang me up. Maybe im just chasing perfection so I get discouraged with having to manage little things. Especially #3 is the one big one that tends to make me discouraged to play.

    submitted by /u/mercfh85
    [link] [comments]

    Dwarf Fortress A New World Awaits! "Ruspstrasp - The Eternal Planet"

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 07:56 PM PDT

    You win this time, snail.

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 03:00 PM PDT

    That was not what I expected to see...

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 03:16 PM PDT

    Human Paladin Fun

    Posted: 29 Apr 2020 02:58 PM PDT

    So i just had a fort die to a single human paladin and im super confused as to what started this slaughter spree off but i have a few theories

    1. there were 2 Dwarven necromancers in my fort, i imagine its possible that the paladin tried to kill them and thus angered the surrounding Dwarves leading to him deciding to burn my fort to the ground
    2. there is a vampire in my fort somewhere, it could be that the paladin found him and the same thing happened
    3. looking at the combat logs it appears several of my dwarves started fighting each other (no idea why) it could be the paladin sided with one group of dwarves that happened to be eradicated and then being the last man standing...kill kill etc.
    4. there was a human trade caravan in my depot at the time and a diplomat left unhappy, so that could have driven the paladin to its murder spree

    other than that i have NO idea what happened but i have the biggest grin on my face from the sheer ridiculousness of a paladin murdering innocent civilians for perceptively no reason

    submitted by /u/Bomtaker01
    [link] [comments]

    No comments:

    Post a Comment